The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What Have You Done With Lords of The Expanse?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What Have You Done With Lords of The Expanse?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omega_Leader
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: What Have You Done With Lords of The Expanse? Reply with quote

I just purchased the Lords of The Expanse boxed set on Ebay for not much more than what it originally retailed for, and in near mint condition, supposedly. Seller says it's shrink-wrapped and all, but on Ebay I always take statements like that with a grain of salt--anybody can get a shrinkwrap machine. But, assuming the seller is being absolutely truthful, this is a GOOD purchase.

Sorry if I sound braggy. I actually expected to pay much more for this boxed set, and it could still turn out that it is, in fact, thrashed. Hope not, though. Anyway, on to the true purpose of this thread.

I was just wondering if any of you have ever had the LoTE boxed set, and/or the Player's Guide to Tapani and Tapani Instant Adventures, and if so, what you ever did with them? I once had all of the above, and I thought the material lent itself well to whole campaigns just in the Tapani sector, or at least, as part of a Tapani House. What do you think?

O_L

p.s. it's Friday, I've had beer, and I'm playing with colors...heh, heh, heh.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funky post, Omega. 8)

Well, I have all the Tapani books in PDF form, but I don't think I'll ever really do a "Lord of the Expanse" campaign. I just don't like the feel of it for Star Wars. I think it seems more like a Dune setting... But still, there's some very usable information and stats in those books. And I suppose a one-off adventure in the Tapani sector might be a nice change of air, I just wouldn't like to linger there for too long and get into this whole "noble houses intrigue" deal.
Darth_Kjeran
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chello!

Gry Sarth wrote:
I think it seems more like a Dune setting...

Which is the exact reason I liked it. it reminded me of my sector that I had created well before LoE came out. I even had a duelling tradition, light-shields (before Ep1), etc...Loved it!

Tony
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have LotE, but I ran a three parter on on Kuat once with the PCs being a tramp freighter crew caught up in Kuat Noble House shenanigans. No lightfoils and such, but they had a job to finish and they didn't know whom to trust.

Of course, when in doubt, lob thermal detonators.
Tejma_Muhog
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A disturbing number of PCs and NPCs in my campaigns have come from Tapani, according to their character histories. I think a big reason why is how well mapped-out and developed the sector is. Plus everybody wants to be the child of rich parents. Rolling Eyes

I don't actually open the ol' Expanse box too often -- partly because one of my cats nearly eviscerated the Campaign Guide one time when he was sitting on it, got startled, and dug his rear claws into the page to propel himself away. (Never been so close to felicide.) But also, my campaigns usually just don't stick around the region very long.

I can think of two specific adventures that actually took place IN Tapani Sector:

One character was abducted by her best friend's evil dad (one of the Lamere family from the boxed set) and connected to a virtual-reality machine without her knowledge. She spent several days in what she thought was reality, but was actually a mental projection thereof. Once she got suspicious, he pulled the plug and his son betrayed him and rescued the PC from the ancient Lamere Castle.

In the other, a character was trying to deliver evidence against her own psychotic mother that she'd killed the PC's father, and when the PC and the ship she'd hired reverted at Pelagon via the secret hyperspace route, her mother sent four Skipray Blastboats to stop her from landing and sent an audiovisual communication of herself clutching the severed head of her second husband. (Maybe it was third; I've lost track.) In the end, the mother was busted and exiled.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up this box but I haven't had a chance to look through it yet. I've heard the "It just doesn't seem like Star Wars" complaint but to me nobles and Houses are just as much Star Wars as blasters and lightsabers. After all, the first main character in the original trilogy we meet is a "princess". Later on in the same movie we meet Grand Moff Tarkin who also comes from a powerful family. I don't really think of Houses as being something exclusive to the Tapani sector but spread throughout the galaxy, especially near the Core. The Tapani sector is a place where they are just particularly powerful.

I've always been intrigued by adventures that involve the nobility. In the 2nd edition rulebook there was an adventure hook that involved a princess running away from her family bartering passage on the characters' ship. Of course this got the characters in a lot of trouble.

Another one was a planet in the Minos Cluster(Galaxy Guide 6) where a planet of exiled Houses lives under the watchful eye of the Empire. They search every ship that leaves, making sure no nobles escape.

Anyway, IMHO this is an aspect of the Star Wars universe that is neglected but offers fantastic potential for adventure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: