The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Autofire?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Autofire? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group has a simple house rule for Autofiring Blasters...

For every point above the minimum required for hitting a target (Range Difficulty + Dodge roll), an additional bolt hit. This is to show the limited (If any) recoil and relative ease of control that an Autofiring Blaster has.

Simple, cheap, useable. Particularily when you start equipping entire boarding teams with Prax Blast & Smash Rifles...

We got very, very rich, and *VERY* special ordered them. Reverse engeneering type of special order!

The Boarding Commanding Officer walks into "Ye Olde Black Market Shoppe", and the owner goes, "I may close earily today."... Then sees what is really ordered, and corrects himself.

"I may retire earily today..." Laughing
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea House Rule: Autofire weapons increase damage one die, but fire 1D6+6 shots of ammo per round.

If a character is armed with a repeating blaster I allow him to "supress" the enemy if they don't make a command roll. I give graphic descriptions of fences, trees, and the front of buildings being blown apart. This is usually enough of "cool bonus" that players are happy with the small game mechanic bonus.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you handle multiple shots to a single target?

I was just wondering because I have had this discussion with some other folk in PM’s and its now pretty much a given that in the films we have seen auto fire, but there are still no official rules for it.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-1D to hit per burst. Each burst doing +1D damage (if it hits) and consuming 1D6+6 rounds per burst.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok then.
Now I'm sorted on that.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While these rules are for firearms, they could be adapted for blasters...

Auto fire rules
Many weapons, such as the SMGs, LMGs, assault rifles etc, have the ability to fire more than one bullet in rapid succession. This is represented by either a burst fire rate, or by full auto listing. Submachine guns and assault rifles are only capable of limited 3 round bursts, while For assault rifles and SMGs, choosing to go burst mode, adds 1D to the weapons single shot damage. For LMGs MMGs and HMGs add 1d+2 to the weapons base damage.
When choosing to use the full auto option, the user must either have a minimum of 24 rounds left in a 30 round clip (SMGs), 28 for a 36 round clip (assault rifles), or 38 rounds for a 50 round belt. .It uses the whole round (other than a half move), and is like a full piloting/dodge in that no other (dice rolling required) action (other than strength rolls for damage reduction) are allowed.

Full automatic fire, is just spraying a lot of ammo, in the hope of hitting the target(s) and causing more damage than the weapons single shot or burst fire could do. Depending on the weapon, you get a number of dice to add when going full auto, to the damage pool and the to hit pool (firearms skill). There are 2 ways to use full auto fire.

F.A.S.T:
Or full auto single target. This is basically shooting a lot of rounds at one target hoping the excessive amount of bullets hitting it will drop it. The target gets to add the recoil value as normal, but you get a bonus of 1-3 dice to hit due to the high number of bullets flying the target’s way. If you still hit, you add a number of dice to the damage based on the weapon.

Weapon To hit bonus dice Damage bonus dice
Sub machine guns (SMG) 1D 3D+1
Assault rifles 2D 3D+2
Light machine guns (LMG) 2D+2 4D
Medium machine guns (MMG) 3D+1 4D+1
Heavy machine guns (HMG) 4D 4D+2

Spray fire.
This is the act of moving the guns barrel to the left and right rapidly, while holding down the trigger. It is also a full round action (half move can be allowed), and so can not be used with reaction skills. Unlike FAST, this must have a FULL clip or 50 round belt. It can be used in 2 fashions. Cover fire, or to damage:

Damage sprays.
The gunner makes ONE roll, adding in the bonus dice he gets for the weapon. Each target within the area above 1 (for SMGs and assault rifles) or 5 (for LMG to HMG) subtracts one from this die pool. Then each of those targets gets to add in the recoil value to their individual dodge rolls. If any are hit, the damage is rolled individually.

Weapon To hit bonus dice Damage bonus dice
Sub machine guns (SMG) 3D 1D
Assault rifles 3D 2D
Light machine guns (LMG) 4D 3D
Medium machine guns (MMG) 4D 3D
Heavy machine guns (HMG) 5D 4D

Cover sprays.
Unlike the former, this is not used to cause damage, but to stop the enemy from returning fire. The user still gets the addition of the FA dice (listed above), but does NOT subtract any dice for targets in the spray field. BUT he does subtract dice based on the AREA of the spray field. The gunner THEN rolls, against a difficulty assigned by the GM (based on range to the area for the cover spray, cover/concealment in the cover spray area and any other factors he deems necessary). If it hits, anyone in the area of cover spray suffers a penalty to their to hit pools of –3 per 5 points of difference between the gunners to hit pool and the diff set.

AREA MOD AREA MOD AREA MOD
5mtr by 5mtr No pen 10mtr by 10mtr -1d 15mtr by 15mtr -1d+2
20mtr by 20mtr -2d+1 25mtr by 25mtr -3d 30mtr by 30mtr -3d+2
35mtr by 35mtr -4d+1 40mtr by 40mtr -5d 45mtr by 45mtr -5d+2

As an examole of each..

F.A.S.T:
John has an assault rifle. He just got done reloading it, when through the airlock comes a quartet of Zero G troopers. 3 of them head towards engineering, but the fourth sees john and starts for him. During the next rounds initiave john rolls and wins. He declares a full auto on the trooper. As the Assault rifle has a recoil value of 15 for going full auto, he rolls the dodge roll and adds 15 to it. John adds in 2D for a F.A.S.T. to his 6d+1 firearms skill. The dodge roll comes up 18. +15 for using full automatic, and john sees he needs 33 to hit that generator. Luckily he rolls 39 and smacks it dead center. He then rolls damage (5d+1 base for the assault rifle and adds in 3d+2 for 9d total damage. Even adding in the Zero g troopers armor, this is enough to drop him dead.

Damage Spray:
Later on, john’s buddy, Borrial, has added a HMG to his ships defensive weapons complement. It is mounted on a hard point (which is counted as a tripod). John, has to sit this raid out due to leg injuries, so he volunteers to stay behind and man it. As the rest of the team is returning, they are being tracked/followed by 30 storm troopers. John notices the troopers following his team mates, just as they are clearing the tree-line (the troopers that is). He opts for a quick belt burst to lessen their numbers. The troopers do not yet know of john’s presence and so have no dodge, but the range is currently medium range (moderate, which the gm sets at 13). They are still in the edge of the woods, so the gm gives them 2d worth of cover/concealment, and rolls a 9 (bringing the diff up to 22), plus the HMGs full auto rating of 15 for being on a hard point (tripod), for a grand total of 37. His firearms of 7d gets a bonus of 5d for going full auto, but john is trying to take out 9 of the enemy for this round, lessening his firearms skill by 4d (5 for free –1d per opponent beyond 5). His roll is poor, only a 18, and so he completely misses everyone. Next round, now that the stormies are alerted to his presence they start to fire on his comrades and dodge. John tries again, to take out the same 9 troopers. They will add 20 to their dodge roll this round (15 for full auto recoil value and 5 for the cover this round). The 9 troopers roll 13, 16, 19, 10, 8, 18, 28, 16, and 12. Making their dodges from worst to best (inc the modifications) 28, 30, 32, 33, 36, 36, 38, 39, 48. Johns roll is a lot better, at a whopping 37. He hits all but the last 3 troopers in his spray. Killing the other 6 with ease.

Cover Spray:
The next round, john sees his buddies coming under heavy imperial fire, and so opts for his last 50-round belt (from this ammo box) to be for a cover spray. As he is not technically targeting the imperials, they get no dodge. He decides to target a 30x30 meter area (most of the storm troopers are within that), which minuses 3d+2 from his to hit pool. His difficulty is 13 for the range, 11 (for the cover for this round), and the gm adds in a further 5 due to situational modifiers (stress) for a total of 29. John’s roll is a 44, a difference of 15, and so applies a penalty to all the imperials firing of 9 to their roll. They all miss. The next round, john’s luck has finally ran out when the imperials tag his position with a shoulder launched missile.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal, are those house rules or are those from the new D6 Adventure book?

When I first started playing Star Wars, I had after much deliberation created some house rules for burst fire weapons and repeaters. Repeaters have a higher damage code than traditional basters, and I always took this to indicate hitting with multiple shots (which the write ups supported). So, to adapt for multiple targets and spraying I made a very simple rule. A character using a repeater could sacrifice up to 1/3 his D in damage and hit either 1-3 more targets by spreading the burst (i.e. a light repeater at 6D could sacrifice 2D and potentially hit 4 targets), this was at a no-action penalty (1 action). Also, a Repeating weapon could sacrifice up 1/3 it's D of damage and add it to the firer's weapon skill to hit by spraying an area, and thus increasing his odds at hitting (but may also hit friendlies and innocents in the target area) (i.e. a light repeater of 6D could sacrifice 2D damage and the character adds 2D to his blaster for that attack). A character could not do BOTH in the same action. These house rules were simple, quick, and cinimatic, lending to the overall feel of the Star Wars game, and I still use them today for many weapons. I'm all about not overcomplicating the game.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

House. I have refined them over around 6 years of playing and gming, also from inputs from people over on the holonet.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...seems awfully complicated.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
House. I have refined them over around 6 years of playing and gming, also from inputs from people over on the holonet.

Ok, I was curious because they read as if very refined and well written, if abit complex. It made me wonder if they were from the newer D6 adventure (as I see no way they can avoid covering burst and autofire rules and weapons in a contemporary book and wonder how they approached it).
It is a shame WEG never really clearly stated rules for the Repeating Blasters and slugthrowers in the base rules books or the initial sourcebooks.
Lord Ben
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, yeah. Personally what I would do is just say that for each additional shot they get +1 pip to the attack roll. Spray and pray...
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd just assign a weapon a focus and spray damage code. Focus is when firing at one target, spray is well, a spray. Focus fire deals a lot more damage, and assumes the PC will be shooting the entire round.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the complement KageRyu. And yes they seem complicated at first, but after a few uses of them in game, all those who have used them (around 13-15 or so at the mo) have gotten the gist. Heck 2 even printed it out and had it by their character sheets.

Yes i do have a number of playes who do go with archaic weapons, like slug throwers...
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have entire planets that use archaic weapons (like the one my players are on in the current adventure). Never underestimate the power of an SMG (which is causing significant trouble for our resident Jedi). However, in general gaming terms, I try to keep rules as least complex as possible for the D6 system, as that is the beuty of the D6 system is the simplicity. That is why I tend to carefully weigh what should be handled as new skills or advanced skills, etc. I like to keep it fast and dramatic, with as few charts and tables to refer to as possible. Other games systems I played get much more realistic, and much gritier, and usually if I decide I need more realism, I will run one of those instead of SW.
But that's also part of the uniqueness of every group, every group has it's own "flavor" so even a setting as well know as Star Wars can varry from group to group.
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the rules basically meant you could take up to six shots as a single action. Meaning you'd take the full MAPs penalty, but they'd resolve before anyone got their second action.

They'd make lovely ambush weapons, seeing how if you sneak at at least close range (not hard with a repeater) then open fire, you're getting a difficulty 5 to hit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: