The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Snipers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Snipers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamlumina93
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Snipers Reply with quote

What is all the GM's preference on snipers? I dont mind using them but sometimes I feel bad if I eliminate a good players character without giving them any chance to react.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personnal, I use snipers for the story. I perfer not using them that much on PCs (well, not without them having a warning that a sniper my be out there).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snipers are not always perfect, and who is to say their first targets are the PCs? As long as it should be clear what situation they are in, sure, use a sniper.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of those who will use snipers, if it makes sense for them to be there. Case and point, 2 threads on them (see below)..

One of those threads, involved the pcs messing with a hutt over a long time, eventually stepping it up to directly threatning the hutt. He hired 2 snipers to kill the ring leaders of the pc group.

2nd time i have had them used, was in a home game where the pcs were leading a rebel base, in a war against an imperial base. They had used sniping several times before, so i had the imperial base commander request a pair for him to use....
Tejma_Muhog
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I perfer not using them that much on PCs (well, not without them having a warning that a sniper my be out there).

Ditto. I have only used snipers who aren't terribly competent -- in other words, they don't get their kill on the first shot. It works to put the fear of god into PCs who are accustomed to being able to walk right up to an enemy and fight him, and it can be a good way to "steer" a party in a particular geographic direction (if not overused).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if they are not competent, then why use them? To me it is like the parent who always threatens the kid with punishment, then never follows through. What was the point in making the threat then...
Tejma_Muhog
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said they don't *kill* on the first shot. They may very well wound, maim, permanently scar, or otherwise cause the mission to fail. Death is not the only doom available to PCs.
Twisted Evil
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as they get the message that they can die, it works pretty well. More like the parent who takes something away and than says that if you don't straighten up your not getting it back. They know for damn sure you can do something.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tejma_Muhog wrote:
I said they don't *kill* on the first shot. They may very well wound, maim, permanently scar, or otherwise cause the mission to fail. Death is not the only doom available to PCs.
Twisted Evil

But why would a sniper get called in, if killing the target was not what was wanted???
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because even if the sniper didn't "succeed" by killing the PCs, the GM will hopefully have succeeded in waking the players up to the fact that they've been screwing up. That if they don't get their act together, there's more snipers where that one came from, and now they'll have even greater reason to take the PCs out- for killing one of their own.

There are many possible outcomes for such an encounter as this, and as long as the players prove teachable and change the way their characters do business, then everyone wins.

If not, the GM kicks it up by a factor of five, and wipes the PCs from the galaxy and invites the players to stat up new characters to run.
beaumont sebos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use snipers because, well, snipers make sense in many situations. If I were a bounty hunter, a long distance surprise shot would be my best move.

But to make it fair for characters... I use a surprise rule:

If you are going to use a surprise (and a sniper trying to shoot at you is trying to surprise), you must call your action and follow through with that action no matter what!

Here's an example. I have an NPC that's going to snipe at a PC. I say, "SURPRISE! A sniper is going to shoot at you!" We roll surprise, now 3 things can happen...

1) NPC wins surprise, so the shot is fired and on to initiative.
2) NPC loses surprise. We roll initiative and NPC wins. Shot is fired, but since PC is not surprised, they can use a reaction roll. In addition, they have actions when it's their turn.
3) NPC loses surprise. We roll initiative and PC wins. PC can use any action they want (since PC doesn't know location of NPC, they will usually search for the attacker and point the NPC out to other companions). NPC can't do ANYTHING except their called surprise action (i.e. no reaction rolls! However, I will usually have the NPC surprise action include ducking behind an object after the shot was fired.)

Has worked out well for years... except I have one PC that is now raising his Surprise skill pretty high. I might have to put a cap on it or something.

Another thing I do is what I call a Blind Initiative. I'll say "Initiative!" and everyone rolls initiative. If PCs win, they have no idea what's going to happen, so they'll usually either search around or wait to do a reaction roll. If NPC wins, I'll shoot. This method allows for PC reaction rolls no matter what. But by the same token, my NPC can dodge if the PCs shoot back.

"Saving the multiverse, one Gamorrean Ale at a time."
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, and where would that Surprise skill fit in a character's stats? Wouldn't that be the same as rolling Perception or Search in order to check if the PCs notice the ruffling of leaves nearby, as the sniper readies his shot, or perhaps catch a glimpse of light reflecting off the sniper's scope or somthing like that? If you're giving your PCs a chance to not be surprised by the attack, there has to be a plausible giveaway for the sniper's presence and intention. If the sniper is miles away, in the dark, and the PCs are carelessly drinking beer and laughing. There's just no way they ever notice the attacker until he fired the first shot.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time, i give the snipers a sneak/hide roll, versus a search/perception roll from the PCs as a group, then a second perception check for the one being shot at. If they fail, they are caught dead footed, and the sniper gets his shot off...

So far, i have used snipers around 8 times. 3 singles, 1 pairing and 1 trio (training op for the merc company the pcs were raiding came accross them).

Most of my snipers follow the same skill set..

EG this is the best sniper i have had (as npc).
Dex 4d. Blaster 4d+2 (S) Pistol 6d, dodge 8d, firearms 4d+2, (S) sniper rifle 12d+1, missile weapons 5d+2, melee and melee parry 6d
Know 2d+2. Alien species 5d, bureaucracy 5d, cultures 4d+2, languages 4d+2, law 5d+1, survival 6d, willpower 6d
Per 3d+2. bargain 4d+1, command 4d+1, hide 5d, investigation 5d+2, search 6d+2, sneak 8d+2,
Mech 3d. Repulsor ops 5d, sensors 6d, comms 5d
Tech 3d. Firearm repair 6d, first aid 5d+2.

Most of his skills would be to augument/assist sniping (like comms and sensors), aid in his hunt (like search, investigation), or for self preservation (blaster pistol spec for close in combat, and melees for when someone is on him).

Most of the snipers i have used had a specific objective (other than the above listed trio), which was kill X person (or 3 people).. Once that is done, they slink off..
beaumont sebos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Uh, and where would that Surprise skill fit in a character's stats? Wouldn't that be the same as rolling Perception or Search in order to check if the PCs notice the ruffling of leaves nearby, as the sniper readies his shot, or perhaps catch a glimpse of light reflecting off the sniper's scope or somthing like that? If you're giving your PCs a chance to not be surprised by the attack, there has to be a plausible giveaway for the sniper's presence and intention. If the sniper is miles away, in the dark, and the PCs are carelessly drinking beer and laughing. There's just no way they ever notice the attacker until he fired the first shot.

Surprise is under perception. And I modify the rolls based on the circumstances (such as you listed). As one example, the characters were in a tense negotiation with a hostile NPC. One of my characters decided he would try to surprise his opponent with a punch to the face. Since the situation was already tense and the NPC was surely ready for action, I modified the NPCs roll by 20 to fit the situation.

(In the situation, the NPC won the surprise and then the subsequent initiative. He then blasted the attacking PC, who could do nothing because the only action he could make was his called surprise action of punching.)

beaumont sebos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I forgot to mention... Even if the situation is that the sniper is miles away in the dark and the PCs are laughing and drinking beer... I consider the surprise skill to almost be an instinct, a sixth senth, if you will.

If there is no physical, plausible way for them to have noticed the surprise, I chalk it up to the hairs rising on their arms.

I think it plays very well into the whole "high adventure" feel of the SW universe.

Last edited by beaumont sebos on Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: