The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Giving a DSP for killing a helpless being?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Giving a DSP for killing a helpless being? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Give out DSP
Yes
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
No
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 19

Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Giving a DSP for killing a helpless being? Reply with quote

I need your help in a decision. One of my players is force-sensitive. They were on search for a wise man, being 6 days late from his regular meditations in a cave in the swamplands. They got help from a hunter in hunt for one of the great (60ft) wyrm living in this swampland. He said he knows a hillside where caves are, and would fetch them there if they help him hunting this wyrm as his lat huntig party was heavily wounded. The characters agreed, as the planet was dangerous and usually cloudy and it would be hard to find something on their own. The wise man was necessary, as the group had a force relic which they were told by its former owners spirit to fetch to this man to prevent it from falling into the hands of an imperial inquisitor.

During their first night a wyrm attacked. One of the characters jumped upon the wyrm, armed with his vibro-knife, using a forcepoint and wounding him. Later, the force-sensitive character jumped onto the wyrm. The wyrm got hit by several shots of other characters and decided to retreat. The fs-character kept tight on him, using a force-point, declaring 12 actions. He was a good brawler and beat him into unconsciousness. But that wasn´t enough. He kept on kicking the wyrm with his remaining 9 attacks until he was sure he´s dead.

They later found the wise men and rescued him (another story)

I decided neither of the players gets his forcepoint back. I think you would have ruled the same, wouldn´t you?. But i and some of my players wonder if the fs-character should get a DSP, too, for killing a helpless being.Of course they could have tried finding the wise men without the help of the hunter and the necessity to kill a being, but would probably have needed longer.

The question summarized is: Should i give out a DSP for killing a helpless, retreating being, although it was killed to better the chances to rescue some other being to prevent the progress of the dark side?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say let him go with a warning. His character was too reckless, too obstinated on the kill. Even though it might be a justified kill, it seems to me he got too caught up in the excitement of the moment, which is not very Jedi-like. However it's not enough to warrant a DSP.

Definetly do not return the spent FP.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Gry. Definitely do not return the Force Points.

While the FS character is technically not a Jedi yet (I assume), since he's FS and could become a Jedi down the road, he needs to learn now that one only kills when all other means have failed. A Jedi is supposed to take it VERY seriously when the need to kill arises, because they were unable to reach a peaceful solution. This character did not; rather, he became WAY too abandoned to the kill.

Granted, he wanted to make SURE the wyrm was no longer a threat to the party; but what other methods could he have used? Certainly there had to be some alternatives.

If the party has not yet met the wise man, it would be very within your rights (let alone the spirit of the campaign) for this mystic to pull the FS character aside, telling him how he witnessed this act of aggression through the Force, and to warn him away from that kind of action.

Fear, anger, aggression. A path to the dark side, are they.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Gry & Skyler on this as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
gbjazzman
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with the others. I think giving a DSP for this would have been a tad overkill, not returning the FPs was perfectly acceptable.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree, DSP all the way. He willfully spent the FP after the wyrm was out, kicking and hitting him till (in his word) he was dead... that is to my opinion way overkill...

Quote:
Granted, he wanted to make SURE the wyrm was no longer a threat to the party; but what other methods could he have used? Certainly there had to be some alternatives.

The wyrm was fleeing, it was already No longer a threat.
Sandokiri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Giving a DSP for killing a helpless being? Reply with quote

Robert wrote:
I need your help in a decision. One of my players is force-sensitive. They were on search for a wise man, being 6 days late from his regular meditations in a cave in the swamplands. They got help from a hunter in hunt for one of the great (60ft) wyrm living in this swampland. He said he knows a hillside where caves are, and would fetch them there if they help him hunting this wyrm as his lat huntig party was heavily wounded. The characters agreed, as the planet was dangerous and usually cloudy and it would be hard to find something on their own. The wise man was necessary, as the group had a force relic which they were told by its former owners spirit to fetch to this man to prevent it from falling into the hands of an imperial inquisitor.

During their first night a wyrm attacked. One of the characters jumped upon the wyrm, armed with his vibro-knife, using a forcepoint and wounding him. Later, the force-sensitive character jumped onto the wyrm. The wyrm got hit by several shots of other characters and decided to retreat. The fs-character kept tight on him, using a force-point, declaring 12 actions. He was a good brawler and beat him into unconsciousness. But that wasn´t enough. He kept on kicking the wyrm with his remaining 9 attacks until he was sure he´s dead.

They later found the wise men and rescued him (another story)

I decided neither of the players gets his forcepoint back. I think you would have ruled the same, wouldn´t you?. But i and some of my players wonder if the fs-character should get a DSP, too, for killing a helpless being.Of course they could have tried finding the wise men without the help of the hunter and the necessity to kill a being, but would probably have needed longer.

The question summarized is: Should i give out a DSP for killing a helpless, retreating being, although it was killed to better the chances to rescue some other being to prevent the progress of the dark side?

At the point where the wyrm was rendered unconscious (after the third of twelve, FORCE POINT augmented attacks,) the other nine attacks would definitely merit a DSP, even if its "helpless and retreating" would have been only worth a warning for pressing the attack. (Had he stopped at three, no DSP, but a warning, preferrably from the mystic. Razz )

Now, as for whether Mack the Vibro-Knife gets his FP back, it depends. If you consider fighting against the wyrm, under those circumstances, to be heroic, then you might consider granting that FP. It's apparent that you did not, and that is also fine; it could go either way.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also consider this:

Is the wyrm a sentient being? If not, and especially if the characters have never dealt with one before, then the only way they'd know FOR SURE if the wyrm was fleeing was if you, as GM, specifically told them. For all the characters know, this is standard operating procedure for a wyrm that's determined to make the kill, but knows it's outclassed. It would have to regroup and try a different tactic. Perhaps the wyrm is capable of burrowing, and is attempting to get away long enough to begin a tunnel...

Anyway, you asked for opinions. They're like armpits; everyone has some, and a lot of them stink! Wink
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyway, you asked for opinions. They're like armpits; everyone has some, and a lot of them stink! Wink

Yeah, and i thank all of you for answering my post . Before i started this thread we actually discussed most of the arguments you gave me in our gaming group. But i was still indecisive. Mackie the Vibro-Knife argued he wants no DSP, but the FS-C should get one, and he argued i would be biased. Well, most of you guys backup my decision, but some of them backup the DSP. I will keep waiting till short to the next session before i finally decide.

Thanks, and keep on voting!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree the vibro knife guy does not deserve one, but i am not sure if he warrents his FP back. I don't really see how this was heroic..
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Robert,
Let have a look to the rules Smile

On chapter 3 (Gamemaster section), there is an explanation of how get force point back. There are 4 points :
Doing evil, being unheroic, be heroic and be heroic at the dramatically appropriate moment.
One of the exemples given for doing evil is "Killing except self defense or the defense of other".
Using a Force point in an attempt to defeat a dangerous wyrm in order to protect the other members of the group is of course an heroic action BUT the way of being heroic is as important as the purpose... Confused
Using the Force to defeat the wyrm doesn't means kill. More of that to take the descision of keeping hitting an unconsciousness target is definitively an evil action. The character has clearly failed on the temptation of the dark side which pushed the fs-character on slaying the knocked out wyrm. The character had the opportunity to avoid to kill, but he didn't follow this way. "That wasn't enough"(temptation from dark side) He decided to continue until he was sure the wrym dead !

So, for the character who attaqued the wyrm with a vibro-knife : give him back is force point at the end (except if he shows a real will of slaying => temptation of dark side) and for the fs-character : he looses his force point and gain a DSP. Next time, pay attention to warn this player of the concequences of the actions of his character if he continues in this way the dark side will have him...

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Neo-Paladin
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, hunting seems like more of a morally neutral action. I've always assumed the killing the rule book refers to is the killing of a sentient, else eating meat is of the Dark Side. His method of dispatch might have been more... brutal than a clean blaster shot, but now we're getting into a gray moral area. Did he intend to torture the wyrm or just kill it? Proving intent can be difficult at best.

Something else to consider that might make my post above moot: while normally I ignore the rule that requires the GM to give the player warning that their action will incur a DSP, something like this is pretty subjective to be passing out DSP's on. If you didn't give warning at the time, I'd say it would be the wrong choice to give retroactive DSP.

Granted, the use of a Force Point was superfluous, but that was the player's call to make, and the player's point to lose.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, still hitting an already unconsious or otherwise helpless target is imo willful evil. That fact is compounded by the fact he is on a force point.
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Force Point was spent before the creature was dead, but after the GM decided it was to retreat.

How many of you would know when a bear is retreating or just circling out to try a new attack?

Precisely. Unless your Force-sensitive character is competent with beast speech or some other Sense-related skill, he would not know that the creature was leaving the engagement.

However, the Force Point was not used at a dramatically appropriate moment, and not during the time that he/she and/or the party was in mortal danger. Ergo, no Force Point is returned.

This skirts the issue of the Force-sensitive character's actions, which I think are suspect, but not inherently evil.

But, what I want to know is, 12 actions? With the expenditure of a Force Point? You wanna run that one by me?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it also says that you can get a DSP for willful unneccessary gratuous injury. Kicking a downed and unconsious animal (this wyrm) until he is dead, imo definatly hits that point..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: