The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Anyone know of a free to use mapmaker?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Anyone know of a free to use mapmaker?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Anyone know of a free to use mapmaker? Reply with quote

I am stuggling with making maps for some missions and campaign and was womdering if anyone of you rancors know of a place to maye make basic line maps, but free as my ecconomy is starting to be affected by the current state of affairs.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some free random map generators that give you a layout and grid, but you don't necessarily have to follow their populated lists for encounters or room descriptions.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is absolutely something
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check my old links archive when I have time and see if any survived. In the meantime I would recommend getting a free graphics program like GiMP or Krita, and raiding free brush, PNG, and image resources for mappers and RPGers at Deviantart and other art themed sites that have stock. If you look very hard you may find scans and pdfs on the net of some old miniature board games that used tiles you could cut up in a graphics program to make maps (stuff like Space Hulk, Space Crusade, some of the modules for Warzone and mutant Chronicles).

I was, at one point, scanning maps from various RPG books and organizing a master map collection for different types of locations to use as stock (lots of maps in old shadowrun books that can be repurposed).
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one has a free trial and looks very promising https://www.mapforge-software.com/

These appear to be free or have a free version, or ask only to offer a donation if you like them:
https://www.rptools.net/
https://inkarnate.com/
https://deepnight.net/tools/rpg-map/

Many of the links I had are now dead. You might be able to find Dungeonforge using the Wayback machine, but there is also a game by the same name so it will be difficult. I had used Dungeonforge a bit and it let you import your own assets and art, which was nice.

You may find some good links here:
https://wiki.roll20.net/Useful_links_for_mapping

The better programs are not free though. I have a friend who keeps trying to get me back into online miniature and role playing using Fantasy Grounds, which from what I understand has a mapping tool among other tools. It needs to have code created for specific game systems though... but I have considered toying with it in the future and creating a pack for D6 and for Star Wars... but that would not be until I settle numerous issues in my life and deal with upcoming surgeries (many months away at best).
Dr. Bidlo
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have created a number of maps in VISIO that I would be willing to share. However, I do not know if they will convert well to another format considering the scale, as these are set for massive scale...
Ziz
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across this guy on Ebay. He sells various double-sided maps, along with a digital download of everything in his Google Drive (which includes some parts collections and works-in-progress)

https://adventurersatlas.blogspot.com/

Question - his maps are square grids, which is WOTC format. Does that make a difference for WEG hex grid format as far as gameplay? The little bit of mini battles I did back in the day, I just built some actual terrain and structures instead of using flat maps and made little hex grid underlays for figures to determine ranges, firing arcs and such.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are awesome, Ziz. Thanks for sharing this!
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ziz wrote:

Question - his maps are square grids, which is WOTC format. Does that make a difference for WEG hex grid format as far as gameplay?

I am not sure if this refers to a supplement or something I am not thinking of (star warriors?) but I have never used a hex grid for star wars rpg, and square grids work just fine.

Obviously others may find their needs different.

Some folks use paint.net, and just use layers.
Ziz
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Paint.Net to make all my labels and decal artwork for my home business.

Reason I asked about the squares vs hexes is because three of the WEG board games use hex layouts and I remember seeing something in one of the books about firing arcs depending if a figure is facing the flat or corner of a hex.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other WEG games do use hexes, but I think that WEG 2e RPG fire arcs as-is would work better with square grids because the lines dividing the 90° arcs would just be diagonals extending from each corner of the square it is in.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Other WEG games do use hexes, but I think that WEG 2e RPG fire arcs as-is would work better with square grids because the lines dividing the 90° arcs would just be diagonals extending from each corner of the square it is in.

Hexes are better to some degree (much easier to do diagonal movement or cross-grain movement with a hex than a grid), but a lot of the rules would need to be reworked from the ground up.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Ziz
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't run any battles in a long time, so I'm not advocating for one over the other, just debating the strengths/weaknesses of each, when would one be preferable to the other. Squares are easier to draw and measure but certain battle/gameplay tactics work better with hexes.

Most of my miniature battles were on scratchbuilt terrain, so squares/hexes weren't part of the layout.

I remember one game of Star Warriors where a squad of X-wings was being chased through an asteroid field and the squad used the hex layout and flight tactics to slowly circle around and attack a Star Destroyer from behind. The Imperial player didn't see it coming because he was focusing on chasing them with his TIEs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: