The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

hallow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> hallow Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dara_Kaya
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: hallow Reply with quote

Hello everbody, I just got a copy of the 'star wars D6 2nd edition revised and expanded' core rule book, and a great amount of supplements. And I was looking for a good forum with the game. So with the help of google I was able to find this web site.

So I was just wanting to say Hallow to everyone, to make a first appearance.

So... Hallow!
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this will be one more thing you have to thank google for in your life, this is the best SWD6 forum I have ever found. The people, knowledge and resources that make up this community are incredible. Be sure to check the site out, I visit it almost daily. I particularly like the fan-made supplements in the Tools section. Have fun exploring!
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the pit! allways good to have new folks on Wink
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallowed be the Ori to you too. Smile
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallooo to you to! Welcome to the Pit.
Dara_Kaya
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Stargate. Reply with quote

hisham wrote:
Hallowed be the Ori to you too. Smile

Stargate!
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yeah. Big ring thing. Lots of symbols. What's it called again?" --approximate quote from Colonel Jack O'Neil. 8)

Welcome to the Pit! The Rancor is actually quite nice so long as his diet of D20 players is uninterrupted. Laughing
Dara_Kaya
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
"The Rancor is actually quite nice so long as his diet of D20 players is uninterrupted. Laughing "

Whats wrong with the D20 system? I kind of like it at times, just seems harder to get and keep all the dies together when not playing online. I like, like it.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we don't actually feed D20 players to the Rancor (at least I haven't seen it done, but then I'm pretty new here myself). There is a definite leaning toward D6 around here as evidenced by the various rallying cries, e.g. "D6 Forever", "Six-Siders Unite!", "Cube!", and "WEG Rules!".

Ok, I made most of those up.

Say, maybe we should start feeding the Rancor some D20 GMs... Laughing
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't scare him off, Pel. Wink

I don't think we here really have anything against the d20 system, it's just that we feel D6 works better for the Star Wars setting.

I play d20 D&D every once in a while, nothing wrong with that. But when it comes to Star Wars, nothing can separate me from my cube of destiny!
Dara_Kaya
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.k, it just seems like at times like you all are wanting to start a war with WotC or somthing to like that.
I do not see how a system really has a 'feel' to it, there just rules. From what I've seen its the GMs that make and give the feel.
It looks like to me that the only thing different from the two are that D20 gives a little more flexability and stability when D6 is just kind of, well... Simple and basic.
They both have there ups and downs. But theres no reason to act the way most of the people I've seen here have about it.

hummm, looking at this post I think I've like gotten closer to figuring out why people don't like me to much...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm.. strange, I don't think I've ever really read any actual d20-bashing comments around here, I guess it really is in the eye of the beholder...

Sure, we prefer D6, hence this is a D6 website, but I don't think we're so dumb as to disregard or flat out hate d20. I myself own a handful of SW d20 books that see regular action in my D6 games. Plus, the PDF fanbooks I've created owe a lot to Wizards.

About the "feel" thing. Sure, most of it comes from how the GM runs the game, but I do believe the actual system has an influence on it.

First of all, D6 is deadly. In Star Wars, we don't see the characters take a helluva beating and survive. Usually if you're hit, you die, if you're not, you'll make it. For a high-level d20 character to die, he usually has to be carved out. An experienced D6 character who takes a hit is usually just as prone to dying as a lowly thug.

Second, there's the class system. I don't think that fits into Star Wars. Usually my Star Wars characters are quite versatile and unique. I couldn't fit them in a "fighter", "wizard", "thief"-like category. Their skills are all over the place, and each has a unique combination of things in which they're good at. I like the freedom that D6 allows you both in character creation and evolution. I just don't get the same "feeling" from d20.

Third, there's the Wild Die. That thing's a blast. I think about 1/6th of the fun we have in our game is a consequence of the Wild Die. Anything can happen, anytime. And it's usually either very exciting or extremely funny.

There, that's why I prefer D6 over d20 for Star Wars. That's my opinion and please don't read any d20-hate into it. This is just my cup-o-tea. And I'm sure d20 must have some advantages over D6, which is surely not perfect. If it was, there really wouldn't be much point to this forum.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dara_Kaya,

I certainly have no reason to dislike you personally, since I don't know you.
This post isn't meant to be derogatory towards you in any way, I'm just talking about my reasons for preferring D6 over D20.

I hate the D20 system in all sizes, shapes, and forms. I don't like character advancement through leveling, I don't like defined character classes, and I don't like alignments. I've never enjoyed D&D in any version for those reasons. I like point based character creation systems, like D6 and GURPS, and I like the ability to improve my character with points, based on the skills I have used recently. I also like being able to do it more frequently than one can with level advancement systems.

The other aspect of it is nostalgia. The game that got me into role-playing was D6 Star Wars. When the D20 version came out, I checked it out, but it wasn't written nearly as well and it didn't have the same sense of fun that the West End books had. There didn't seem to be the same cinematic feel to it. Add in the fact that the rules set sucked, and you can see why I don't like it.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry,

I do indeed hate and disregard D20. I think I showed in my previous post why my reasons for that that aren't "dumb", necessarily. Part of the reason I say hate instead of dislike has to do with WOTC as a company, but I won't go into that as it's way off topic.
Dara_Kaya
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.k, what you two said does make since. D20 characters do have alot of Wound points, and leveling up would take alot of time.

I just never thought of it that way. I guess thats why God let us communicate the way we can.

Points proven.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: