The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

I no speaka da Basic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> I no speaka da Basic Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this be an issue a comedic moment and an advantage. This the a wookie who understands basic but other people are constantly trying to make language rolls can be really funny. Very much so, they roll low or roll a one on the wild die. With the issue I've seen a group get surrounded by a bunch of pissed off gamorians and almost die cause they could not relate in sound way to desesclated the situation. With my first RPG in star wars back in 1994 we had a group that was almost all aliens and some who could not speak basic (or chose not too). They would communicate in ways that the npcs had to make roles to understand. It really turned the tides on a hunt go bad when there was a jedi envolved, and he failed his language role.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari's idea started the wheels turning.

How about a Wookiee translator droid? I'm envisioning something small to medium-sized that could follow its owner around, translating as necessary.

Based on the wildly successful and infamous Interrogation Droid chasis, the Wookiee Translation Droid (WTD, or "Witty") provides real-time translation in any environment. Thanks to a heavy-duty repulsor system, this hardy droid can accompany its owner into any situation. As an added bonus, the droid's outer shell is constructed of a special shock-absorbing material to reduce the need for costly repairs after exposure to hazardous circumstances.

Wookiee Translator Droid
Size: 0.7m sphere
Speed: 12

Dex: 2D
Dodge: 3D

Knowledge: 3D
Alien Species: 4D
Cultures: 3D+1
Languages: 4D
Languages - Wookiee: 4D+2

Mechanical: 1D
Repulsorlift Operation: 2D

Perception: 1D
Strength: 1D
Technical: 1D
WTD Droid Repair: 2D+1

Notes: The WTD is equipped with a broad-spectrum vocoder allowing a wide range of speech and mimic capabilities.

The WTD's outer shell is comprised of a bouncy, shock-absorbing material that adds 3D to strength to resist physical damage only. While intended to make the droid more rugged, it primarily serves to minimize damage inflicted by angry clients after inaccurate translations.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know if you were aware of this or not, but this item here already exists:

http://www.wizards.com/starwars/images/wookiee_a.jpg

M-TD Translator Droid
Type: M-TD Series Translator Droid
DEXTERITY 2D
KNOWLEDGE 3D
Languages 5D, planetary systems 5D
MECHANICAL 1D
PERCEPTION 1D
STRENGTH 1D
TECHNICAL 1D
Computer programming/repair 2D+1
Equipped With:
-Repulsorlift unit (allows limited flight)
-Vocabulator (the droid can replicate human speech)
Move: 10
Size: Tiny
Cost: 2,350 credits
Source: d20 Core Rulebook (page 372)
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool droid, and cool wookie mop-top pic - a very british wookie

Any body seen, or imagined, an implant for translation. I can imagine how one could work for understanding foreign languages but not for speaking them - if ones vocal cords just aren't capable, that is. I guess there could be a cybernetic vocal cord replacement but I don't imagine anyone really wanting to do that...
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my game, I had "The VOX". A simple gadget that could translate at least one language into another language. Cheap gadget by Star Wars standards. A lot more cost effective than a protocol Droid for those every day situations.

It was first introduced not in it's pure form, but in a gimmicky form that a Gammorean picked up. The gammorean was part of a train robbery, and thought it'd be cool to not just shout through the VOX, but get the novelty voice "Vader VOX" and collect money from car to car, making demands while sounding like Vader.

He only got out one line, than the PCs took him down while he was distracted collecting money.
to finance my 'vette!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camero wrote:
Cool droid, and cool wookie mop-top pic - a very british wookie

Any body seen, or imagined, an implant for translation. I can imagine how one could work for understanding foreign languages but not for speaking them - if ones vocal cords just aren't capable, that is. I guess there could be a cybernetic vocal cord replacement but I don't imagine anyone really wanting to do that...

Well, I haven't seen one for tranlation, but I've read about comlink implants; at least part (if not all) of the device is a cochlear implant. This device was used by the security chief for Kuat Drive Yards, so he could be constantly updated on the state of affairs without having to lug around a comlink. Left his hands free to do whatever else he needed to do. I'd imagine that one could be modified to serve as a translation device-or even as both a translator AND a comlink. All it'd take is a good enough technician, surgeon, and the credits to make it happen.

Of course, if you didn't want to go under the laser scalpel, I don't see why you couldn't modify a headset comlink to include translation software. Sure, it might be just a bit more bulky than a simple earbud and mic, but the extra components could be installed inside the piece that would wrap around your ear.
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always those things the Vong use in the NJO series if your playing that era

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one game I was playing after getting mad at the protocal droid, they hardwired the head to the dash and comm systems. Then when people hailed us even in a different language it was translated. Also went the other way so if they had a speak recognition system it didn't work.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's ONE way to keep him from trailing after you in a bothersome fashion...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: