The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Power Compilation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Force Power Compilation Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite honestly, I'm sure that with your skill and the speed with which you crank these out sometimes, you'd be able to do one of each in relatively short order- especially if someone was helping you out. Because it'd be fabulous to have a full-blown, no-holds-barred version that looked great, but it'd be just as great to have a version that either printed well, or didn't take up scads of memory for those GMs who use a computer in their gaming sessions. A powered-down version would be better for that environment, so their computer wasn't grinding away for awhile just so they could look up the specifics on Accelerate Another's Healing...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference in processing power needed to view the file with or without pictures is too small to be taken into account. Really the only reason to do a "light" version would be for a cheaper print for those that just want a powers list, not a cool book.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been redoubling my efforts with the editing. Right now the major issue is formatting. The origingal Doc version has some wonderful irreperable automatic formatting problems that seem to have been added in by Microsoft Word. So, I've had to do a couple of computer acrobatics to get it in a format I can work with.

Right now I'm comparing the descriptions of the powers in the document to that in the ToTJ and R&E books. The descriptions don't always match up. The document occasionally leaves off a prerequisite power and some necessary rules. One Force power was missing entirely. So, I'm in the cleanup stage. I'm adding in the necessary components, making sure that everything is written in the same style (skills and powers are italisized, difficulty levles are capitalized and that sort of thing), and trying also putting in proper paragraph breaks and things of that sort. I'm a bit over half done with this.

When I'm done with that, I'll type of the Sith Powers. I've got most of the converted powers typed up, thought I'm still working on a couple of them from the Hero's Guide. The next stage will be combining all of the home-brew powers I've seen and organizing them properly.

After that, I'll let Gry do his magic.
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a power called shroud (not cloak) of the sith or something like that? It was in effect on the Invisible Hand, when Obi, Ani and Pally are caught under the energy field and during each and every meeting between the council and the future Emperor.

>-q=p---
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOTICE:Those who don't want to read my pointless venting, please skip this post and go on with your buisness.

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRG! Okay. WEG had some serious editing problems. I'm looking at the R&E and the TOTJC and they don't always agree on their powers. One will say "Modified by proxemity," and the other "Modified by proxemity and relationship." Okay, WHICH IS IT!?!?! *Sigh* I'm usually going with whichever is more specific or is modified by both.

Also, when they're going through their required powers. Sometimes they'll list just the prerequisite powers, and others the prerequisites of the prerequisites. Fine, you can list them all, but PLEASE BE CONSISTENT!!!! For example, suppose you want to get a power that requires Danger Sense. Sometimes they'll just lise Danger Sense as a necessary power, other times they'll list both Danger Sense and Life Sense.

I'll probably just wind up doing another edit after I'm done with the first time through, and check to make sure it's consistent in my document.

BTW, which would you guys prefer? List all of the prerequisites, or just assume that you know that if Danger Sense is a prerequisite, you'll have to get Life Sense too? Or does it really matter to you all that much?

Thanks for letting me vent (not anyone but a mod can do anything about it now, anyway).

End pointless rant.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe list the questionable ones as optional? Put an asterisk next to that and include a single line explanation that the actual sources have conflicting requirements maybe?
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the optional list. Maybe even require one or the other if they powers are closely related.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the conflicting power is one that is a prerequisite for a prerequisite anyway, then include it. There's no reason to leave it out (other than saving space). If a power has Danger Sense as a prerequisite, then it also has Life Sense as a prerequisite whether you type it or not. I'd rather have a clearer list of the powers I must have....

On a related note, I remember someone here did a nice prerequisites tree chart. I think we could try to adapt it to use in the book, as it is a really cool tool to help people visualize their character's path of advancement.
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, here it is :

http://krapz.free.fr/Force_Power_Tree_by_Rerun941.pdf
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto. Thanks for the input. When it comes to conflicing rules, I'm making a note of it. For example, the R&E says "The Jedi must be touching the character," and TOTJ says "Modified by proximity," I make a note of the difference.

I think that the prerequisite chart would be great as an apendix. I can't think of a better place for it. Can anyone else?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it should surely be at the end of the book, after all the powers have been listed.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I agree w/ Gry as far as having ALL the prerequisites for a power listed - it's easier than looking up one, realizing that it has a prerequisite, and going there as well, etc, ad nauseum.

The force power tree is nice... except it just has Jedi powers, not Sith. Of that, I'm split. I'd almost say to put in 3 charts - One Jedi, one Sith, one with both. I'd volunteer if I had: a) access to all the force skills (official and homebrew); and b) better knowledge of computer entry. Embarassed

Also, how hard is it to get some kind of reference into the descriptions?

Ehh... anyway... just my 2 centi-creds worth...
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the R&E says "The Jedi must be touching the character," and TOTJ says "Modified by proximity,"
Since TotJ was printed after the R&E Rulebook, I think we could assume TotJ includes errata from the R&E Rulebook Question
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Ready for home brews! Reply with quote

Okay, I've spent about eight hours on the project today and I think I've finished the primary editing on the TOTJ powers (Jedi and Sith) as well as the powers that have been converted from d20. Still left on this section is double checking the prerequisites.

What I'd like for you guys and gals to do is take a look at some of the home brew powers that have been out there, and a few that you may have made yourself.

I'm looking at the Jedi Handbook right now, and I've got to be honest, a lot of these are not going to make it. If there are any that you particularly like or particularly don't like, please let me know. I'd like to get a sense of popular opinion before I make my final decision.

If there's anything else from the TPM sourcebook as well, please make sure you let me know. I'm thinking about scrapping most of those.

There are a few I think the movies mandate, though I haven't seen an equivalent. For example, I think we've seen a Force Leap, or Force Jump somewhere, and that would be a good one to put in here.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you already scoured sites like "The Rebellion" and "SWRPGNetwork" for all their d20 conversions?

I did some work on a "Force Jump" power, which I think worked quite well. It only needs to be written out properly.

Here's the thread:

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=815&start=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: