The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Ladies of Luke Skywalker?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> The Ladies of Luke Skywalker? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PC-032
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: The Ladies of Luke Skywalker? Reply with quote

OK I have referances to Luke Taking up with Mara Jade, but in "Dark Saber" (by Kevin J. Anderson) he is Ronanticaly attached to Callista.

Now I have only a few of the Novels and it has bean years since I've read others. are the two relationships part of diffrant contunitys or dose somthing hapen to one of Lukes Ladies? opening the way for the other and if so when?
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post just reminded me of the almost only thing i really hated from the EU.

Mara Jade.

I think i can stick almost completely to the commentary given by spacemara site:

http://www.spacemara.freeservers.com/manifesto/index.html

Wink

Ras
PC-032
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basicaly Mara was Zhans big plan for Star Wars that got screwed by other Authors, and Callista was a replasment Love Intrest (with a seamily dumb back story), in the end Zhan got to (at least in part) fix the Character.
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in my view Mara has been a lost occasion for Zahn. He didn't depicted her in a believable manner, and the same applies to the Luke/Mara relationship.

The fact is tha Mara IS Luke's wife in the EU, and this is one of the cons in accepting it as canon (i tend to consider Lucas films the only real canon, even if i view the EU stuff as usable for lack of personal resources to rewrite so many millennia of SW universe history).
BTW: i find most TOTJ and pre Film era stuff from the EU as high quality material, my distastes go mostly to the after Endor material.

Besides this, i know very little about the whole Callista/Luke affair... Smile

Ras
PC-032
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is he wasn't kept on to develop the character, the Thrawn Trilogy introduced and established the Character, working her through a solid arc.

Later authors Missused her, they included her bacause she was popluar but did nothing to develop the character, infact they left her to stagnate and misrepsented her to advance their own characters or story arcs and she is not the only one it hapend to.
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
my distastes go mostly to the after Endor material.

When you visit the Mocking Mynock Cantina on Saána and ask for Yuuzhan Vong, all you get is a drink, that does speeder scale damage to your sobriety.

I just re-read "Dark Force Rising" and I really like the way Zahn presented Han and Lando. He did a great job on that and he also did a great job with Senator Bel Iblis and that Bothan bog brush, but I had a hard time with all that Noghri-stuff and the names he gave to some characters. I also never saw Grand Admirals with tinsel on their shoulders and white uniforms to fit into the Imperial Navy. I'm pretty indifferent about the Luke/Mara thing, which I guess isn't good considering the importance of the Skywalkers in the GFFA.

>-q=p---
PC-032
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Idear of Imperial Warlords (Grand Admirals and Marshals) in White Uniforms but the Napoleonic Epaulets is going to far.

Thrawn Trilogy realy was a Primer to the "New Replublic Novles", and it worked, unfortnaly later books set eeriler and after it kind of mucked stuff up.
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasputiza wrote:
Well, in my view Mara has been a lost occasion for Zahn. He didn't depicted her in a believable manner, and the same applies to the Luke/Mara relationship.

The fact is tha Mara IS Luke's wife in the EU, and this is one of the cons in accepting it as canon (i tend to consider Lucas films the only real canon, even if i view the EU stuff as usable for lack of personal resources to rewrite so many millennia of SW universe history).
BTW: i find most TOTJ and pre Film era stuff from the EU as high quality material, my distastes go mostly to the after Endor material.

Besides this, i know very little about the whole Callista/Luke affair... Smile

Ras

I completely agree. Much of the EU material is pretty bad in my opinion. I like the Timothy Zahn stuff for the most part, and I enjoyed the Jedi Academy series well enough. I am also really fond of the Dark Empire Comics too.

Outside of the material there I don't generally enjoy that much of the EU. I feel like much of the material has lost the feel of Star Wars. (Mainly the Yuzhann Vong stuff is to blame there.)

Much of it has more of a Fantasy Sci-Fi feel than a Star Wars feel.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke's had quite a few romantic involvements over the years. All in the same continuity. Before Mara, you have him romantically involved with Gariel Captison in Truce at Bakura, which is set immediately following RoTJ. Both characters essentially agreed to break it off at the end of the novel. Luke and Mara were never romantically involved in the Thrawn Trilogy, and Zahn left them as more ofbeing on the road to being friends than anything at the end of The Last Command. It wasn't until the Hando of Thrawn Dulogy that they actually became romantically involved, and that was after Luke and Callista. Which itself was after Luke and Jem. Callista left Luke because she didn't want to be reminded of what she had lost, her ability to use the Force, and wanted to find a way to get it back. A way that would have meant her returning to him. Whereas with Jem she and Luke never broke up, she was killed.

Check out this OS databank update from Feb 13, 2004. Four of them were some of the ladies Luke has been romantically involved with before marrying Mara Jade, two ladies han was romantically involved with before Leia, and two for Leia.

Wanted Poster
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted that Mara Jade is basically a rip-off of Shira Brie/Dark Lady Lumiya from the pre-Heir to the Empire comics. As such, she's beneath my personal contempt.

Personally, I never liked Zahn's books. Brian Daley's original Han Solo trilogy are the pinnacle of the EU in my opinion.
darkclown789
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mara all the way!

What's EU stand for?

Darkclown

Wolves do not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expanded Universe... basically all material outside of the movies themselves.
Reaper63
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having talked to some of the EU authes personally,. I can tell you that Mara was always intended to be the one Luke Married. This was approved by LFL when Zahn first started writing the Thrawn Trilogy. And the idea was for it to seem like it would never work, and for MAra to just walk away at the end of the trilogy, Calista had always been planned as a filler girlfriend. adding more loss to Luke's life, getting him in a position to finally accept Mara as his true love.

I myself, like the character of Mara Jade, but feel that several authers have misused her. and the compliation of characterizations makes for a real mess.

Although I too pick and choose which parts of the EU I like to include in my personal SW timeline, LFL intended for everything, novels, comics, Videogames, the works, to be included in the official Time line. Granted there are some major problems in this, but it was the intention.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually never worried too much about Luke's love life. Every time they threw Luke into the books I viewed it as a distraction from what Han and Chewie were doing 8) .
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reaper63 wrote:
I myself, like the character of Mara Jade, but feel that several authers have misused her. and the compliation of characterizations makes for a real mess.

I also like what I believe to be the intent of Mara Jade's character. She's someone you can definitely depend on in a pinch, and she's got enough background fodder to make for a really deep character. You just need to get good authors to handle the subject matter appropriately... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: