The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

what do you do with bad rolls
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> what do you do with bad rolls Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cool McCool
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo - I don't like fudging dice rolls.

If you're worried about them dying, or failing at bad rolls, let them spend Character Points and/or Force Points after the dice have hit the table. "Ooh, I'm going to die, I'd better start spending Character Points."

I think it might be a good idea to have two kinds of CPs: one for raising stats, and one for adding to rolls. The ones you add to rolls get reset at the end of every game (or whenever), so you can just burn through them like crazy and you won't have to worry about using them for advancing skills.

I'd probably go with 5 "CPs" for each game. If they don't spend these by the end of the game session, they are gone for good.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I most certainly wouldn't do that. One of the things I like best about the D6 system is that Character Points can be used either to evolve your character or to save your butt in a tough situation. But it's one or the other, so if you want to save your butt, you're sacrificing your evolution, or the other way around. If you knew you'd get your CPs at the end of the adventure, then you would indeed burn through them like crazy and you wouldn't be as judicious about using them.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it depends. This last Sunday I ran a game and right off the bat, I should have had two out of my four players dead in the first combat. We were rolling on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Since the first player whos character should have died is now actually developing his character and really starting to take shape as both a player and character, I didn't want to kill him and ruin that.

Right after pulling my punches the NEXT player who just started that game should have died right away. First round of combat he failed to evade an incoming DL-44 blast. I went ahead and performed some divine intervention because I didn't want to kill him 20 minutes into his first game.

It really depends on the situation. If it is the players being stupid, than I won't pull any punches. Not even early on if the actions are bad enough. If they are just having a really bad night and I am really on top of my game in reference to die rolls then I'll usually cut them some slack.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, that prety much the same thing that happend to my group, glad to see im not the only one giving devine intervention.

now one of my characters were captured, but offered a place in the pirates ranks.. if he betrays his comrades giving the pirates their next cargo, and sabotaging the ship. Twisted Evil

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't enjoy killing characters for the most part. Especially not if I have built a story around them, or created a plot that can hinge on that particular character.

If anyone of my players were to have their characters killed, the plot goes on, but if a couple of the originals die, then the overall story arc could still work, but the sub-plots that were based around characters specific actions would be lost.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firehawk0220 wrote:
I don't enjoy killing characters for the most part. Especially not if I have built a story around them, or created a plot that can hinge on that particular character.

If anyone of my players were to have their characters killed, the plot goes on, but if a couple of the originals die, then the overall story arc could still work, but the sub-plots that were based around characters specific actions would be lost.

Thats why i don't make anyone that special....
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But sometimes it's great to have a character-centered campaign. If the goal of the campaign is tied to a character's fate then the group will commit to it much more easily and powerfully than if the goal is just something thrust upon them by the high Alliance command, and they don't relate to it in any personal level.

One time I noticed my group wasn't comitting itself fully to the campaign, which was following the usual "mission" formula. So what I did was have one of the bad guys incriminate one of the PCs in a treason plot, and soon he and the rest of the group were running from the law and trying to uncover the bad guy's plan and how to clean that PC's name. It became a much more personal adventure and everyone comitted to it 100%. The problem is that if that incriminated PC happened to die, most of the campaign's drive would vanish, so I had to be a bit careful about him.
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
But sometimes it's great to have a character-centered campaign. If the goal of the campaign is tied to a character's fate then the group will commit to it much more easily and powerfully than if the goal is just something thrust upon them by the high Alliance command, and they don't relate to it in any personal level.

One time I noticed my group wasn't comitting itself fully to the campaign, which was following the usual "mission" formula. So what I did was have one of the bad guys incriminate one of the PCs in a treason plot, and soon he and the rest of the group were running from the law and trying to uncover the bad guy's plan and how to clean that PC's name. It became a much more personal adventure and everyone comitted to it 100%. The problem is that if that incriminated PC happened to die, most of the campaign's drive would vanish, so I had to be a bit careful about him.

True. There has to be some kind of balance.

I don't have the game centered around anyone specifically right now. But if the characters die, then of course new characters can resume the game. However the subplots would all basically vanish.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you have to be adaptable. As it turns out the player of that incriminated PC went away to live in Europe, so I had a major problem in my hands. But the PC ended up being arrested so I was able to keep the rest of the group on the same track of trying to clean the name of their imprisioned friend. It worked out wonderfully.

So if the character on whom you based your campaign dies or is otherwise removed from the scene, there are still ways of shifting the weight towards the other characters in the campaign.
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Yes, you have to be adaptable. As it turns out the player of that incriminated PC went away to live in Europe, so I had a major problem in my hands. But the PC ended up being arrested so I was able to keep the rest of the group on the same track of trying to clean the name of their imprisioned friend. It worked out wonderfully.

So if the character on whom you based your campaign dies or is otherwise removed from the scene, there are still ways of shifting the weight towards the other characters in the campaign.

Yes. I can see how that would work well. Another angle is you take that guy who was thrown in prison, leave him to rot awhile, then he comes out bitter and seeks revenge on the player characters.

I am twisted like that, but if the players failed to clear his name or they abbandoned that quest, you can go that direction. I am a big fan of making people face the consequences of what they do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: