The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Super stun weapon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Super stun weapon Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OracleYori
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Super stun weapon Reply with quote

what weapon is the best for this sort of thing?

My character (so far) is not a very violent person and doesn't want to inflict harm on any creature unless necessary. What types of things stun in large doses?

Can shock boxing gloves be made more potent?
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Riot Gun mentioned in the Star Wars Sourcebook good for 8D Stun Damage. How technologically adept is your character? You could potentially build some interesting stun devices from scratch.

And technically, yes... Shockboxer gloves can be made FAR more potent... Up to +1D+2 through standard Modification rules and another +3D with Jury Rigging for a total bonus of +4D+2.
OracleYori
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not too tech savy, but he's got ideas. I'm sure that there will be another PC that can do some techy stuff.

Thanks for the reply.
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A device I think just screams for tinkering is the Ubrikkian RTechApp Man Trap which creates a localized gravity field with a strength of 5D to 15D. It takes the form of a small, flat, one-meter square piece of metal connected to a small repulsor generator by a 10 meter cord.

Now my idea is this... Reverse the polarity on the device so that instead of drawing items to it, it repulses them with a strength of up to 15D. Rig the repulsor generator as a backpack, shorten the power cord to something manageable, and wear the gravity plate as a shield. It would use Melee Parry and a successful defense would give up to 15D of protection against pretty much anything affected by gravity. Blasters, lightsabres, vibroaxes, fists... All of it would be deflected unless it could overcome the deflection strength of the shield.

Additionally, rig the device so the polarity can be reversed at the switch of a button and you have an instant man-portable tractor beam or short-range energy grapple. You'd need to work out a range with your GM, but considering the raw strength of the thing, I would imagine it has a fairly generous range. Gundark's Fantastic Technology mentions some Rebels who used them to defend a perimeter against Imperial grenades. When the thrown grenades sailed over the gravity field they were caught and slammed down. Of course, they promptly destroyed the gravity plates, but it gave the Rebels time to rally a defense.

Honestly, that device alone has dozens of different potential applications for the creative Verpine to figure out. Wink
OracleYori
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good idea. I am not sure how easy reversing polarity on a repulsar would be though, although since hovervehicles are fairly readily available, it's a possibility.

I was also thinking of an arm mounted (think Spidey's web slinger rig) ion gun for disabling of lightsabers, blasters and other circuitry.
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea, but I'd check with your GM to make sure ion bolts aren't susceptible to deflection by lightsabres.

There's a number of sonic weapons that are good at stunning opponents into submission. Of course, any standard blaster can just be set to stun, which is what I usually have mine set to.
OracleYori
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm in an odd situation. The idea is that I'm part of a Neo Imperial squad, and in it's gifted program as well (Force user training). I've got to do some stealth missions I'm sure, as well as pass through a quick visual scan, so hidden/concealed weapons are where I was going.

Good ideas though. A blaster is always useful.

Are ion pulse grenades available? Like a short range EMP?
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a number of good 'stealth' weapons, but few do a whole lot of damage. PM me with some details about your character and I can share some ideas.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayle Skolaris wrote:
Additionally, rig the device so the polarity can be reversed at the switch of a button and you have an instant man-portable tractor beam or short-range energy grapple. You'd need to work out a range with your GM, but considering the raw strength of the thing, I would imagine it has a fairly generous range. Gundark's Fantastic Technology mentions some Rebels who used them to defend a perimeter against Imperial grenades. When the thrown grenades sailed over the gravity field they were caught and slammed down. Of course, they promptly destroyed the gravity plates, but it gave the Rebels time to rally a defense.

My biggest issue with this idea would be that you'd almost have to have the individual wearing such a rig secured in place to some structure that could withstand the 15D of gravitational pull. If not, then instead of a repulsor/tractor device, you're going to have a man wearing a bulky backpack/plate attachment who's being thrown forwards and backwards because there's no friggin' way he'll be able to just stand there and not be affected by the gravitational pull.

Beyond that little quirk, I like the idea. Heck, convert the device into a repulsorlift version of a personal rocket pack- with a whole lot less noise to boot...
OracleYori
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, depending on how small a rig could be come up with, this would be a great use as a grappling hook for ascention purposes, or to try to grab weapons for non-forcers (I just keep thinking of the Blue uber-pilot from 08 'th MS Team Gundam)
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyler, I suppose it greatly depends on how finely tuned and shaped one can make the repulsor field. For instance, an airspeeder can hover anywhere from just above the ground to several hundred meters up. In my opinion, however, in all cases if you were try to physically push that speeder to the ground by exerting force from above, it would take the same amount of force at 2 meters as it would at 200 meters.

Granted, that's just my opinion, and since it's such an esoteric question I doubt we'll ever get an official ruling on the subject. But I believe it should be possible to 'shape' the repulsor field so that it only extends half a meter or so from the gravity plate.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The matter there is not really the range and shape of the repulsor field, it's really just the most basic physics: For every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. If you push something, it pushes you back. If you were to wear such a contraption as a backpack that would push objects around you with a 15D strength, you would have to resist this same 15D strength not to be hurled in the opposite direction. When such a thing is installed on the ground, we can assume it's sufficiently bolted down in order to sustain such forces, and usually grounds are very tough things. But if you're carrying it around, then the effect would be pretty much the same as holding an active jet engine....

However, I'm sure there are still many clever and plausible uses for this device.

On a related note, if you're looking for weapons, don't forget to check out my Weapons Stats book for all your weapons needs.
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physics... Oh, you mean like sound in space and starfighters that maneuver like jets!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh please, don't give me the old "sound in space" speech. They are movies, we all know that. But it's all about being realistic within its fantastic boundaries.... You can't simply disregard physics, just bend it to your will. To counter the problem I presented, all you really need is to come up with a reverse-gyro-stabilizer-energy-pack-system and you're all set.
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh yeah... I can disregard physics... Star Wars is full of things that ignore physics, so I see no particularly pressing reason to refrain from breaching any more of those physical laws if it will accomodate a cool idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: