The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Questions about grenade usage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Questions about grenade usage Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Questions about grenade usage Reply with quote

I have a few questions about grenade usage. First off, I was wondering if people use hit location for grenades or not. Secondly, what type of damage would regular frag or concussion grenades do, physical or energy for resistance purposes.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use hit location for grenades, as I usually se it as a rain of shrapnel all over your body and a concussive blast. Frag and Concussion grenades deal physical damage. thermal Detonators deal energy damage.
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you apply armor to grenade damage, and are those rulings on damage type from grenades your own decision or are they in the book somewhere?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it's explicitly spelled out in some book, but it's just good common sense. Weapons do either energy or physical damage, and most types of armor give a different bonus for each case. Physical damage is actual physical things punching and puncturing you, while energy damage is things like blasters, electricity, and such. Fragmentation grenades are like our earth grenades: bombs that detonate sending out fragments of metal in all directions, impacting, piercing and slashing against it's targets physically. Concussion grenades create a concussive blast, something like a solid wall of air, which physically knocks out things in its path. Thermal detonators produce a thermal blast, basically a big inferno, which is energy damage.

Now, explaining how to use armor. Say your character has 3D Strength and is wearing a Blast Vest (+1D physical/+1 energy). If he receives damage from a frag grenade, he rolls 4D to resist it, while if he receives damage from a thermal detonator, he only rolls 3D+1 to resist it.
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you just give the armor bonus to the player for his armor even if it is just in a certain location.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, well, yeah, there's location as well, but you shouldn't worry about that most of the time. In order to speed up gameplay, most damage is usually considered to be located around the torso area. So whether the character is wearing just a vest or full armor, damage absorption usually works the same. If he's just wearing a helmet, or just a shin guard, then he would usually get no bonus for general attacks. Now, if you stipulate that a given attack hits a specific part of the body, then you need only consider what type of armor that particlar spot has and apply the appropriate bonus.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurvel wrote:
How do you apply armor to grenade damage, and are those rulings on damage type from grenades your own decision or are they in the book somewhere?

Depends on what you are looking for.

If someone is wearing full armor, then that would add into their str for soaking. If just a vest, then they get no benefit...

Quote:
Oh, well, yeah, there's location as well, but you shouldn't worry about that most of the time. In order to speed up gameplay, most damage is usually considered to be located around the torso area. So whether the character is wearing just a vest or full armor, damage absorption usually works the same. If he's just wearing a helmet, or just a shin guard, then he would usually get no bonus for general attacks. Now, if you stipulate that a given attack hits a specific part of the body, then you need only consider what type of armor that particlar spot has and apply the appropriate bonus.

For ranged weapons like guns, blasters, i would agree. But grenades have a 'sphere' effect, so i feel they SHOULD be looking at the armor worn. If not covering the body/limbs, then they should not be counted...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot we were talking grenade damage when I was answering that one. Well, yeah, even though me and my group usually don't bother with it, I suppose when you're hit by area-effect weapons you should roll using only whatever bonus you may have in the least protected area of your body.... Or maybe that should only count for head and torso, since limbs are generally non-lethal... So if you're wearing just a vest, you get no bonus, if you have a vest and helmet, you get whichever bonus is lower, etc...

I don't know, this just makes it a tad complicated. A truly realistic method would require several rolls, for each body part, which I don't think would be a good idea...
Savaad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really would like to keep it simple also. I usually don't give armor for grenades unless they have armor in all places. But I guess if someone had a helmet and vest, that may be good enough.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I mean, look at Boba Fett. he seems to have almost no protection to his limbs... Would you give him no armor bonus when resisting a grenade?
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not. He's Boba Fett, not "invicible man." Grenades are still going to mess up his day. You might just not get close enough to him to throw that grenade though.

E
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I believe his full name is indeed "Boba Invincible Man-Fett". He escaped the frigging sarlacc, for crying out loud.

But seriously, if a grenade went off near Boba, you would really not add any of those incredible +4D armor bonus to his resistance roll?
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing him in Jedi Academy it seems that he's just about invincible. Evil or Very Mad

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Yeah, I mean, look at Boba Fett. he seems to have almost no protection to his limbs... Would you give him no armor bonus when resisting a grenade?

Nope. I treat grenades like a flame out from a door. If you only had your torso/head covered your limbs would still take damage.. Same with a grenade.
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why yes, Boba Invicible Man-Fett did escape the Sarlacc, but being slowly digested over thousands of years is a lot different than catching a Frag Grenade in the lap. Sure in Jabba's palace he was pretty cool when Leia pulled out the Thermal Detonator, at least he was on the surface. Who can tell what the most famous masked man in Star Wars was feeling under his helmet?

As for the +4D armor protection, I don't know. Looking at pictures of his armor, his legs and arms look like they are covered in fatigues, but maybe it's just my skepticism because they don't build them like they used too, you know, a long time ago in a galaxy far far away? I'd probably give him partial protection or ignore his armor all together and make what ever happens, happen. Depends on whether I want to kill off the most famous (debatable) character in the Star Wars universe.

E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: