The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

anti bot idea...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> anti bot idea...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: anti bot idea... Reply with quote

orignslly posted in the pbp section and was said the admins might like the idea, so i thought id post here so everyone can comment, and or the admins read it Razz

vong wrote:
Jedi Skyler wrote:
vong wrote:
you should set up a usergroup for the pbp's so that only members of teh use group can post there. its quite easy to set up, and i can help if needed. but it will prevent spam bots.

A quick question, not meant to be facetious: If it's so easy to do that, then why not set up the entire Pit as a user group, and have Loc and Scrawprin set us all up as registered users for the group overall. Then new subscribers would have to go directly through one of those two people in order to join the pit.

THAT ought to put a crimp in the spambots' day! Sure, it'd cause a lot more work for our Admin team, which I'm not trying to do. But if this suggestion really would cut out the spambots completely, at least until they are endowed with better AI, then it might be deemed worth the work.

The reason i suggested that only for the PBP is so that the admins dont have to allow each new user to post in the forum, if you do it for the PBP only, then the mod for that group (the GM) can add all his players, and it wont add much work at all for hte admins, but yea, ,for the wholle place is ideal. and have them post "im not a bot" in a certain forum and then add them. to the allow to post list.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we ought to post any final resulting proggies in the Tools section for everyone to use..

Wait-scratch that. Send it to all us active, live bodies over PM. That way, the spammers won't have a chance to see it, dissect it, and counter it.

Not too quickly, anyway.

I think I need to become a real life slicer. Then I can devote my time and resources to fighting spammers... Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: