The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Targeting areas on Capital ships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Targeting areas on Capital ships Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Targeting areas on Capital ships Reply with quote

I swear I remember reading in a WEG book the rules for targeting specific locations on capital ships and the damage effects. I have the Pirates & Privateers supplement and they have some rules in there but the ones I remember were more detailed. Does anyone recall another book that features this?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While i do remember some stuff on calling shots to say, the weapons emplacements, i don't remember the rulings.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also seem to remember there being some decent rules for that somewhere. I'll try to look it up when I get home.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates and Privateers. Great book.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xynar wrote:
Pirates and Privateers. Great book.

Not just a great book, a must-have one!

All those wonderful rules in one place, and EVERY freighter!

Far Orbit Project is another good one, as it's more than just a Campaign Book.
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not every freighter. Not nearly every freighter. But definitely enough to give you a fine selection to choose from.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far Orbit, pg 30
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, this book must be one of the greatest sources of little-known treasures! It's got a bunch of these little "house-rules" sprinkled about and that magnificent deckplan of the Nebulon B to boot!

These hit-location rules are off to a good start, but I think damage could be handled better. The objective with these rules in the book is really to hit a ship with little fear of actually destroying it, so it's actually a counter-productive rule, only useful if your goal is really to capture the ship as intact as possible. However if what you want is simply a different strategical approach to knocking out a ship, the the benefits are not worth the added difficulty.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Boy, this book must be one of the greatest sources of little-known treasures! It's got a bunch of these little "house-rules" sprinkled about and that magnificent deckplan of the Nebulon B to boot!

These hit-location rules are off to a good start, but I think damage could be handled better. The objective with these rules in the book is really to hit a ship with little fear of actually destroying it, so it's actually a counter-productive rule, only useful if your goal is really to capture the ship as intact as possible. However if what you want is simply a different strategical approach to knocking out a ship, the the benefits are not worth the added difficulty.
Yeah, that's why I was looking for those other rules I swore I saw. Years ago I was playing under a GM who had mostly 1st ed and early 2nd ed books. I don't own many 1st ed so I wonder if it was in there. They were good rules though. I found that a torpedo run against a Star Destroyers bridge wasn't as nearly effective as it had been playing the X-wing PC game. I flew all over that Star Destroyer trying out different hit locations before I flew straight into a barrage of green turbolaser fire, reducing me and my ship to our component molecules.
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well the X-Wing game fudges things a LOT for playability. A 12.5 meter fighter should NOT be capable of disabling a 1600 meter destroyer.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True dat..

Hows about something like this..

Weaponry positions on cap ships have 2d less hull rating, and if the ship is within 50M is under their shields. So to target a weapons positoin specifically you would use the character base of -2d/-4d/-8d for targeting ( i would default to -4d here, -2d for batteries). If it hits, then you roll against the weapon itself rather than the full hull of the cap ship//

Now how to make rolls to see if a ship gets under neath the shields..
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayle Skolaris wrote:
Yes, well the X-Wing game fudges things a LOT for playability. A 12.5 meter fighter should NOT be capable of disabling a 1600 meter destroyer.
Yet, it seemed possible and believable when I was 14.Rolling Eyes Thank goodness the RPG blasted me into reality.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now it is possible to take out a capital with a snubfighter. As per the movies, when the a-wing took out the bridge, the executor was sucked into the gravity of the death star. Now a series of malfunctions made that possible. First, the engines were on at the moment, so they continued to help push it in that direction slowly. Second, the secondary bridges command pathways failed so they could not take over the ship. Third, they did not call engineering to have them manually put the engines on reverse. so yea, it is possible by some convienient fluke and good luck it can happen

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Maur
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC the shields that are projected out from the ship are supposed to be the ray shields and as such only stop energy attacks. You can still fly through them physically (see Ep IV as they approach the Death Star). The particle shielding is just part of the hull to help deal with micrometeorites as well as incoming projectiles (e.g. an a-wing on a collision course).
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never much cared for this definition that the particle shield is sort of part of the hull. You have the hull and then you have two types of shield: energy and particle.

The rulebook states that particle shields are engaged at all times, unless the ship is launching fighters or missiles, in which case the ship's Hull should be reduced by -2D. On top of that you can engage your energy shield, which will add to your Hull in deflecting energy attacks. For me that is very much wrong. IF the particle shield is just part of the Hull score, then why should it count when defending against energy attacks? I think it's much simpler and correct to say that your Shield rating is both your particle and energy shields (like a piece of armor that grants +1D against physical and energy attacks). If you can time a missile attack to the exact moment your target is launching fighters or projectiles, then your target wouldn't get to add his Shields to resist the damage.

Besides that, I don't think it should be normally possible to fly under a capital ship's shields. They should be pretty close to the surface so that you would have to be scraping against it to get a shot out. And that's if the particle shields are out. It could be possible, but it's not something you would ordinarily do in combat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: