The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

GM Aid tool & Character Creation Tool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> GM Aid tool & Character Creation Tool Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erebus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: GM Aid tool & Character Creation Tool Reply with quote

I was woundering, what would you like to see in a GM tool / application for Star Wars d6?
What features would you want / find usefull?
What os would you use it on?
Would you like one writen in python or java so it runs on any platform but requiers extra installs to run?

Im looking for any ides, thoughts and comments about this.

Last edited by erebus on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am starting to make one aswell - in VB tho, so it wont be cross platform, but i probably could write it in java so it is cross platform.

But what i was going to put in my first version was a basic combat helper. itll keep track of your characters current status and the enemy status aswell. it will have a roller and such aswell.

But i guess ideally you would want to be able to make characters, add equipment, update characters and such in it

i dont know if you play D&D but there is one there that is great.

http://www.dmgenie.com/

the player genie would be about what i would look for, i dont personally like some of the things added in the dmgenie (basically it has everything you need to play d&d) so the same would apply for this program - contain all the rules attached to the items that they would work with

but if you are thinking of starting a program, i can write in java with you, i dont know python, yet

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should preface this by stating all of the programs and scripts that are already out there. I'd hate for you to duplicate someone else's work.

I've got a really good dice roller by Adrian Parker. (The only thing it lacks is a roll log or any ability to use it over chats for PBP.)

There are three very good random generators, an alien generator (using the Alien Encouter rules), a planet generator (which is actually only so-so), and a random NPC generator.

I've also got a star wars database for taking care of starship, character, and weapon stats. But I haven't found that to be very useful.

Probably the most interesting is a Java applet that converts d20 characters into D6 characters.

I guess if there's one thing that hasn't been done well it's a D6 character generator. Characters are really easy to make if you're well versed in the system, but new players have a difficult time starting out. What would be a great program is one that had a pull-down menu for you to select your alien species, and it automatically loads the number of attribute dice for you as well as calculates in the special rules for the various species. (For example some species have a rule, "During character creation, Abyssin receive 2D for every 1D placed in this skill specialization, and, until the skill reaches 6D, advancement is half the normal Character Point cost.") If the program could account for those anomalies, then it would be really incredible.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering I have stats for about 426 alien species, creating such a systems might be quite a big pain....
erebus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent actually found any tool that contains the things Im looking for, I want a tool where you can create a char yourself, then update the stats as you play. Like a character database. Also with a dynamic species database, so you can add your own aliens, and the same with templates.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i was thinking about. big project, what do you do during the day atm, me, im a student in Computer Science and working part time. so i have a few hours each day to work on it Razz

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
erebus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of VB are you useing?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erebus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have hade experience with it. Have you started your project yet and if so how far have you gotten?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Well, considering I have stats for about 426 alien species, creating such a systems might be quite a big pain....

Obviously if you were going to create one with a COMPLETE list of aliens, the task would be daunting beyond all reasonable hope of creating it. However, people aren't going to play the vast majority of the alien species out there. There are some with nine attribute dice and a maximum strength of 2D. A selection of 20 or 30 of the more common aliens would greatly reduce the workload without much affecting it's functionality.

And let's face it, you don't need separate rules for Wroonians, Humans, and a good number of other species that have pretty much the same stats.

Like erebus said, if you have a selection of aliens, and then the ability to produce your own alien, it would be pretty remarkable.

BTW, erebus, have you ever seen the d20 Okina Rdae character generator? It was a FINE piece of work. One of the things that I really liked about that is that it allowed you to save your character sheet as a very attractive HTML file. At the very least, being able to print a nice-looking character sheet to take a gaming session would be a great feature.
erebus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes cheshire I have seen it.
I thought about this a bit now, and thought maybe a app that connects to a server, you enter username and password to log in and your character is stored there. It prevents cheating if you run an online game, and it should be able to send things like dice rolls and so on. Basicly two apps, one client and one server specially developed for sw d6, with the client being able to stand alone as well, so you dont have to connect to a server and can create your character localy.

Other features I was thinking about:
Templates, easy to pick templates (from the books or your own creation) that allows you to select a race, diffrent from the one on the template allready, the app checks to see if the species you selected have the same attributes dice, mini and max stats and if so just uses it, if not allows you to edit the stats so you follow the rules for the new species.

Printing possibileties both to papper and to a HTML document, this would however be in the future when the basics are done, anyone know of a
good HTML d6 character sheet that can be used as a template for this?

Equipment, add, remove, modefiy the equipment of your character.

Advancements, keep track of your characters advancements as they get better by updating your character.

There are probably more features I havent thought of yet as well.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im curious what your experience and ability of programming is. because i haven't done much web programming, however much i like the idea, i can see it as being quite daunting. altho i do have close to admin access (ima good friend of the admin with my on subdomain) of a web server whcih we can make use of.

and cheshire, it wound not be hard to get a full list of aliens at all. i have Gry's excelent alien stats book, and i can easily extrapolate that into database to hold all thoes aliens.

But it does sound as tho we have enough interest to do this, im willing to put time into making this program, and will commit myself to doing so, erebus, you up for making some program Razz

It doe sound as tho java is the way to go for this project(not sure about making it an exe tho, never done that before) but we ca always make it an applet easily enough i would think.

erebus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some webprogramming in PHP.
As for this I have allready a project that I started, its in VB thou, its not very much done on it in yet, it doesnt even have basic character creation, but its actually on the way.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VB would be a poor choice if you want to make it distributed (server client) Razz

erebus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why do you think so?
I have done simular things in VB before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: