The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

X-Wing: Rogue Squadron Fan-Made Sourcebook
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> X-Wing: Rogue Squadron Fan-Made Sourcebook Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dooku
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: X-Wing: Rogue Squadron Fan-Made Sourcebook Reply with quote

These are the stats that I have worked up so far for a potential Rogue Sqadron fan sourcebook.

First, I thought that I ought to establish the expert Wedge. I am including three sets of stats for him, two from WEG sourcebooks and then one to fit between the two. Note that The Truce at Bakura happens four years after A New Hope, Rogue Squadron happens 6.5 years after A New Hope, and Heir to the Empire occurs 9 years after A New Hope.

Wedge Antilles (as of the Battle of Bakura)
Source: Truce at Bakura Sourcebook page 34
Type: Brash Pilot
DEX 3D
Blaster 5D, brawling parry 3D+1, dodge 5D+2, melee combat 3D+1, vehicle blasters 3D+2
KNO 2D
Alien species 4D+1, bureaucracy 5D+2, cultures 2D+2, languages 3D, planetary systems 4D+2, survival 2D+1
MEC 4D
Astrogation 6D+2, space transports 5D+2, starfighter piloting: X-Wing 6D, starship gunnery 5D+2, starship shields 5D
PER 3D
Bargain 4D, command 4D+2, gambling 4D+1, hide 3D+1
STR 3D
Stamina 4D+2
TEC 3D
Computer programming/repair 5D+1, repulsorlift repair 3D+2, space transport repair 4D+1, starfighter repair 4D+1, starfighter repair: X-wing 5D
Force Points: 1
Character Points: 8
Move: 10
Equipment: Blaster pistol (4D), sealed flight suit, comlink, tool kit

Wedge Antilles (as of the Reinstitution of Rogue Squadron)
DEX 3D
Blaster 5D, brawling parry 3D+2, dodge 5D+2, melee combat 4D, vehicle blasters 3D+2
KNO 2D
Alien species 5D, bureaucracy 5D+2, cultures 3D, languages 4D, planetary systems 5D+2, survival 3D
MEC 4D
Astrogation 7D, repulsorlift operation 4D+2, space transports 5D+2, starfighter piloting: X-Wing 6D+2, starship gunnery 6D, starship shields 5D+1
PER 3D
Bargain 4D+1, command 5D+1, gambling 4D+2, hide 3D+2, sneak 3D+2
STR 3D
Brawling 3D+2, stamina 5D+1
TEC 3D
Computer programming/repair 5D+1, repulsorlift repair 3D+2, space transport repair 5D, starfighter repair 4D+1, starfighter repair: X-wing 5D+2
Character Points: 13

Wedge Antilles (as of the Battle at Sluis Van Shipyards)
Source: Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook page 39-40
DEX 3D
Blaster 5D+2, brawling parry 4D+1, dodge 6D+1, melee combat 4D+1, vehicle blasters 3D+2
KNO 2D
Alien species 5D+2, bureaucracy 6D, cultures 3D+2, languages 4D+2, planetary systems 6D+2, streetwise 3D, survival 3D+2
MEC 4D
Astrogation 7D+2, repulsorlift operation 5D+2, space transports 5D+2, starfighter piloting: X-Wing 7D, starship gunnery 7D+1, starship shields 6D
PER 3D
Bargain 5D, command 6D+2, gambling 5D, hide 4D, search 5D, sneak 4D
STR 3D
Brawling 4D, stamina 6D
TEC 3D
Computer programming/repair 6D, repulsorlift repair 4D, space transport repair 5D+2, starfighter repair 4D+1, starfighter repair: X-wing 6D+2
Character Points: 14

Note that from the Special Edition Trilogy Sourcebook (page 36), the typical rebel pilot has starfighter piloting: X-Wing 6D, which I might add is better than that of Wedge at the battle of Yavin. Because of that and the fact that Wedge is supposed to be a real hotshot pilot, I am assuming that the basic rebel pilot has starfighter piloting at 5D, while the more experienced and elite pilots have starfighter piloting: X-Wing 6D or starfighter piloting 6D

Edit: Added sources for two Wedge stat blocks.

Last edited by Dooku on Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dooku
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin Darklighter (as of the Reinstitution of Rogue Squadron)
DEX 3D
Blaster 4D+2, dodge 5D+1
KNO 2D
Cultures 4D+2, planetary systems 4D, streetwise 3D+2
MEC 4D
Repulsorlift operation 5D, starfighter piloting 6D, starship gunnery 6D
PER 3D
Con 4D
STR 2D+2
Brawling 4D+2, stamina 5D
TEC 3D
Computer programming/repair 4D+1, repulsorlift repair 3D+2, security 3D+2
Character Points: 4

For Gavin, I used the stats for Biggs Darklighter (Special Edition Sourcebook page 14) as a start. Because Gavin was supposed to be naive and not well-versed in the ways of the galaxy, I reduced his social skills a bit. He is supposed to be a good pilot, outscoring most of the other pilots in his sims, so his pilot skill remains high. This Gavin was compared against a New-Jedi-Order-incarnation of Gavin to ensure that he did not inexplicably lose stats. Also at the beginning of the series, Wedge wanted more time to give Gavin experience with astrogation, hence his lack of the astrogation skill.

Lusjayne Forge (as of the Reinstitution of Rogue Squadron)
DEX 3D
Blaster 4D, dodge 5D
KNO 3D
Cultures 4D, languages 4D+2, planetary systems 5D, streetwise 3D+2
MEC 3D+1
Repulsorlift operation 6D, starfighter piloting 5D, starship gunnery 4D+1
PER 3D
Bargain 4D, command 4D, persuade 4D,
STR 3D
Brawling 3D+2, stamina 4D
TEC 3D+2
Computer programming/repair 4D+2, repulsorlift repair 5D+2, starfighter repair 5D
Character Points: 5

Lusjayne was the worst pilot out of the squadron, so her piloting skill remains at about the same as a typical rebel pilot. She helps Corran repair his starfighter, and mentions her father teaching a repulorlift-repair course; hence her better technical skills. It has been said that she was the most social of the rogues. Since she is not in Rogue Squadron for more than one book, which is focused more on Corran anyway, there is not much to say.
Dooku
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nawara Ven (as of the Reinstitution of Rogue Squadron)
Type: Twi’lek Brash Pilot/Lawyer
DEX 3D
Blaster 4D+2, brawling parry 3D, dodge 6D,
KNO 3D+2
Alien species 6D, bureaucracy 6D+2, cultures 4D, languages 4D+2, law enforcement 6D+2
MEC 2D+1
Astrogation 5D, starfighter piloting 5D+1, starship gunnery 5D, starship shields 4D+1
PER 3D+1
Bargain 5D+1
STR 2D+2
Stamina 3D+2
TEC 2D
Starfighter repair 2D+1
Special Abilities:
Head-tails: Twi’leks can use their head-tails to communicate in secret with each other, even if in a room full of others. The complex movements of the tails is, in a sense, a “secret” language that all Twi’leks are fluent in.

I gave Nawara the skills I thought that he as a lawyer would need. He was a middle-of-the-pack pilot.

Ooryl Qyrgg(as of the Reinstitution of Rogue Squadron)
Type: Gand Brash Pilot
DEX 2D+2
Blaster 4D+1, brawling parry 3D+2, dodge 5D+2,
KNO 2D+2
Alien species 4D+2, languages 3D+2, survival 3D
MEC 3D+1
Astrogation 5D, starfighter piloting 5D+2, starship gunnery 7D, starship shields 4D+2
PER 3D+2
STR 3D
TEC 1D+2
Starfighter repair 2D+2
Special Abilities:
Findsman ceremonies: Gands use elaborate and arcane rituals to find prey. Whenever a Gand uses a ritual (which takes at least three hours), he gains a +2D bonus to track a target.

Ooryl was a fair pilot, and the comment was made several times in the series that he usually made his shots. As far as percentages go, Ooryl had the best hit rate, so I figured that this translated into a higher starship gunnery score.
Dooku
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the stats that I got from a read through that series, and some time spent thinking about some characters. I must admit that I did get bogged down in Wedge's Gamble, and so the extra skills that some of these pilots ought to have might be missing.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with reducing the average pilot to 5D, 6D seems a bit low for Wedge. I would think 8 or 9D, myself, at minimum. I don't have my books in front of me, but I would look at Luke's skill and probably raise it above that.
Dooku
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also thought that 6D (and the 7D at Sluis Van) was low for Wedge. Is "internal" consistancy between this source and the Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook something that ought to be sacrificed for a higher pilot skill for Wedge?
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home now. The Thrawn book records Luke's X-Wing skill as 10D+1 as of the Battle of Sluis Van, and that's with all the other running around he does. Hell, ALL Wedge does is kick @$$ in his X-Wing, I would say he'd have to be better than Luke by at minimum 2D. I think WEG dropped the ball on that one, but I'm a huge Wedge fan, so I might be biased.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEG dropped the ball. They just didn't realize the kind of hero Wedge is. Those stats are for a slightly glorified extra (which is what Wedge is in the movies), but in the EU Wedge is one of the best starfighter pilots and commanders in the whole galaxy!

In my opinion Wedge should be around 10D piloting, while Luke should be 8D at most. He can beat Wedge by using the Force, but on skill alone, Wedge is the better.

But then, I'm a huge sucker for staying true to WEG's stats, so I don't know to get around this issue...
Dooku
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely agree that WEG dropped the ball with this one. They just did not have the information about Wedge that the X-Wing books provide. I did a conversion from WotC's Rebellion Era Sourcebook, and it would place Wedge with a starfighter: X-Wing of about 8D before the Battle of Endor.

I agree that Wedge ought to be at about 10D for piloting by Sluis Van (although I might disagree that he is more than a pip or two better than Luke).

I, too, would like to stay true to WEG's stats. However, we do have information that WEG did not have. I am not sure what the best way to proceed on this would be.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think creating this sourcebook is a fantastic idea. Stating notable NPC's (like Wedge) are a must as you are doing. It would also be neat to include some info similar to the likes of The Rules of Engagement Handbook.

We could also have chapters such as: A Brief History of the Rebel/New Republic starfighter corps, Life as a Starfighter Pilot, Operations and Missions, Supplies, Other Notable Units (besides Rogue Squadron), Bases, The Enemy (a brief profile and contrast of how Rebel pilots might differ from Imperial pilots), and finally a chapter offering tips on running a starfighter campaign. Perhaps Gry would be willing to lend us his intriguing modified Star Warriors system? Wink

I must admit I've never been much of a Micheal Stackpole fan so I haven't read much of the X-wing novels but I have read a few of the DarkHorse comic series. I would assume these sources would provide some good inspiration.

There are also bits an pieces scattered throughout the WEG material. I know the DarkStryder campaign features a Corellian Corvette that has been equipped with a squadron of starfighters. The section that details the running of the corvette gives a great description of how a fighter deck is run and stuff of that sort.

Do we have any Navy or Air Force people with us on Rancor Pit? Maybe they can help us fill in some of the gaps...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wedge Antilles (as of the Battle at Sluis Van Shipyards)
Source: Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook page 39-40
DEX 3D
Blaster 5D+2, brawling parry 4D+1, dodge 6D+1, melee combat 4D+1, vehicle blasters 3D+2
KNO 2D
Alien species 5D+2, bureaucracy 6D, cultures 3D+2, languages 4D+2, planetary systems 6D+2, streetwise 3D, survival 3D+2
MEC 4D
Astrogation 7D+2, repulsorlift operation 5D+2, space transports 5D+2, starfighter piloting: X-Wing 7D, starship gunnery 7D+1, starship shields 6D
PER 3D
Bargain 5D, command 6D+2, gambling 5D, hide 4D, search 5D, sneak 4D
STR 3D
Brawling 4D, stamina 6D
TEC 3D
Computer programming/repair 6D, repulsorlift repair 4D, space transport repair 5D+2, starfighter repair 4D+1, starfighter repair: X-wing 6D+2
Character Points: 14

Note that from the Special Edition Trilogy Sourcebook (page 36), the typical rebel pilot has starfighter piloting: X-Wing 6D, which I might add is better than that of Wedge at the battle of Yavin. Because of that and the fact that Wedge is supposed to be a real hotshot pilot, I am assuming that the basic rebel pilot has starfighter piloting at 5D, while the more experienced and elite pilots have starfighter piloting: X-Wing 6D or starfighter piloting 6D

Thats it... I would have figured he would be in the 10-12d regoion. Most of the pirates listed in pirates and privateers could whup his butt by those stats... AND NO tactics/// What were they smoking.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dooku wrote:
I agree that Wedge ought to be at about 10D for piloting by Sluis Van (although I might disagree that he is more than a pip or two better than Luke).

It's my opinion that Luke probably is an equal or better pilot than Wedge overall, but that's due to his Force abilities in combination with his piloting. If you took the Force away from him, his raw skill would be significantly lower than Wedge's, which is why I think Wedge should be at least a few D better than Luke in actual stat numbers.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But then, I'm a huge sucker for staying true to WEG's stats, so I don't know to get around this issue...

Well then, we go to the next best (or perhaps even better than the original) thing, and have GRY do the stats! Since he is, after all, just like (or better than) having a WEG guy here doing them... Wink

And besides that, I'd REALLY love to also have a Wraith Squadron sourcebook. I very much liked that squadron; their composition and skill set was very like a group I used to run with, which was actually kinda a cross between the Wraiths and the Rogues; some were pilots with secondary skills, and other characters had piloting as their secondary skills, so it was a very balanced group.
Dooku
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: X-Wing: Rogue Squadron Fan-Made Sourcebook Reply with quote

Dooku wrote:

Wedge Antilles (as of the Reinstitution of Rogue Squadron)
DEX 3D
Blaster 5D, brawling parry 3D+2, dodge 5D+2, melee combat 4D, vehicle blasters 3D+2
KNO 2D
Alien species 5D, bureaucracy 5D+2, cultures 3D, languages 4D, planetary systems 5D+2, survival 3D, (tactics: fleets 3D+2), (tactics: starfighters 5D)
MEC 4D
Astrogation 7D, repulsorlift operation 4D+2 (6D), space transports 5D+2, (starfighter piloting 7D+1), starfighter piloting: X-Wing 6D+2 (9D+2), starship gunnery 6D (8D), starship shields 5D+1 (7D)
PER 3D
Bargain 4D+1, command 5D+1 (command: Rogue Squadron 6D), gambling 4D+2, hide 3D+2, sneak 3D+2
STR 3D
Brawling 3D+2, stamina 5D+1
TEC 3D
Computer programming/repair 5D+1, repulsorlift repair 3D+2, space transport repair 5D, starfighter repair 4D+1, starfighter repair: X-wing 5D+2
Character Points: 13

Suppose we entertain the thought of not keeping to the WEG stats. How does this look as a Wedge at the beginning of the X-Wing series? Changes are in bold after the original.

Last edited by Dooku on Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dooku
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you include both Rogue and Wraith Squadrons in the same fan book or would you give them separate ones? I personally would give them separate ones and would be willing to work on that one after a Rogue Squadron book is finished. The Wraiths are statted for d20 in an issue of Star Wars Gamer (9, I think). I was going to find it and bring it back from my parents' house once I have gone there. There is so much each of the subseries that I think that they ought to get their own books.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: