The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Declaring actions and simultaneous actions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Declaring actions and simultaneous actions Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slaughterj
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Declaring actions and simultaneous actions Reply with quote

Just got 2nd ed expanded and revised and was reviewing and a few things came up:
1. It appears that you declare an action and take it, which means you can't do two actions at once. For instance, if I want to run from one alley to the other alley across the street (say 20 meters) and in the middle of the run I want to take a shot at the stormtrooper that I know is there but can only see during the middle of the run, it seems I cannot do this. (Maybe I can declare one action to walk out there, then wait and take a shot out there, and then declare a final action to walk away? But see#2 below.) Is this correct? (It seems that when the rules were changed to each side alternating taking an action, that such typical cinematic fare got lost in the shuffle of rules balancing.)
2. Can you declare multiple actions and use each one as a movement? That doesn't seem exactly right, but I see nothing that disallows it. This seems really open to abuse though, e.g., I declare 10 actions, and intend to all-out run in each one across the smooth terrain, so it is unlikely I will stumble and I will get really far away.
3. It seems you can't "hold" your action, but I'm wondering how you shoot someone who is doing #1 above or something even more simple, e.g., popping up from behind cover, shooting, and dropping back?
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Declaring actions and simultaneous actions Reply with quote

slaughterj wrote:
1. It appears that you declare an action and take it, which means you can't do two actions at once. For instance, if I want to run from one alley to the other alley across the street (say 20 meters) and in the middle of the run I want to take a shot at the stormtrooper that I know is there but can only see during the middle of the run, it seems I cannot do this. (Maybe I can declare one action to walk out there, then wait and take a shot out there, and then declare a final action to walk away? But see#2 below.) Is this correct? (It seems that when the rules were changed to each side alternating taking an action, that such typical cinematic fare got lost in the shuffle of rules balancing.)

If the player knows that there are enemies but cannot see them at the start of the round, apply the proper penalties to the shot (say +2D if the stormies don't have cover for example). This task is two actions, running and blaster, according to the description.

slaughterj wrote:
2. Can you declare multiple actions and use each one as a movement? That doesn't seem exactly right, but I see nothing that disallows it. This seems really open to abuse though, e.g., I declare 10 actions, and intend to all-out run in each one across the smooth terrain, so it is unlikely I will stumble and I will get really far away.

No. You are limited to your total movement. All movement rules are the same except that people and creatures can change speeds at two increments instead of just one (stop to cruise, then cruise to all out for example). I think only four moves are allowed total though.

slaughterj wrote:
3. It seems you can't "hold" your action, but I'm wondering how you shoot someone who is doing #1 above or something even more simple, e.g., popping up from behind cover, shooting, and dropping back?

Shooting and then ducking would be blaster and dodge. The enemy can just use the cover penalty instead if they didn't know about the popping up move. GM call on this one.
slaughterj
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Declaring actions and simultaneous actions Reply with quote

Xynar wrote:
slaughterj wrote:

If the player knows that there are enemies but cannot see them at the start of the round, apply the proper penalties to the shot (say +2D if the stormies don't have cover for example). This task is two actions, running and blaster, according to the description.

Okay, but my question still remains. Since each action is handled separately, how can I do both simultaneously? Presumably I would say at declaration "I want to take two actions this round, running and taking a shot of the troopers." Then I would take the first one, running, and run across the field, then the troopers would get an action (presumably nothing, since I am now out of view), then I would get an action (presumably nothing, since I am now out of view and cannot take the shot I desired).

Xynar wrote:
slaughterj wrote:

Shooting and then ducking would be blaster and dodge. The enemy can just use the cover penalty instead if they didn't know about the popping up move. GM call on this one.

I keep going back and forth on this one, probably because of the difference between the fluidity of real life versus the turn order of games. It seems that if I start out entirely behind cover and out of sight, then the trooper cannot see me to shoot at me. If I then pop up, shoot at him, and drop back down (entirely behind cover), he would not be able to return fire - but that wouldn't make sense - so presumably his action of return shooting effectively is while I am somewhat exposed. However, this does not mean that I am shooting and dodging, just using the cover, though presumably I *could* dodge as well (though such is likely a waste as the dodge roll probably won't exceed the range and cover factors for assessing the difficulty number). It would seem that the difference between doing this and simply using cover is that the trooper couldn't shoot at me if his action was first, because I would pop up after he took his action, shoot him, and drop back...hmmm....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

My understanding of that rule is that each side declairs how many actions they are taking, then the winning side takes their first action. THen the loosing side takes their first action. So by the rule, yes you would walk out halfway (first movement), they go, then you shoot, they go, then you move a second time.

Quote:
2. Can you declare multiple actions and use each one as a movement? That doesn't seem exactly right, but I see nothing that disallows it. This seems really open to abuse though, e.g., I declare 10 actions, and intend to all-out run in each one across the smooth terrain, so it is unlikely I will stumble and I will get really far away

IIRC there is technically only 1 movement allowed, but you get the choice of whether it is half, full, flank or all out..

Quote:

While not an official rule, i know several other gms who allow the 'holding of actions but if you are holding for an occurance (eg the first stormie to round the corner etc) then you dice off per versys per to see if you get the drop on them.

Quote:
Okay, but my question still remains. Since each action is handled separately, how can I do both simultaneously? Presumably I would say at declaration "I want to take two actions this round, running and taking a shot of the troopers." Then I would take the first one, running, and run across the field, then the troopers would get an action (presumably nothing, since I am now out of view), then I would get an action (presumably nothing, since I am now out of view and cannot take the shot I desired).

Then you could declair three actions, 1) move, 2) shoot 3) move..
Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I would handle the situations in my games:

1: You can make simultanious actions (running and shooting) with MAPs, then an additional penatly would apply to the blaster shot, dependant on the terrain difficulty.

2: You cannot make more than 1 move action per round. Period.

Quote:

How I would handle the 2 examples:
a) You only have an opportunity to shoot the runner if you are "holding" a shooting action, gun raised, "ready". Your shot, in addition to any MAPs, would have an additional penalty applied dependant on how fast the target is moving.
b) Same thing applies as in a) above, must be "ready". The difficulty to hit would either be normal penalties (distance + cover) or dodge roll of target (the "dropping back"), whichever is higher.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Liam. Simultaneous actions are certainly possible and only one Move action is allowed per round.

1 - You declare 2 actions. You make your running roll and everyone else make their first actions. Then you make your blaster roll and then finish your move action, with noa dditional rolls necessary.

2 - I would declare 2 actions. One blaster, one dodge. Standing up from cover is a free action but ducking back down when there's incoming fire classifies as a dodge. If any trooper is holding their action for when you pop up, they get to roll blaster against your dodge.
slaughterj
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I agree with Liam. Simultaneous actions are certainly possible and only one Move action is allowed per round.

1 - You declare 2 actions. You make your running roll and everyone else make their first actions. Then you make your blaster roll and then finish your move action, with noa dditional rolls necessary.

That might work but seems artificial to me. For instance, I start to run from the alley (still out of sight from the troopers) and intend to shoot as soon as I can see them (i.e., I am triggering the opportunity to shoot). But if I declare my first action as running (because I have to get into sight of them to see them to shoot them), then I run out some, then they get their first action, they get to shoot me before I get a chance to shoot them, which doesn't seem appropriate. On the flip side, if their action is first, they wouldn't get to do anything (since I'm not visible yet), so they get skipped, then I take my first action (run out) and then my second action (shoot; assuming they just elected one action), then finish my move out of their sight - which again doesn't seem appropriate since they get no chance at shooting at me.

Gry Sarth wrote:
2 - I would declare 2 actions. One blaster, one dodge. Standing up from cover is a free action but ducking back down when there's incoming fire classifies as a dodge. If any trooper is holding their action for when you pop up, they get to roll blaster against your dodge.

But I thought there is no holding of actions allowed?!

The changes from 1st ed seem good to balance away from allowing someone to get 5 blaster shots at someone else before they get to go by dividing up the actions, but then this leads to weird results along the way, as noted above. I'm thinking that the system might work better by allowing multiple actions simultaneously if they are reasonable (e.g., move and run, dodge and run and shoot) but require them to be sequential otherwise (e.g., shoot and then shoot, but of course, there will be the wiseass who wants to shoot with two pistols at once...).

Also, it seems good to allow for holding actions, perhaps saying that the character is simply selecting one action (whatever is declared as the held action, e.g., waiting for trooper to appear and then shoot), and the character can still always throw in a dodge/reaction skill if necessary.

Last edited by slaughterj on Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slaughterj wrote:

That might work but seems artificial to me.

Yes, it's artificial. It's a roleplaying game. Smile We don't do the real stuff as hacking your friend with a working lightsaber often offends.

slaughterj wrote:

For instance, I start to run from the alley (still out of sight from the troopers) and intend to shoot as soon as I can see them (i.e., I am triggering the opportunity to shoot). But if I declare my first action as running (because I have to get into sight of them to see them to shoot them), then I run out some, then they get their first action, they get to shoot me before I get a chance to shoot them, which doesn't seem appropriate.

I think we have to remember the difference between what your character knows and the player knows. The Stormie might not know that he's going to be there, but the GM does. If the player gets initiative, he'll get the first shot. But I see nothing in the rules that says that ever states that all players must take their first actions, and then everyone gets to take second actions and so on. If you get initiative, then you get to do all of your actions. IIRC you CAN save reaction skill dice back for when you want to dodge or parry.

slaughterj wrote:

On the flip side, if their action is first, they wouldn't get to do anything (since I'm not visible yet), so they get skipped, then I take my first action (run out) and then my second action (shoot; assuming they just elected one action), then finish my move out of their site - which again doesn't seem appropriate since they get no chance at shooting at me.

I'm having a hard time understanding why not spotting a character first means that you get "skipped." If you manage to take a Stormie by surprise they won't have an opportunity to dodge an attack that they don't know is comming. But if you manage to miss, then they sure do get a chance of shooting you.

slaughterj wrote:

But I thought there is no holding of actions allowed?!

IIRC if you rolled initiative, you can choose when to react to the things around you. In that sense, you can choose to hold off actions.

slaughterj wrote:

The changes from 1st ed seem good to balance away from allowing someone to get 5 blaster shots at someone else before they get to go by dividing up the actions, but then this leads to weird results along the way, as noted above. I'm thinking that the system might work better by allowing multiple actions simultaneously if they are reasonable (e.g., move and run, dodge and run and shoot) but require them to be sequential otherwise (e.g., shoot and then shoot, but of course, there will be the wiseass who wants to shoot with two pistols at once...).

I don't really see anything in the rules about saying that actions can't be simultaneous. You just have to declare them, and roll for them separately. One of the simultaneous actions may succeed while another fails.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify the situation where the trooper might shoot at you while you're running past the alley trying to shoot him, this is how I would handle it:

It really depends on whether the trooper knows you're coming his way or not. If he's expecting you to run by, then he can hold his first action until you show up for him to shoot you. But he still has to beat your initiative roll in order to shoot you before you shoot him, even though your shot is your second action, because he postponed his action. If he isn't expecting you to come running past, then he's only allowed to try and shoot you after you've fired, thus alerting him.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or roll both the PCs and the troopers blaster- the higher one hits and the lower one was too slow. That way they fire at the same time.
slaughterj
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
But I see nothing in the rules that says that ever states that all players must take their first actions, and then everyone gets to take second actions and so on. If you get initiative, then you get to do all of your actions. IIRC you CAN save reaction skill dice back for when you want to dodge or parry.

I was just reading the rules last night, including the simple play examples, and it appears that you do alternate actions with each side, which moots much of your post. Further, it says you can't hold your actions. Take a look back at the text.
slaughterj
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
To clarify the situation where the trooper might shoot at you while you're running past the alley trying to shoot him, this is how I would handle it:

It really depends on whether the trooper knows you're coming his way or not. If he's expecting you to run by, then he can hold his first action until you show up for him to shoot you. But he still has to beat your initiative roll in order to shoot you before you shoot him, even though your shot is your second action, because he postponed his action. If he isn't expecting you to come running past, then he's only allowed to try and shoot you after you've fired, thus alerting him.

Sounds good, though per the book, there's no holding of actions allowed - you're skipped if you don't do anything.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why you don't have to take the rules at face value. Holding actions is perfectly reasonable, and a widely used house rule. Being fast means you act precisely when you mean to, not before that.
slaughterj
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify my example, here's the situation: The PC fled a group of troopers, who gave chase. The PC is now hiding in an alley down the street, and the troopers are searching down the street for the PC, expecting the PC to be hidden nearby. The PC's alley has a dead-end, but the one across the street does not, so the PC decides he wants to run across the street to the other alley. However, the PC hears the troopers coming (ordering people out of the way, etc.), so while running across the street, the PC wants to take a shot at a trooper. Therefore, in summary, the PC starts out of sight of the troopers and will finish his move out of sight of the troopers, both sides are *generally* aware of the other, and the PC wants to shoot during his movement (e.g., when he first spots a trooper while running across the street).

There are several apparent problems with the rules with this scenario
1. Actions appear to be taken by alternating between sides.
2. Actions appear to be taken individually, not simultaneously (since they alternate).
3. One can't hold their action.
4. Only one move action can be taken in a round (haven't seen this rule, but expect it exists based on above comments).

Because you alternate actions, it seems you cannot designate both a move and shoot action at the same time. Therefore if you are in a totally hidden location at the start and end of your move, you would not have the opportunity to shoot (this is further reinforced by rule #4 above, which would indicate only being able to move before or after another action). And if troopers went first, they could not hold their 1 declared action to shoot you when you appear, enabling you to run by unscathed (though not being able to shoot back). It appears that some rules bending or breaking is necessary to run the game effectively in its current state.
slaughterj
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
That's why you don't have to take the rules at face value. Holding actions is perfectly reasonable, and a widely used house rule. Being fast means you act precisely when you mean to, not before that.

That's all well and good, but seems like a fundamental flaw in the system, which a revised and expanded rules release should have addressed.

Further, allowing holding actions seems to circumvent the point of the split declaration / action setup in the rules. If holding is allowed, then why not always choose to go first, and hold your action to see what your opponent does and then act?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: