The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

WEG ship part replacement weight issue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> WEG ship part replacement weight issue Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: WEG ship part replacement weight issue Reply with quote

Ok, I've been looking at Galaxy Guide 6, particulary chapter 8 which for those who don't already know is on mods and repairs for starships. In talking about replacement parts, it mentions every part has weight and that weight is taken out of cargo if you replace a pre-exsisting part with a newer, more powerful part. Fair enough, but there is a problem with it.

Let's say I have a stock TL-1800 and I want to mod it's sublight speed to 6. As stock it rates a 4. So going with GG6 if I have the creds for purchase I can get an Incom Starslinger Ion Drive, which weighs 12 tons and gives a sublight speed of 6. Now here's the problem, according to the chapter that means I loose 12 tons of cargo as basically that's the only place the weight can come from. But weight, isn't that like saying the pre-exsisting parts weigh absolutely nothing?

Yep, I just asked if that means a sublight drive already on a ship weighs nothing when you go to replace it. And that's something I can't except. If we say the TL-1800's Y-v-6 sublight engines weigh the same as the SoroSuub Boav Ion Drive due to both having a sublight speed of 4, then we're saying that the stock design takes into account 10 tons for a sublight engine. That would mean already having a space that would take 10 of the 12 tons needed to fit the Starslinger Ion Drive, requireing us to only loose two tons of cargo space instead of twelve.

My point is that GG6 appears to ignore the fact that you've already got something that weighs a certain amount when you're replacing it with something heavier. Not all of the replacement weight should come from cargo space. At least some, if not most, should come from the item that's being replaced first.

Wanted Poster
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going partial makes sense.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, good point. My characters have not had to replace anything that was different (they were not rich enough to replace the engine with a better one when it broke). But how i would do it is when you remove the existing engine, you gain x tonnage back, and then its normal rules for installing. makes sence to me.. Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, if you're willing to pay more (A *LOT* more!) you might get a more efficient engine that takes up the same amount of space/mass!
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must point this out to my GM, perhaps I can get some cargo space back.

I always thought the parts weighed 12 extra tonnes and the like but I don't own that book (Though the GM does) so I hadn't sat down and thought about it.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
But how i would do it is when you remove the existing engine, you gain x tonnage back, and then its normal rules for installing. makes sence to me.. Smile

Yeah, pretty much. You're not likely to keep what you're replacing, be it the sublight or the hyperdrive (though you might get rid of the current backup hyperdrive and switch it for the current primary hyperdrive), so you're gaining more cargo space Then you loose what's been gained along with some extra.

Though Ray has a point, maybe you can find something that weighs the same but is faster.

Wanted Poster
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where the rules for "Modifying" come into play.

But, if you get something purpose-built at the time, you'd pay a bit more than the "Modified" Engine, but also wouldn't have to deal with issues of it being "Modified".

Like having a Race-Tuned Engine straight out of the crate, rather than trying to fight with a Stock Engine and Add-On Parts.

Also, you won't have the GM joke about how everything is now attached to your nice, shiney Ionic Supercharger, as the rest of the engine is a rusted out, beat up wreck.

'Course, your ship won't have as much personality as if you personally wrenched it. Wink

Ideas like this made my group the bane of my GMs existance. Twisted Evil
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, modifying what's already there is better as it only costs creds, unless you do it yourself. But modding the exsisting equipment brings with it the danger of explosions and other undesirable effects. Though when you don't have the creds, what are you gonna do?

However, I am not trying to put down modding your ship's systems in favor of replacing them. The whole point of the thread was the fact that GG6 says replacements cost cargo space to amount to their weight. And it gives some replacement parts with their weight. It doesn't make sense to ignore the weight of the item being replaced and take it all out of the cargo.

Wanted Poster
Rasputiza
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that rule was made for making modifications a bit taxing and thus making players thinking hard on it before going tinkering with their ships...
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the whole point was to balance upgrades and cargo space. You could have a super-freighter with no cargo space. The whole book was about making profit and less cargo space means less profit.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less profit, but no ability for Customs Agents to take away said profit.

So, ship things that are high price items. Blaster Gas, for example. Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasputiza wrote:
I suspect that rule was made for making modifications a bit taxing and thus making players thinking hard on it before going tinkering with their ships...

Maybe they took the 'removal of yor old unit' into consideration...
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point may have also been so folks don't upgrade the ******** out of their ship without facing consequences. I mean, picture someone with a YT-1300 as fast as a TIE Interceptor, with a hull strength akin to the Death Star, SSD shields, a hyperdrive faster than the Falcon, as many weapons as four ImpStars (and all the same as you'd get on an ImpStar), and still able to carry 100 tons. Certainly can't carry the most cargo, but you can bet it's one light freighter most pirates ain't gonna wanna deal with. Course realistically you can't put all that on something that's only 26.7 meters in size, even if you don't take all that stuff's weight into account.

Sorry folks, don't mean to sound so argumentative. Just trying to keep a decent discussion going. I really do appreciate that all of you are willing to discuss this.

Wanted Poster
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trying to figure out the weight/cost to make a Freighter a Lowrider...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you don't mind but i posted this on the SWPRGNETWORK's holonet..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: