The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Solo Adventures
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Solo Adventures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Battlestar
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Solo Adventures Reply with quote

Anybody where I can get any of these? My gaming group is limited (Like 2 people including me).
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the solo adventures that I've seen for D6, they require you to be a particular character - Luke or Han, for example.

As such, I've never been crazy about using them, myself, because my character is very different from either of them in type and number of skills...

as for where to get them, check the file sharing things (if you wanted to go that route) or, check ebay to try to get them legitimately...
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a solo adventure for Luke, one for Han (As mentioned above) and another called Imperial Double Cross where you play a young child. All of these "solitaire adventures" are meant to be played alone, without a gamemaster. Each is designed in the "choose your own adventure" style.

There are many games you can run for them with only two players, and lots of advice I can give you. Do you know what kind of characters your players want to play?

Also, how much gamemastering experience do you have? Lastly, do you want to run modules, or just do not want to have to make your own?
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, did they mean solo adventures as in adventures like Ruins of Kabus-Dabeh from the Tales of the Jedi Companion and Cantina Breakout from the 2nd Edition R&E corebook? Rather than merely CYOA style, it's the luck of the roll and they give character templates to play with.

Wanted Poster
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Hellcat, exactly like that. They are good for waisting some time, but since you don't even use your own character they aren't much fun by my opinion. I do recognize that it would be hard to write a CYOA module for an "any character" and have it be rewarding though.
That's improbable?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have to disagree with not being able to use your own characters for these games. As long as the character is not super powerful in comparison to the character created specifically for the adventure, or you choose to up the difficulty of each roll to reflect your character being more powerful, then you wouldn't have to use characters like Blaine Hansom.

But I do agree about using them to waste some time. Their also good for when you're by yourself between gaming periods, or for intergrating into an adventure you're putting together.

Wanted Poster
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I totally made my own character to go through the one at the end of Tales of the Jedi. It's just that unless your character is of the same vein as the provided one it is hard to feel good about the adventure at all. They write them knowing what skills the given character has so if you don't have those skills you seem to fail at a lot of the rolls.

I'm like you, I'd rather play my own character, but for example imagine running through the TotJ adventure with a non-jedi...it's possible but more awkward of an adventure.
That's improbable?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but could also make for one heck of an adventure you can really pat yourself on the back if you beat it. Razz

Wanted Poster
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that.

Battlestar:

What can we do to help you, I doubt these adventures will help you much, even if you could find them.
That's improbable?
Battlestar
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys basically what I need is some hints on making some good adventures that will work good with just 1 GM and 1 player.
daphnebluestrat
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battlestar wrote:
Well guys basically what I need is some hints on making some good adventures that will work good with just 1 GM and 1 player.

Well, don't make too many enemies unless you want the PC to be running away 24/7.

If your PLAYER is really inventive and creative, though, you can really do pretty much whatever you want.

I one-on-one'd a guy who is seriously pretty much a genius; it was his first roleplaying experience ever, so his character wasa basically a clone of himself. But because the guy is such a fast talker and thinker IRL, his character hardly ever got in actual gun- or fistfights.

He escaped from an Imperial prison without either side firing a blaster. And I wasn't being easy on him; he was coming up with such incredible ideas and rolling well enough that I didn't need to give him any breaks.

He went through the "Pirates of Prexiar" adventure with only one NPC ally; he stole the pirates' corvette rather than even bothering to return the cargo to his Ghotrc freighter.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battlestar wrote:

Make the player play two different characters. This way you can expand the story and you're guaranteed to have more than one gun. Also include at least one NPC and don't forget droids.

Or focus around a single character and make sure there is backstory to follow up on and create a unique experience by tailoring the game to this character. One droid as a companion at most. No NPCs. Make it like the Bourne series of movies/books.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have many ways you can take this game. (Do you know what the player wants to play, and in what era the game will be set?)

You can either have him go it all alone (which can be very hard for a "normal" campaign) or you can play it like a TV show. What I mean by that is think of shows like Buffy or Smallville. Those shows are practically all about one person one a supporting cast.
That's improbable?
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played and GMed solo SWRPG many times. I don't see any problems with it except you need to create story for only one character. Personally I don't like to have more than one character (I prefer to completely empathize with just only one character at once), but Xynar's proposition of droid NPC sounds great (NPCs as companion is a good idea).
"Standard" adventures aren't best for one player (insufficient firepower and limited skills), but one-on-one play is an opportunity to create completely different stories - PC vs. rest of the world (like a real life, but in Star wars universe Smile).
Of course you'll probably need to write adventures by yourself, but IMO it's even easier than for standard adventure, because it's easier to tailor a story for one (probably well-known) player and there's less problems if your player do something unexpected.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that I'm saying the adventures are radically different; I agree with you that it comes down to an issue of limited resources (skills, firepower, ect) that only one character has.

As for published adventures, you can run them but they have to be modified to compensate for only having one character unless the PC has access to several NPC cohorts with a wide array of skills (Droid or human).
That's improbable?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: