The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stun setting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Stun setting Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Stun setting Reply with quote

My group has a house rule that lightsabers can't parry blaster bolts set on the stun setting.

The logic behind it is that the bolt looks so wildly different from the kill bolt (being the hollow blue ring)that the lightsaber can't just bat them away.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Esoomian on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's quite plausible. That "blue circle stun bolt" has always created some weird situations, which are not covered by the rules. The stun bolt seems to be such an "area effect" thing that it should have individual rules to reflect the movie. For example, can you shoot someone who's using another person as cover, and not stun the human shield as well?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm I hadn't considered that the bolt is large enough that it may be able to hit multiple targets with a good enough shot... still I imagine the 'damage' would be shared between the two targets so you're unlikely to be able to stun two people at once.

Strangely enough we've never encountered the human shield situation before. Then again most of our NPCs tend to favour hard cover and our PCs tend to think human shields unsporting.
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually give people +1D to hit (on stun) but -1D to the damage. (The bolt is spread out.)

So of course, it was not possible to parry.
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the campaign and the GM, we've gone either way with the parry thing.
With the human shield thing, I've thought about it, but we've always treated it as a regular targetting blast, since there is not blast radius associated with it.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's area affect, why have Deck Sweepers?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, that's wh I say the rules are not that consistant with the movies...
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as parrying stun blasts, you kind of have to look at a couple of things...

1) Every time we see a stun blast in the movies, it's pretty much the big, person sized blue rings.

2) In KOTOR, in the fish kingdom (I forget what it's called), where you have to go into the underwater base, they use similar weapons, but, if you have a lightsaber, it DOES allow you to parry them... You need to watch closely, but it does happen.

To me, this says that they CAN be parried, but, I would probably give a higher difficulty to do so...

just my 2 centicreds...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought the no parry was an official rule, as i also use it..
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsiberDragon wrote:
2) In KOTOR, in the fish kingdom (I forget what it's called), where you have to go into the underwater base, they use similar weapons, but, if you have a lightsaber, it DOES allow you to parry them... You need to watch closely, but it does happen.

In KOTOR the fish creatures use a sonic weapon which shouldn't be able to be parried I thought that it was able to be parried because the game makers didn't bother to create rules for which guns could be parried and which couldn't.

Xynar wrote:
If it's area affect, why have Deck Sweepers?

Yeah That's what we ruled too.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsiberDragon wrote:

Even if a lightsaber can operate into water, it is not possible to use it effectively in water. It's because of the nature of the blade which pushs away water and produces heavy vibrations.

The main reasons why stun beam is not considered by the rules as an area of effect beam is only in regards of game ballance: it is already more effective to use "stun beam weapon" (as a blaster set on "stun") than a "kill beam weapon". Thus adding one more advantage by giving the "area of effect" bonus unballance to much the system.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in the game, the stun beam was designed with game balance and ease-of-use mechanics in mind, not to match what we saw in the movies.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be that the one stun shot we see in the movies (that I remember) is a wide effect setting. It is in a boarding operation setting, and the Pirates and Privateers book describes stun guns with that effect for that very purpose. This isn't any kind of official view, I'm merely speculating in order to reconcile the movie effect with the mechanics of the game.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting conjecture, but it's quite improbable, since the E-11 Stormtrooper Rifle has never been mentioned to possess such a wide effect setting.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalanks Balas wrote:

Even if a lightsaber can operate into water, it is not possible to use it effectively in water. It's because of the nature of the blade which pushs away water and produces heavy vibrations.

In the game you never actually use a lightsaber in the water you just happen to be in a base that is underwater

masque wrote:
It could also be that the one stun shot we see in the movies (that I remember) is a wide effect setting. It is in a boarding operation setting, and the Pirates and Privateers book describes stun guns with that effect for that very purpose. This isn't any kind of official view, I'm merely speculating in order to reconcile the movie effect with the mechanics of the game.

Possible but as I recall the trooper who takes the shot has the same blaster as everyone else so unless all the stormies have these blasters then it's more likely to be a standard stun setting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: