The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Game balance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Game balance Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Game balance Reply with quote

I think a big problem that I have as a GM is making some of the first missions for characters a little too difficult i think i need to learn how to back-off a bit while players are getting a feel for their character Smile
it's still a little new to me keeping the game totally balanced between challanges and ease, because i've seen a few GMs that give characters a little break, then the characters no longer fear the enemy (not anyone on the forums). Sometimes i'm the other type of GM that makes the characters earn something as small as their rations Smile

Obi-Wan Kenobi
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something you can always do, is make the encounters a bit easier than you usually might. If something goes far too easy, and there is no challenge, it's not hard to send reinforcements. This way, if you wanted the challenge higher, it's easy to tweak. And if it's easy at first, the pc's think they accomplished something, giving them a bit of confidence to think they can do it.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what fun is a boring life? If your PC's never feel like there is any real danger (life-threating) then they will never progress as players. This is lesson that I've had to learn many times over....
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some tasks are just imposible, though.

I know my players strengths, weaknesses and what they expect from me as MOG.

Crell wrote
Quote:
Sometimes i'm the other type of GM that makes the characters earn something as small as their rations

Most of my missions as Miraj, were very challenging, and at the time, I might have thought they were impossible. Now, looking back on them, I wouldn't have done it differently.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... you're a lot more experienced in starwars than my players are, and i'm worried i'll scare them off. But if they feel the same way you do, then i feel that i'm accomplishing my job as M.O.G - San Mateo

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try letting the players know that their characters are special. Give the sniper a special assignment or a task only s/he could do. Give the pilot a challenging terrain, one with fun and danger. Show the mega damager that blasting stuff sometimes is the only way. Allow the players to work together and express themselves through solo actions and team play where they use their strenths and rely on each others strenths as well.

Also, try different kind of encounters, too. Sometimes a change in pace can really change your players mood. Some R&R would be good too.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... the HWS knows that his blaster kicks butt when he has it ready, but once while he was infiltrating the imperial garrison, he wasn't allowed to carry it around, due to the fact that it would look strange having a storm trooper carrying that thing around. They got into combat there, and he wasn't liking it without his repeater... if it weren't the friendly fire grenade, the repeater would have torn apart anyone who came at em... hopefully he'll take enough time to repair the power cable going between the blaster and his backpack generator. If he gets that working, i'm confident they'll make it out safe and sound. Smile

I intend on sending the sniper out on more "sniper" style missions, but i want him to have a spotter. someone that can sneak as well as him, if not better.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If things go rough and your players are getting irritated, remind them that the game is war. It shouldn't be easy.

Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true, there is a reason why it's called the Urban War game Smile
but i don't expect them not to be able to do anything that i couldn't do with a character at their skill level

although i should probably take it easy on my n00bs... Confused

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, what does SNiPE think? does he think i set them against too overwhelming odds?

Obi-Wan Kenobi
SNiPE
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, We would have been fine, if our other PC's could think for themselves and not try to rely on me to tell them what to do. Also since they are noobs they dont get to thinking in depth about their character and surroundings and the possible side-effects of their actions. Man that FF nade really pissed me off. Funny thing too is my character is supposed to be the "green" sniper, but i am leading the others around like a Vet. That and i dont really like how when we play, the game centers around my actions and the other PC's usually end up as supporting roles to me. Specially since i am trying very hard to be a team player. So much so that it has gotten me close to death several times. Although i think it would have been ok to run an easier mission with the others just so they can pick up on the game quicker, and not get frustrated by getting pwnd by 2 royal guards in strom trooper rotation. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SNiPE
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, u know the sniper is gonna be Whistling the song while taking shots from the trench. 8)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my opinion... learn to "TRUST NO ONE!!!!" or "NO THING" Laughing

I meant besides your team. But do keep a close eye on them.

Last edited by Ragnar on Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
SNiPE
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnar wrote:
my opinion... learn to "TRUST NO ONE!!!!" or "NO THING" Laughing

OK my character is a member of a specfroce team! He has to Trust his follow members cause if he didnt it wouldn't be a very good team now would it!
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNiPE's right, military oriented games are based on teamwork, if the unit cannot function together, then they will fail...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: