The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Game balance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Game balance Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, SNiPE. I didn't think you were playing enough to consider yourself above newbie status. The MOG has answers for your delemas.

Crell, ease up man. SNiPE, take a leadership role if the team follows you so much. Learn to be the boss or die.

Right now I'm the new guy in the group so I know how the newbies feel, for once. I'm still a good roleplayer, but it's difficult playing under a MOG with a unique style of play. Teamwork is difficult with new people, especially when you are arbitrarily chosen as group spokesman. I have a 1337 character who would rather be alone and in control, like your sniper, but destiny has gathered allies around him and he must lead if he is to survive.

Bottom line, have a real talk with the group and decide each of your roles. Who will lead, who will follow and who can do both when needed.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think i need to ease up... i think they need to rise to the challenge and start thinking Razz this isn't hack and slash diablo

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember you're playing soldiers. Star Wars' fighters. Blasphemy! New players rely on good blaster rolls and killing foes before they get into character. It's sort of like a transitional phase. Their second characters should be more thought out once the violence is out of their systems.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing that gets kind of annoying is when your players want it to be exactly like a videogame...they don't want to roleplay, they just want to kill... I'm proud to say that the disgruntled stormtrooper is having fun in a more peaceful role as a young jedi student under the training of the Jedi Knight Durran Smile
I think once he realized that he couldn't be as godly as he thinks he plays in his videogames and that he actually has started getting into character, that the game is much more fun when it's not just hack n' slash... he had fun playing "Jedi Catch" with another student Smile

Jedi Catch is a game which has been devised by rathe (sorry for jacking the idea) where the two students play catch with a rubber ball about the size of a tennis ball, hell, you could call it a tennis ball if you wanted, and they sit down and they're not allowed to touch the ball, they must throw it using telekenesis and catch it doing the same thing, I figure it's a good way for them to get some training for their 1D alters. so they can raise 'em up Smile Laughing 8)

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi catch, well at least you gave me some credit. Remember, as Alter gets higher throw more balls in the air.

Yes, Jedi are fun. Remember to have Durran and the padawan go on some missions. Otherwise things might get boring.

Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

things would get hella boring if you never went on missions... i remember what it's like to just be training at the temple... Shocked
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they were doing that on the ship on the way to their first mission Smile

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im proud to say that the jedi i Gm for is a brilliant player he'll in general try and use some skill before he uses his force. he did set out to be the leader he has the highest persuassion. And let me tell you its really annoying when you've got a decent squirmish planned and his silver tounge keeps it from coming to bear. but it makes for great roleplaying which is most important. but no mater how hard he tries he still can't talk sweet enough to land Rivoche Tarkin, honest i have nothing to do with it! Wink
zarkempt
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: gamemasters Reply with quote

there is the line where the mission is to easy or way to tough, i as a player like to come back in one piece. However if we get to powerful we fear nothing.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rathe Ehtar wrote:
Some tasks are just imposible, though.

I know my players strengths, weaknesses and what they expect from me as MOG.

I know my players strengths, weaknesses but I keep them guessing as to what to expect of me as a MOG. what fun is there if you know that behind every door there are always 6 stormtroopers, I much enjoy keeping them living in fear of whats to come. Twisted Evil 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
That's true, there is a reason why it's called the Urban War game Smile
but i don't expect them not to be able to do anything that i couldn't do with a character at their skill level

although i should probably take it easy on my n00bs... Confused

If it's a War Game, better to put them thru the meat grinder as soon as possible to show them what war is like, Bloody, Intense, Fast Paced and Without Mercy. 8)

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that’s good drama.
And drama is the essence of a good story.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: gamemasters Reply with quote

zarkempt wrote:
there is the line where the mission is to easy or way to tough, i as a player like to come back in one piece. However if we get to powerful we fear nothing.

I like missions where you may be in one piece but your all scratched up, bruised and battered. It shows you really had to make an effort to come out alive. 8)

Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellstorm wrote:
Crell Damar wrote:
That's true, there is a reason why it's called the Urban War game Smile
but i don't expect them not to be able to do anything that i couldn't do with a character at their skill level

although i should probably take it easy on my n00bs... Confused

If it's a War Game, better to put them thru the meat grinder as soon as possible to show them what war is like, Bloody, Intense, Fast Paced and Without Mercy. 8)

at least someone compliments me showing little mercy Smile
thanks Very Happy

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I supposed to GM a WWII game in the near futur and casualties are expected to be high on the player's side so its not really about showing no mercy its about the reality of war. So I'm gonna have my players draw up second characters so they can jump in the fray as soon as possible with minimal time lost (the second caracters will be part of their units but wont see front line action). 8)

But...being cruel can be a little fun Twisted Evil 8)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: