The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How many PC have you kill? and what is the more funnier dead
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> How many PC have you kill? and what is the more funnier dead Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rexer
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play the "let the die roll and see what happens" philosophy as a Game Master but that doesn't always work the best. Sometimes the a characater gets picked on more than others. Besides, sometimes your players just need a break, or something to go their way. Other times, a character may need to be put in his place.

Mostly though I just go with the dice. Sometimes characters just bring it upon themselves. You aren't always the biggest, baddest, son-of-a b**** in the galaxy.
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
Reinforcements!? Did anybody see where they came from!?

LOL! Sweeeet... Very Happy

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there have been a few times where my Game master decided to let one of the PCs live, but he took his favorite blaster...

Personally, i woulda killed him, but the collector got what he came for

i suppose having the sniper shoot out one of the npcs is ok, but our group usually spots hidden guys, well, at least my cybered up guy does Very Happy

i don't think i've been caught unaware as of yet, but hey, there's always next session Smile
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't say I never fudge the combat dice rolls. I do. But the player's never see it. I tell them I don't to create a feeling of threat. I have maimed characters rather than killing them. Cybernetics and cloned parts get used a lot in my game. As does "Hey, stormtroopers roll sixes sometimes, too, you know". Sometimes characters are wounded with a hit right in the inertial locator/night vision goggles/datapad/whatever rather than killing them.

I'm also really heavy into the descriptions. A hit with zero damage becomes "You feel the impact of that shot! There's a smoking hole in your blast vest, but it has stopped the hit. You'll have to replace it as soon as possible. It won't stop another such shot." That's much cooler than "The stormtrooper rolls a three so you take no damage."

Needless to say in my game characters dive for cover far more than they dodge...and they MAINTAIN they armour.
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same thing sometimes, fudge the numbers without telling the characters. I also like the idea of having something they're carrying save them, but it gets destroyed. "The datapad in your pocket stopped the blaster bolt from killing you but it's fried. You're not sure if you'll be able to retrieve any information from it or not..." Very Happy

Another good trick to use is have a squad of stormtroopers who are actually Imperial Royal Guards currently assigned to their stormtrooper rotation. "Hey, do these stormtroopers ever miss???" "Well, these Imperial Royal Guards, er... I mean Stormtroopers, are pretty well-trained." Very Happy

Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not with 5D dexterity they wont Razz
sepherin
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of yesterday night i have killed my first PC. I play a Ranat (senor squeakums...long story)...anyway i follow this squib everywhere who struck a deal to rescue an informant from a detention center. We were in the middle of the detention center when a friend decided he wanted to play. So he came in as a prisoner duros. I shot a main control pannel and it sorta blew up on me (but unlucked the duros from the cell). Anyway i suffered damage and learned "Don't shoot things with buttons"...well this duros is a pilot so he is invited to join us as long as he gets us off of the planet (sorta a big bounty on our heads since my ranat doesn't exactly understand the concept of "security cameras" so he looks into them and plays with them...they have lots of pictures) Well I give the duros the blaster that i was carrying because, well i can't use a blaster very well. He found a main control pannel and botched a roll to open security doors, so instead they all close...well he failed to open them like 4 times in a row and we were trapped in a little room. He decided he was fed up and shot the control panel...botching the damage roll. I warn him not to do it again, but he still aims the gun at the panel so i try to take it from him. I grab it and manage to grapple it away, but he pulls the trigger wounding me, then he tries to jump on my head. I take it personally, roll out of the way. And make a bite at him. I only had 3D+2 str. I rolled to hit (5D+2 brawl so it was rather tough to miss) and had no problem, when i rolled damage i only got to roll 3D due to the wound. I rolled a 5, 5 and a wild 6, rolled 6 again, and again, then a 4 total of 34. The Duros had a str of 2...he rolled a 3, and a 2 on the wild... The gamemaster ruled that my fang went through his eye, and he died instantly...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation So, the team's sitting around in their favorite cantina telling jokes when the Jedi announces HE knows a joke. This takes the group by surprise since the Jedi has NEVER told a joke. It went like this:

What's the similarity between Imperial landing craft and beer cans?
[Making a beer can crushing motion in front of the group] You can crush them both in one hand! Bwaa-hah-hah-hah!

Some of the group laughed nervously. Some didn't get it. But the two most experienced players looked at each other in confusion, then one of them said to the other "I think we have a problem..."
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn jedi...
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow sepherin... 34 on 3D... gotta love that wild die! I had the exact opposite problem the last time I played. It seemed my wild die was stuck on 1 that night... Very Happy

Volar, that "Jedi joke" is awesome! Heh, heh, heh... Laughing

Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An actual role playing moment from one of our games:

Laughing A large group of bounty hunters had the team surrounded in an old stone house in the desert. The team's two soldiers were blasting away firing 5-7 times each round. The players were having a good time but the characters were hitting nothing. Meanwhile, the computer hacker (with no combat experience - or skills) aimed for one round then shot one of the bounty hunters. After six rounds the hacker has killed one and wounded two bounty hunters while the two soldiers had hit nothing! They did, however, notice the computer geek's sucess. That's when one of the soldiers grabbed the blaster pistol away from the hacker and inspected it. The two soldiers were inspecting this common weapon when one turned to the other and said "There must be something about this pistol..."
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-7 times? jack@$$*... no wonder they weren't hitting s***, what kinda blaster were they using?
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... firing 5-7 times each round... I'm picturing Hudson in Aliens when he starts to lose it... "YYYAAAGGGHHH!!! COME GET SOME!!!" Very Happy

Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Now you lay off my fellow Marine Hudson! If you watched carefully, you'll notice Hudson whined and kvetched the entire movie, but once the fighting started he was one of the most effective fighters in the group! He was mowing them down and laughing while he did it! Razz

Reminds me of when our team was given a mission briefing: There was a Rebel spy station on a barely habitable world called LV 426 that had stopped transmitting. The team was sent to investigate why. They were even given a spare transmitter in case that was the only problem. The director gave the name of the planet and everything! I guess the players weren't awake yet. Rolling Eyes

The players didn't figure it out until the xenomorphs were at short range and charging.

The only time I heard the Jedi whine "Who has a spare blaster? I need a blaster! Hey! That's not funny, man!"
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused I thought it curious that the bounty hunters on the team - who always carry multiple weapons - suddenly didn't have one to spare for one of their comrades who didn't normally carry a blaster. But there is something terrifying about the xenomorphs, isn't there? I supposed the players realized if those things closed to hand to hand, the team was done for.

Idea The Jedi, after a moment of panic, moved to the center of the group and used receptive telepathy on the xenomorphs in an attempt to understand them. A little while later, when the team was hit by the xenomorph's second charge, he was not in the center of the group. When charged by three of the monsters, he used projective telepathy (with a willpower roll) to convince them he was one of them. A good time to use a force point, yes? After one round of looking him up and down, they ran past him and charged the team.

When the bounty hunters wailed there were too many of them, the Jedi yelled at them "I'd like to help, but I don't have a blaster!"

Half the team perished, but they did rescue the few survivors who were hiding in the base machine shop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: