The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Life Detection
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Life Detection Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Life Detection Reply with quote

Ever since my group started playing a Jedi campaign, we found that this power failed completely to capture what we've seen in the movies and what we know about Jedis. So we've decided to make a new version of it.

First of all, I don't see why this power should detect only sentient beings, if it's "life detection" then it should detect any form of life, like beasts or even large concentrations of plants in an otherwise barren region.

Second, the range is all wrong. The original power only works in a 10 meters radius, and that's just way too restricted. I propose a ranges system with different difficulties encompassing larger range radius. Something like:

Very Easy - 5 meters radius
Easy - 10 meters radius
Moderate - 20 meters radius
Difficult - 50 meters radius
Very Difficult - 100 meters radius
Heroic - 200 meters radius

+5 for each additional 500 meters radius increase

Additionaly, the Jedi can choose to center his search on a spot away from him. Say he wants to sense the inside of a hut across the river, he would then apply a distance modifier to his difficulty. Something like:

+5 for each 20 meters of distance to the detection radius' center.

So searching the inside of a 20 meters wide hut that's 40 meters away would have a difficulty of Easy+10.

A Force Sensitive target can choose to add his Control to the difficulty, but a non-Force sensitive can't add his Perception, since he can't mask his own life's Force signature.

The power can be used actively, making a momentary "scan" of the surroundings, or passively, keeping the power up as a warning system. If the power is kept up, then the Jedi is at a constant -1D due to MAPs, and if anything enters his detection radius, he's aware of it. When rolling the power, the Jedi can chose what range he's trying to sense, or he can roll and see how far he goes. The advantage of restricting your range is to have some extra sucess points in case you're trying to sense a traget that resists with the Force.

Also, the power is not "Modified by Relationship", since all you're detecting is life, not identity.

All the effects of beating the difficulty by 10 or more points from the old power still apply.

So, what do you think of it? Questions, suggestions?
noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use something similar, based on common sense mostly.

You may fire when ready
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like most of it. I'm not so keen on being able to set the center away from the body, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. For a similar kind of idea, perhaps allow the Jedi to focus on a specific direction, making a cone/line effect sort of thing with a greater range and directionality directionality, allowing searching of specific locations while still maintaining the origin at the Jedi??
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about that. The initial idea was to sort of copy the Sensors system, with Scan, Search, Focus mode, etc. But that would be too cumbersome for a system that should be easy and quick to use.

But I don't think it makes no sense to move the center away from the Jedi. It's like when you're analizing a building in the distance. When you focus on it, absorbing all its details, you see very little of what's around you, all your vision is focused on that spot.

And anyway, this system won't allow you to move the center very far away from you. A capable Jedi should be able to move the center no more than 100 meters.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100m isn't too bad. It only takes about a minute to walk that (in the woods).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
I like most of it. I'm not so keen on being able to set the center away from the body, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. For a similar kind of idea, perhaps allow the Jedi to focus on a specific direction, making a cone/line effect sort of thing with a greater range and directionality directionality, allowing searching of specific locations while still maintaining the origin at the Jedi??

Agreed.

As a sideline, do you require the jedi having it up havig to hold out a hand or some other 'indicator' that he is "SCANNING" the area with it?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't require gestures for using Force Powers. I think of it like a mental focus, necessary to help visualize early on, but unnecessary later... more like a habit than a requirement. I have occasionally used a +5 modifier for not using gestures though, for not using the focus method.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the gesture being helpful in Telekinesis and perhaps Affect Mind, but not for Life Detection. Basically because that's what we see in the movies.
OtterJethro
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree with the gestures. Maybe a younger guy would need to shut his eyes for a life detection but i agree that he wouldn't need it so much for sense. I tend to think they add it in the movies partly for dramitical effect more than anything. Although when they do talk about disturbances or sensing things, they just do without moving or anything.

We do have a modifier where if he kneels down and meditates, it does get easier over time and and such. I mean, if I sit and meditate for a couple hours, I will be able to notice and locate more things, but I would be vulnerable.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the principle. However, I think the ranges are a bit much. +5 for an additional 200 meters? I might even back down the Heroic to 150 or 175 meters, and a +5 for additional 50 meters.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I like the principle. However, I think the ranges are a bit much. +5 for an additional 200 meters? I might even back down the Heroic to 150 or 175 meters, and a +5 for additional 50 meters.

Umm Gry said +5 for an additional 20m not 200m

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Life Detection Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Second, the range is all wrong. The original power only works in a 10 meters radius, and that's just way too restricted. I propose a ranges system with different difficulties encompassing larger range radius. Something like:

Very Easy - 5 meters radius
Easy - 10 meters radius
Moderate - 20 meters radius
Difficult - 50 meters radius
Very Difficult - 100 meters radius
Heroic - 200 meters radius

+5 for each additional 500 meters radius increase

The last part seems a bit high to me too, actually. +5 per 100m radius increase seems more reasonable; even 100m added on to radius is a huge increase in area covered; think of it this way, the increase in the area covered would be [(pi(r2)^2) - (pi(r1)^2)]; with r1 being the radius at whatever increment is below your target, and r2 is the target radius; if you do it for a couple increasing levels, the area covered by each increase goes up pretty significantly even at 100m increments; at .5km increments, it seems a little bit huge Razz
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, you can tell who the math geeks are around here. Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

I also agre the ranges are a little to high..

Hows about make it

10M/V.Easy
20M/Easy
30M/Mod
40M/Diff
50M/V.diff
60M/Heroic..
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
nice, you can tell who the math geeks are around here. Smile

I'm a bio geek... math isn't my forte, but I need to use it Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: