The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Conversions - Starships of the Galaxy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Conversions - Starships of the Galaxy Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Conversions - Starships of the Galaxy Reply with quote

[Note: This threat used to be called "New Fanbook Idea" though I changed it to fit with the rest of the conversion book threats, as to make it easier to find. Edited 7-20-09]

Gry has done some really great books with the aliens, weapons, equipment, force powers, starships, etc. The books are pretty well definitive for Star Wars RPG before Saga edition.

However, now that Saga is coming out with new sourcebooks (Starships of the Galaxy, and Force Unleashed Campaign guide will be out this year), it's a good idea to keep up with the conversions.

I'm suggesting that we do an anual conversion guide. It will essentially be a sourcebook for everything that that's new to the RPG for that year. The chapters will correspond to the stat books that already exist, so we'll have a chapter on the force, a chapter on droids, and chapter on starships, and so on.

I'm willing to put in the effort to doing at least the Force section of the books. I've got the Saga Edition and I've already looked at new Force talents, feats, and powers. I've also had some work trying to convert weapons, so I can at least help there too.

Would anyone else be willing to contribute to the effort?

Last edited by cheshire on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. I can even help out with getting information straight from the Saga Book now, if anyone needs it.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can host the final product, and can work with editing, and putting the information together. I dont have any of the books, or experience converting, but i can help with the organization of the project.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
I can host the final product, and can work with editing, and putting the information together. I dont have any of the books, or experience converting, but i can help with the organization of the project.

Or you can buy us the new books! Smile
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, arent you the university prof. im the university student. i think you win in liquid cash Wink

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Fanbook idea Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Gry has done some really great books with the aliens, weapons, equipment, force powers, starships, etc. The books are pretty well definitive for Star Wars RPG before Saga edition.

However, now that Saga is coming out with new sourcebooks (Starships of the Galaxy, and Force Unleashed Campaign guide will be out this year), it's a good idea to keep up with the conversions.

I'm suggesting that we do an anual conversion guide. It will essentially be a sourcebook for everything that that's new to the RPG for that year. The chapters will correspond to the stat books that already exist, so we'll have a chapter on the force, a chapter on droids, and chapter on starships, and so on.

I'm willing to put in the effort to doing at least the Force section of the books. I've got the Saga Edition and I've already looked at new Force talents, feats, and powers. I've also had some work trying to convert weapons, so I can at least help there too.

Would anyone else be willing to contribute to the effort?
For what it's worth I think it's a great idea and I think we can pick up where the Rebellion D6 Convesion Site left off (it's been a LOOOOOOGGG time since it's been updated Sad ) Very Happy , but sadly I'm not one you should ask for help though doing the conversions. Embarassed Crying or Very sad Hey here's Idea. How about also doing a fan made Planets Collection/Sector type books with New Alien Species/Worlds/Vehicles & Ships/Gear and aventure hooks: I might be able to help with that (I have an Active Imagination), though I don't know squat about about MS Word formatting or making PDFs, I could come up with settings and Ideas (And I don't mind if they're eddited a bit). Any thing to keep SW RPGing alive. Razz
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually sounds like a great idea. I was all over the idea of the Rebellion D6 Conversion site. And this could be like a book version of that.

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be a handy little thing to keep on hand. has any one here had any interest in the rules companion suggested a while a go? (i've tried to work on it in my free time but i haven't gotten very far)
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
lol, arent you the university prof. im the university student. i think you win in liquid cash Wink

Tales of the adjunct paycheck have been greatly exaggerated.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double, and thanks for the encouragement. But I'm wondering, how many people would actually be able to help convert?
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By true statistics or by common sense? After all, some things don't convert by mechanics alone. I can help when I get the books and resources. But it will not be for a bit as I have a one month old to contend with right now.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xynar wrote:
By true statistics or by common sense? After all, some things don't convert by mechanics alone. I can help when I get the books and resources. But it will not be for a bit as I have a one month old to contend with right now.

I don't think that you can properly convert things unles you use both mechanics and common sense. Especially with the new Saga rules, converting is going to be an inexact science. So long as things are consistent, I think that's going to be important. I think it would be good if we had at least two people working on any given section so there is some peer review. But that's just my opinion. When we were doing conversions and fan submissions for the Force powers book there was a LOT of collaboration between members here. We came up with some really good stuff too.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had already talked to Cheshire about this, and I think it's a great idea. If would be like an anual supplement for my Stats books that are already out there, and certainly already outdated in many instances.

However, I don't think we should just limit ourselves to converting the new Saga Edition stats. Sure, that should be part of it, but there's room for more. There are many additions to the Star Wars universe being created all the time, that don't get included in the d20 books, and we should include those as well, as fan-made stats to official items. When making the Stats books there were many instances of items (mainly from Ep3 but also from other major EU sources) that weren't statted anywhere and simply HAD to be included somehow, so I went ahead, gathered all the knowledge I could on said item and came up with original stats for that.

Summing up, anything not already included in the Stats books should be game (and even some things incorrectly statted in those books could be amended).
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started a little bit of work on converting starfighters. It's uphill work, but I'm starting to get a basis for a ballpark figure. I'm afraid that I won't be able to produce hard and fast rules like Gary Asleford. But once I've got a reasonable system, I'll go ahead and post it here.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that I just realized would be a great addition, would be detailed rules concerning R2's and mid flight repairs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: