The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

WEG Star Warriors
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> WEG Star Warriors Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: WEG Star Warriors Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I recently acquired a boxed set of WEG's Star Warriors, but I don't really have much use for it. I figured I'd offer it for sale here, before going to eBay.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it, exactly?
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the West End starfighter combat game.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/3593
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...looks interesting but not exactly my thing. Good luck with the sale though. Wink
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, lots of fun stuff on boardgamegeek.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Star Wars Rules Companion (first edition), had rules for using Star Warriors in RPG games. It's great for handling large-scale fleet battles in a short amount of time, & scales up the lethality of Starship combat! Try it if you haven't yet. Wink
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Star Warriors, a great way to simulate space combat. I /used/ to own this, but have no idea where it is now. Were you able to successfully sell the game? I'd be interested if reasonably priced. Email me shnar@hotmail.com Smile

-shnar
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I sold it a while ago.
ziltmilt
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on something so that you don't actually need a physical copy of the game to play this.

I'm building an application in MS Excel to track all of the actions and variables for every ship in play. And, in lieu of a gameboard, you can use a VTT tool (like Maptool ... the best freeware VTT imo).

This thing is fast and takes so much work out of playing this game.
hanker
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be great! Smile

René
ziltmilt
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten a little farther on this ... i was sidetracked quite a bit by the holidays.

I'm adding in functionality to handle the rules for turrets, projectile weapons (proton torpedoes, etc) and asteroids. I'm leaving capital ships for a later update.

The official rules only supply mini's and rules for Star Destroyers, but I think the game could be expanded to include any capital ship. You guys got any thoughts on how to alter the game somewhat to showcase other ships?

My initial guess would be to give capital ships a range of Structure Points, from 1 to 8 (1 being like a Corellian Corvette and 8 being a Star Destroyer).
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would the structure points work? I've played Star Warriors, but it has been a while.
ziltmilt
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfighters in the game have Body Points, which are like hit points for ship. When a ship is damaged, the damage can affect various systems, including reducing Body Points, but damage may also include things like losing shields, engine damage, gun damage, etc.

By contrast, Star Destroyers have 8 'Structure Points'. If a starfighter can inflict 2 or more Body Points of damage in an attack, the SD loses 1 Structure Point. In addition, if the damage roll was a natural 12, then a vital system may have been affected, so you roll on another chart, which has a list of effects ranging from 'No Effect' to loss in speed to being destroyed via a chain reaction.

If a SD loses its 8th SP, it's dead in space and can no longer fire at other ships. Until then, it can fire once per fighter in range and against up to 1 opposing SD.

When Star Destroyers attack another SD, they roll 1 die per remaining SP, reducing the opposing ships SP's by 1 for each result of '6'.

So ... it seems pretty simple to take these existing rules and apply them for any capital ship. Just say that a Corvette-sized ship has 1 SP, or a Super SD has 56 SP's or a Death Star has 800 SP's. I'm kidding on that last one ... I don't think you'd want to introduce a Death Star, but you know, maybe a Torpedo Sphere would be pretty cool to see.

It might be workable to also introduce a few more options as far as firing arcs and shields for capital ships. Maybe not though .. KISS is usually a good principle to adhere to. And Star Warriors is complicated enough.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does sound pretty simple and straightforward.

Do shields come into play for Capital ships? I only ask as it seems to always be the goal of starfighters to lower the enemy capital ship shields.
ziltmilt
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question ... yes, there are rules for shields, but this would probably need some modification to apply to other capital ships.

If a SD has taken 6 of less SPs of damage (if it has at least 2 SPs), then it's got shields. The shield rating is (6 - SP damage it sustained). So, at the start of combat a SD has shields of 6; if it's taken 1 SP damage, its shields are 5, etc.

To determine if and how much body points a fighter inflicts on a SD, Star Warriors has a 'Fire Table' that is referenced upon any successful attack. You roll 2d6 on it and the higher the roll, the deadlier the attack. With higher rolls, you can do 2 or more Body Points of damage, in addition to other nasty things like gun damage, etc. But, you need to roll at least a 10 to do 2 body points of dmg.

However, if you're using projectiles (proton torp., etc), you roll either 2d6, 3d6 or 4d6, and instead of referencing a 'Fire Table', the roll is completely body damage.

The shield rating is subtracted from this damage roll, whether you're using a ship gun or projectiles. So, at least at the start of combat, a star fighter's only chance of hurting a SD is with projectile weapons.

So, having said all that ... perhaps a simple formula is that a captital ship's shield rating is at least 1 and is 3/4 of its SPs. How does that sound?

Now I'm getting really curious what a mass combat would be like w/ an array of capital ships and a Super SD thrown into the mix!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: