The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Firearms Ranges
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Firearms Ranges Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Firearms Ranges Reply with quote

Anyone knowledgeable enough about firearms to help with some (accurately depicted) ranging stats for real-life "slugthrowers" in the game? Half my players in the game I'm running are using slugthrowers, and the ones in the rulebook just aren't going to cut it. I've got damages worked out for several calibers, I just need ranges to go with them (based on average barrel lengths; obviously drastically longer or shorter barrels affect the range some).
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know enough about guns off the top of my head, but you could search for several types of guns on Wikipedia to find out. For instance, the M1911 Colt 45 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_Colt_pistol) and the M1 Garand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Garand_rifle) both have all kinds of stats, including ranges, on the sidebars of their wiki pages. Those being some of the finest weapons ever constructed, in my opinion, I'd start there.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've pretty much exhausted the resources of Wikipedia. They list effective ranges for several weapons, but that only makes up about 1/3 of the cartridges that I figured would be in use in the Star Wars galaxy. Thanks though.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what i have for effective use of firearms..

Small pistols: 15/30/50
Heavy pistols: 3-20/40/70
Normal hunting rifles (302): 5-100/200/300
Shotgun: 5/15/25 with a blast cone of 1/2/4
SMG: 3-25/50/80
Assault rifle: 10-80/160/250
Light machine guns (SAW): 10-100/200/400
Medium machine guns: 10-150/300/450
Heavy machine guns: 10-150/300/500
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Firearms Ranges Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
Anyone knowledgeable enough about firearms to help with some (accurately depicted) ranging stats for real-life "slugthrowers" in the game? Half my players in the game I'm running are using slugthrowers, and the ones in the rulebook just aren't going to cut it. I've got damages worked out for several calibers, I just need ranges to go with them (based on average barrel lengths; obviously drastically longer or shorter barrels affect the range some).

I stumbled across a firearms supplement, not sure who made it, but it would probably answer your questions and then some Smile

http://vong.unbrokenfellowship.com/fanmade/Firearms%20Supplement.pdf

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Eiren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about that supplement, some of the damages listed seems a bit off. I'm no rocket scientist when it comes to firearms, but I know enough to be able to see that.

Unfortunately however, I don't have anything else to provide the OP that's useful but I'll see if I can dig something up.

Troops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO6rqAJ3mGc
Eiren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've spent some time looking through some old books and checking out a variety of firearms specs websites and I actually find quite a bit of conflicting data.

For example: Website A lists the max effective range of a .45 automatic pistol as 50m and website B lists the same pistol at 100m.

I have a few friends of mine who are ex-military and quite knowledgable about various firearms from around the world though as well as knowledgable about D6 Star Wars (they were in our old SW gaming group). When I get time I'm gonna start compiling data with them as well as from the resources I have at home and the websites I've been browsing to put together a basic firearms guide for the Star Wars galaxy similar to the one Vong posted.

If anyone is interested, I'll post here when I'm done with it and I can email it to anyone who wants it.

noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do so, i always thought the firearms damage was really off.

You may fire when ready
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what i have for the damages of firearms.

Small/medium pistols (eg .38 snubnose) 3d+2
Heavy pistol (eg 44 magnum) 4d
Rifles (eg .303) 4d+1
Shotguns - scatter shot 5d+2/4d+1/3d with a blast range of 5/15/25 and a blast cone of 1/2/4
- solid slug inc to 6d/5d/4d with range of 15/25/35
If double barrel add 1d

SMG - 4d base, add 1d for burst fire
Assault rifle (eg m-16) 5d+1
Light machine gun 5d+1
Medium machine gum 5d+2
Heavy 6d
ARs and LMGs add 1d for burst fire, medium adds 1d+1 for burst fire and HMGs add 1d+2 for burst fire.
Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiren wrote:
I'm not sure about that supplement, some of the damages listed seems a bit off. I'm no rocket scientist when it comes to firearms, but I know enough to be able to see that.

If the damages in the Firearms Supplement seem off, you can blame the author for trying to keep in line with WEG.
When compliling the supplement I used damage codes from official WEG slugthrowers as a guide.

As for ranges, I researched this fairly well, using my own firearms knowledge as well as from firearms forums where my knowledge was lacking. The ranges in the supplement are "effective" for an average firearm using good ammunition by an average shooter.
Eiren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liam (Gunman) Kissane wrote:
If the damages in the Firearms Supplement seem off, you can blame the author for trying to keep in line with WEG.
When compliling the supplement I used damage codes from official WEG slugthrowers as a guide.

As for ranges, I researched this fairly well, using my own firearms knowledge as well as from firearms forums where my knowledge was lacking. The ranges in the supplement are "effective" for an average firearm using good ammunition by an average shooter.

I didn't mean any offense and I hope you didn't take any. I appreciate the work done on the guide, I just think it could use a little refinement.

I have had a couple discussions with some friends of mine about it and converting modern day firearms to the SW RPG and keeping the "aura" of the Star Wars universe intact is proving to be tricky.

We're continuing to work on a guide though and kicking around some ideas and hopefully will have something done soon.

Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence taken.
I've been shot down a heck of a lot more just for putting the thing together in the first place (but darn it - I just wanted to have a cool character that uses firearms).

Eiren - I'm happy to work with you in working on a firearms guide.
Eiren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liam (Gunman) Kissane wrote:
Eiren - I'm happy to work with you in working on a firearms guide.

Sweet Smile

I'll shoot you another PM within the next couple days with some of the info/ideas we've gathered/kicked around so far.

Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the posts on this, guys. Sorry I haven't responded lately, I was out of the state for a weekend and then out of the country for a week immediately after that.

I had in fact read the aforementioned PDF, but found that I didn't agree with a lot of it (no offense!). But then, I don't think I've agreed with a single thing WEG put into print about slugthrowers, so the PDF was definitely a step up from that.

Anything you guys come up with I would really like to be involved in; I've come up with a lot of stuff on my own (caliber damages, modifiers for different types of ammo, as well as a whole separate workup for shotguns). Basically I tried to stick to the most popular calibers for coming up with damages, and you really can't get overly technical with a system measured in pips with three to a "D". The "range" issue is where things get really nebulous, simply because of the nature of the projectiles and physics.

If anyone wants to see the (admittedly rough) stuff that I've worked up, let me know. The main reason I started trying to figure all this out is that I just started a PbP campaign and two of my five PCs are using slugthrowers (a Dresselian and a Tough Native template). Looking over the WEG slugthrower material, I realized I didn't agree with any of it. So it began. Very Happy
Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence taken Matthias,

I have PM-ed you my edress. I would like to see what you have to contribute.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: