The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Really Cool X-Wing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Really Cool X-Wing Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Really Cool X-Wing Reply with quote

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/star-wars/rocket+powered-21+foot-long-x+wing-model-actually-flies-305976.php

Its an x-wing rocket, which flies. how cool can you get Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so awesome!

I hope they you tube the flight

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those who were looking foward to the launch, head back to the site, and click the link to view the launch. it was a good 2.5 min watch Wink

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Really Cool X-Wing Reply with quote

vong wrote:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/star-wars/rocket+powered-21+foot-long-x+wing-model-actually-flies-305976.php

Its an x-wing rocket, which flies. how cool can you get Smile

I've already flown two X-wing rockets, though admittedly they weren't that big. M engines? Means someone's got a liscence. Don't recall exactly what's the largest size rocket engine you can purchase without getting a liscence, last I knew for sure it was a D but I'm not sure if it went up to an E, but I do know the Ms should require it.

Wanted Poster
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KATO. Big time. Very Happy

Wanted Poster
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it's the same X-Wing model, but it didn't go over very well for these guys.

http://www.break.com/index/x-wing-model-launch-fails.html

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep same x-wing. Just from a different camera

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised it crashed. It's not really a shape conducive to a rocket style launch. Now, if they could design one with wings that could fly the way it should, it'd be great to see someone take one up in a plane or helicopter and do a lateral launch, just to see it fly straight for a while powered by the rocket engines.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem seems more that they needed to reinforce the wings and add some stabilizers. And there may have been an issue with balance They seem to have been relying too heavily on the S-foils to stabilizethe rocket in flight, and they did keep a somewhat straight flight. But again there seems a balance problemas the KATO seems to happen shortly after launch when the rocket starts tiping over. At which point the lower S-foils start to drop soon followed by the upper pair. Judging from how long it took until the upper pair started falling, it almost looks as if internal braces for the lower pair took out those for the upper pair when the lower pair wer nearly perpindicular to the body. Then when the upper pair started to drop, the rocket flew apart in a very spectacular KATO.

Had the design been different, it might have actually reached parachute ejection altitude. And we can tell they planned to recover it via parachute as we can see one or two as the pieces are crashing back down.

Wanted Poster
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
The problem seems more that they needed to reinforce the wings and add some stabilizers. And there may have been an issue with balance They seem to have been relying too heavily on the S-foils to stabilizethe rocket in flight, and they did keep a somewhat straight flight. But again there seems a balance problemas the KATO seems to happen shortly after launch when the rocket starts tiping over. At which point the lower S-foils start to drop soon followed by the upper pair. Judging from how long it took until the upper pair started falling, it almost looks as if internal braces for the lower pair took out those for the upper pair when the lower pair wer nearly perpindicular to the body. Then when the upper pair started to drop, the rocket flew apart in a very spectacular KATO.

Had the design been different, it might have actually reached parachute ejection altitude. And we can tell they planned to recover it via parachute as we can see one or two as the pieces are crashing back down.

It sounds like someone has done this before Wink. But then again, I have not done it before, but I did recognize these flaws. Given some extra money lying around, I think that would be quite the project to try out Smile

Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well it still looked freakin SWEET!!!
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Yeah, well it still looked freakin SWEET!!!

the first few seconds of burn, (In the words of Jim Carry) "B-E-AAAA-UTIFUL"

Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
Hellcat wrote:

It sounds like someone has done this before Wink. But then again, I have not done it before, but I did recognize these flaws. Given some extra money lying around, I think that would be quite the project to try out Smile

Not at that level. I've built and my share of model rockets, but I never got to the point where I went after a liscence. The kind of model rockets you can buy at a typical toy store or some place like Wal-mart don't require that you get a liscence to be able to purchase and operate engines like what they were using. But you do get an idea what it's like for these folks.

I've had a rocket corkscrew on launch cause I didn't put on the stabilizing fin properly. That same rocket ended up slamming into the ground for a reason I don't recall at this time (think one of the fins actually fell off at the moment of launch which led to that disgusting result). Another rocket had the gimmick of a helicopter recovery system, and on like it's third flight it arched over too soon so that when the ejection charge blew it blew off the nose cone. Most of my launches have been on B and C motors. Launched a couple Estes X-wing rockets, one on a C with parachute recovery the over on a micro engine with tumble recovery.

10th grade one of the projects we did for physical science was to build and launch model rockets. I was one of only two kids who were allowed to bring in our own rockets and we got to help other build theirs since we both knew what we were doing. 12th grade my science teacher let me experiment with making solid rocket propellant based on something I'd read in an issue of Air and Space (awsome stuff too as with a cardboard nozzle it cracked the peitry dish I was testing the stuff in in two, just too bad it never really worked to propel anything). At one time I even wanted to try and figure out how to get a model rocket to break the sound barrier using Ds (now I know folks do so but with bigger engines).

Wanted Poster
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some ambitious stuff, HC. Sounds like it'd have been fun.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ambitious? Breaking the speed of sound on Ds? Probably not possible, but I do know it is possible for more advanced model rockets to break the sound barrier.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: