The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars: The Educational Tool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Star Wars: The Educational Tool Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eiren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Star Wars: The Educational Tool Reply with quote

I have a 10 yo nephew who is a big star wars fan. He loves the movies, has a huge collection of Star Wars books he has read, loves the video games etc. He's a really good kid.

My sister has talked to me several times over the past 4 years or so about my nephews social development. He is VERY shy and quiet even around people he knows. He generally will not speak unless spoken to; even if there is something he wants or needs he generally puts off initiating talking until he absolutely cannot wait anymore.

Well after our last talk we decided that me, her, my nephew and my GF would all start a Star Wars RPG together to play once every other week or possibly every week depending. The idea is to use the RPG to get him more comfortable with being social and help develop his social skills. I mean, the kid loves Star Wars and he loves the idea of RPG's (we've talked alot about the games before) so we're hoping that we can use the game as a tool to help draw him out of his shell.

Of course I've decided to bring the game down to a 10 yo's level a bit. Instead of "killing" a stormtrooper with a well placed blaster shot and a big damage roll we'll say "you defeated the stormtrooper." Instead of correlian rum and lum and rotgut in the Cantina he will find corellian cola, kashyyk root beer and sunrise soda. lol

I'm really interested to see how this is going to turn out. I know alot of corporations use roleplaying to teach management trainees how to deal with certain types of situations and I know we use it at my job to help train field agents how to talk to potential clients. There is more also than just social skills that I'm hoping he can pick up on through the game. If done properly it could help with decision making skills, basic math and science skills, and alot of other things.

I just thought it was a neat idea and thought I'd share it with yall. I'll let you know how it goes. Smile

Troops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO6rqAJ3mGc
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a truly great isea, Eiren! And your nephew is lucky to have such a loving family that cares about him and want to engage in this regular activity.

I agree that a good RPG game can help develop some social skills, as well as entice his creativity and even some acting skills. And if nothing else, it will be an opportunity for some healthy family bonding, which I see lacking in so many kids these days...
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Gry Smile. This is a cool idea. I should use this angle when trying to get my kid (future kid) to RP Wink

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea all around. Perhaps my wife and I can do this with our daughter when she gets older... though she shows no signs of having difficulty socializing; she's far more social/outgoing than either of us, and is only 5 Razz

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be something to try with my son... once he stops thinking dice are for eating Laughing

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that may take a while. i'm 27 and i still eat my dice.
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Good Idea Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea! I'm currently trying to get my 12 year old daughter interested in playing Star Wars RPG, D6 of course! I was so stoked when she asked if she could play... we even created two characters for her, a Young Senatorial and her Protocol Droid companion. I just haven't had the time to create an adventure for her yet! I've been busy at work getting ready for a deployment!

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have her go through a solitary adventure with you as a guide to make sure she understands the rules. At least you can get her started this way.
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Any ideas Reply with quote

Any great solitary adventures out there... more home-brewed, the WEG materials kinda limited.

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I agree that a good RPG game can help develop some social skills, as well as entice his creativity and even some acting skills. And if nothing else, it will be an opportunity for some healthy family bonding, which I see lacking in so many kids these days...

Back in ET A school, that was one of the benefits i used when i made the Point paper up to get teh upper chain of command to sign off on allowing me to use MWR facilities and funds to set up a RPG club..

heck one of those who joined up, went into public speaking after he got done with his 4 yr tour.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that it's great to get youngsters involved in role playing. As I get older I tend to become more retrospective about my life, and I'm constantly amazed at what a smart choice I made at such an early age to get into RPGs.

The typical RPG gamer that I've always known in my life is a great person. They typically don't do drugs, don't get into fights, don't have trouble with the law, are respectful, outgoing, and very smart. Of course there are as many different types of gamers as there are people, but in general I've found gamers are pretty nice people.

And, I have learned SO MUCH from gaming! I could never even list all the things I've learned. Rolling dice and adding up the bonuses/penalties ect really improve your math skills because you do it quickly and on the fly. Figuring out game rules and the usual charts and tables helps you with cognitive ability. During gaming, figuring out the best solution to whatever challenges your character faces improves your problem solving skills, and it actually helps you make tough decisions in your real life when you can relate them to a game situation. Plus I've learned about all kinds of domesticated animals, wild animals, the weather, climates, geography, history, ecology, ballistics, measurments and a list so long it would bore the pants off of you. Plus you also learn more philosophic things like the value of life, the spirit of adventure, the worth of a person not being decided by what they look like or what language they speak or what religion they practice. Man there is so much to learn in the world, and gaming provides a FUN way to learn it!

So I hope your nephew enjoys gaming as much as we do. It could set a course for his life that will be with him forever, and maybe some day he will post on a forum about how glad he is that he got into gaming.

Scott
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott2978 wrote:
The typical RPG gamer that I've always known in my life is a great person. They typically don't do drugs, don't get into fights, don't have trouble with the law, are respectful, outgoing, and very smart. Of course there are as many different types of gamers as there are people, but in general I've found gamers are pretty nice people.

Scott

Boy the gamers here in australia would really shock you then. They are nearly all drinking and a good 25% of the ones I know do drugs.

But everything is spot on. Their social skills are excellent, math, history, physics, chemistry etc are very high.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orgaloth wrote:
scott2978 wrote:

Scott

Boy the gamers here in australia would really shock you then. They are nearly all drinking and a good 25% of the ones I know do drugs.

But everything is spot on. Their social skills are excellent, math, history, physics, chemistry etc are very high.

Heh.. He didn't say they didn't have bad habits... just that they were nice people - socially adept and intelligent. I've known complete drunks and stoners who were awesome gamers... and really nice people. Very Happy Very open and accepting, and smarter than your average bear. Very Happy
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsiberDragon wrote:
Very open and accepting, and smarter than your average bear. Very Happy

...Or is that smarter than your average beer?

hehehe Razz
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously Skyler didnt have any help as a child Razz

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: