The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

rancor player characters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> rancor player characters Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: rancor player characters Reply with quote

ok i have a new player entering one of my games and he wants to play a dathomirian rancor. (i let him look at gry's aliens book... bad move on my part) i have stipulated that he had better come up with one hell of a good back story before i allow this, but i have a question. what do i do with the extra 1D+1 attribute dice? the rancor has 14 attribute dice with the +6D gained from being a player character that leaves extra dice. the player has no interest in becoming a jedi or even being force sensitive. so where should he place the dice? i'm thinking of increasing the mech attribute.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you could just rule that rancor PCs don't get a bonus 6 dice because of all the other advantages they get.

Otherwise I'd be tempted to shove it in knowledges as I can't see a rancor ever using mechanical skills.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, cant say id allow a rancor as a PC. ask him to find something other the Norghi Wink

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, since it seems I'm partially to blame for this, here's my feedback.

First off, the Dathomirian Rancor is HIGHLY unrecommended as a player species. It's in the book because, well, because WEG did it. But you can read on some other thread around here a discussion where everybody made it pretty clear that it's nigh impossible to keep a serious, balanced campaign going with a rancor player character.

Second, it's your campaign, your rules. Just because your player found the species in my book, it doesn't mean he can play it. That's entirely up to you, and you shouldn't feel the tiniest bit bad about saying flat out NO.

Then, if he DOES play a rancor, he should know there are consequences to being a giant monster. People will flee screaming at the sight of him. Local authorities and big-game hunters will be constantly after him. He won't fit anywhere. Etc, etc, etc...

Finally, as a PC, the Dathomirian Rancor does have 1D+1 extra dice beyong the species maximum. I guess you can simply discard those, he already has dice to spare.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...

That REALLY goes back to the topic of "Large Characters"...

How DOES Fluffy get around the galaxy, anyway???
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluffy is the "Cargomaster" of a Ghtroc Industries Empress-class Super Freighter named "The Grey Barn", a former Pocket Starfighter Carrier.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While my first inclination is to give anything a try, it really seems unplayable as a PC.

however...

What about letting your player roll up the rancor as a PET for a real player character? He could then role play the Rancor when in suitable situations and play his "normal" character the rest of the time.
Lor-Pbk
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott2978 wrote:
While my first inclination is to give anything a try, it really seems unplayable as a PC.

however...

What about letting your player roll up the rancor as a PET for a real player character? He could then role play the Rancor when in suitable situations and play his "normal" character the rest of the time.

well... why not? but imagine crossing someone with a white tiger in the street. Do you really only think "what a nice pet"...

This kind of circus pet can't match with normal life in cities of SW. That means the rancor character will be oblige to stay in the large cargo area of a correlian action IV freighter... It's not very amazing.

I personally think the player will quickly be feed up with his/her rancor.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in most areas, a Wookiee would be considered a "Pet", and an odd one at that.

And as much as I doubt Chewie would like a Collar, I'm willing to bet Fluffy and his Kin would hate it even more!

Fluffy gets lots of looks, indeed, but he has all his papers (He passed the New Republic Citizen Test, albet barely) and the force of weight behind any arguements with Animal Control.

They give him issues, he sits on their van.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:

First off, the Dathomirian Rancor is HIGHLY unrecommended as a player species. It's in the book because, well, because WEG did it. But you can read on some other thread around here a discussion where everybody made it pretty clear that it's nigh impossible to keep a serious, balanced campaign going with a rancor player character.

Second, it's your campaign, your rules. Just because your player found the species in my book, it doesn't mean he can play it. That's entirely up to you, and you shouldn't feel the tiniest bit bad about saying flat out NO.

Then, if he DOES play a rancor, he should know there are consequences to being a giant monster. People will flee screaming at the sight of him. Local authorities and big-game hunters will be constantly after him. He won't fit anywhere. Etc, etc, etc...

Finally, as a PC, the Dathomirian Rancor does have 1D+1 extra dice beyong the species maximum. I guess you can simply discard those, he already has dice to spare.

oh, i have no qualms about saying no. but i've played with this person before and he is a great roleplayer and loves a challenge. i'm going to see what he does for his history before deciding. i just wanted some ideas on the extra dice.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd either just give them the Species Attribute Dice, as Dathomirian Rancors are already exceptional examples of Rancordom, give them standard 18D Attributes, or, failing that, toss the remaining dice above the species maxes. Of course, I wouldn't allow the Rancor to be a player character anyway. I've allowed them as a companion, but not as a player.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I'd thought about having a Dathomirian Rancor PC in a slapstick adventure I was going to do just to pass some time between campaigns. I think it's funny that someone is actually doing it.

Really, I would just say that that you can do one of two things. 1) call it a wash and discard the remaining. 2) Follow WEG rules for advancing attributes. Make him roll for each increase beyond the maximum. Except at generation, if he looses the roll, then he looses the pip. When he looses the roll, he gets nothing back.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:

Then you also add in that as he is such a large target, in combat he will be drawing the majority of shots, and even with their high str, with the enemy using combined fire etc he will go down. Also due to his size, i cannot see him fitting in any speeder or normal freighter that characters get. And any ship they DO get will probabily have to get it's internal decking switched out to allow him to move..

Personally i would just tell him no he cannot play the rancor.
Mogul76
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn’t allow him to play a Rancor.
To me this looks similar to letting someone play a very big dog in another game. Wuf, wuf... How can the Rancor properly interact with other characters in your game? Woooaaaa... grrrrr...?
The 0D/1D attribute scores for knowledge, mechanical and technical show how limited a Rancor’s intelligence and communication skills are...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: