The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Personal shields
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Personal shields Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not if everyone in the group is not only policing themselves, but the other player’s as well.

I't remarkable how far a little common sense goes.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I checked, Neutrinos were more common than Common Sense. Laughing
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... i'll stick close to the rules, and just incorperate very few of my own custom ones... and you do your thing Razz

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, what the crap does neutrinos have to do with anything?

And Crell, how is that any different from what my group and I do?
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
Amen to that!

I never leave the rules alone, I'm always tweaking one thing or another.

NPC's, combat, heck even equipment, I tweak'em all.

I don't go out of my way to tweak stuff, if i come into a problem, only then do i even consider changing it...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nether do we, we just encounter a few of things that in our opinion have been a problematic for our game play. The totality of which, is pretty minor compared to some.

NPC’s: are tweaked according to changes observed in cannon or EU material, if the stats or skills of a character are not accurately represented, we alter them to fit accordingly.

Combat: the digression between full auto fire and how it’s handled in the books, But I believe that that has been already tackled in an existing thread.

Equipment: we utilize the net and our judgement to add and modify equipment…just like everyone else on this board.

Rules: “climb and jump being one skill” issue and other elements of the game that don’t appear wholly thought out.

Wow! What a pretty exhaustive list my group has! Rolling Eyes

Note the dripping sarcasm.
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell Damar wrote:
I'm not talking about the players taking too much... because sometimes they can take too much and not even know that they're taking it... sometimes no one realizes it until it's too late...

These are all good points. But then the GM should just up the ante by applying the same rules to the NPC's. Of course you can always just have fun with it to, and let it be. Or have the players start over with new characters, only to pull out the uber-elite PC's when you need to blow off some steam. Better yet: the GM uses the uber-eliet PC's as NPC's to fight along side, or help out, the "new" PC's. Usually seeing their characters as the "top dog" and being the ones you don't want to mess with is enjoyable by most. Kind of like having a big brother who comes along at the right moment and stop the bully from punching his younger brother.
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i remember right there is a personal shield generator in Fantastic tech. i belive its the one thats listed in that Arouns Equipment guide.. from what i can recall about it from fantastic tech its a watch for civilian use. so its fashionable and they have to pick there fire arc to defend my impression is it makes a shield close to a tower shield size, i don't see any reason they couldn't have manufactured a belt. that would give a little more protection and cover all the way around them only thing to remember is whats in a shield stays in the shield kinda like a sanctuary spell from dnd only you can be attacked. so i think thats why they only published the one is that the person using couldn't fire back if they wanted too. imo. i see no reason a belt buckle couldn't have a 6d shield on it or 4d f/ 2d rear. that would leave there flanks exposed... you just have to find a trade off you and your gm are happy with like my bounty hunter is wanting to get narcotics that enhance his attributes he's already cyborged his str to 6d has a nexus ring for str and dex ( i said he can only use one at a time) he's got a pretty mean armor already and im dreading him getting his new AV-1C powersuit that he payed 60k for so it would "fall off the truck" and to me him going to activly look for Stat buffing Drugs is a GM's Nightmare there in the books we have so i just have to make them very difficult to get. but i mean Nar shadda sells about everything it is like Crime central... so... even though i got a little off topic i don't see a huge reason you couldn't have a personal shield generator for the body or at least 2 fire arcs. they don't last long they arn't designed to be to strong. there for like "the senator is leaving the Capital and walking to his car when a few anti droid advocates jump out and attack at him, he activates his personal shield and dives into his repulsor limo and tells the driver to step on it!"
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if there's anything like a regular archaic sheild. cuz I wnted to have a big strong character with a big sword, big sheild, and huge armour. is there anything like that?
Love is still the answer take my hand
The vision fades a voice I hear
Listen to the madman!'
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the shield gave you cover Smile
but i've never seen someone who actually used a shield...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crunch has a Shield made from the hood of a "Star Wars Equivilent of a '70 El Camino". He's since had a piece cut out from it, and replaced with Milspec Transparisteel so that he can look out of it.

So far, it's come in *DARN* handy, particularily when going through possibly hostile doorways. He'll just stand there as the techs open the door, blocking shots that come at him, shouldering his way through, and then start the whupin'!!!

Crunch's Shield cost *ALOT*, and has been strengthened to 3D Speeder Scale... Trying to do anything but walk with it, however, imposes a -1D penalty to all rolls. Only folks with at least 3D+2 Strength can even hope to carry it, as well.

Plain, simple, efficient, and completely stupid. Just like Crunch.

"Heh heh... Crunch play Boot Hockey with Grenade!!!"
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Personal shields Reply with quote

Phaedrus wrote:
Does anyone use personal sheilds in their campaign? I've recently started a d6 campaign, and most of the players have played at least some incarnation of the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games.

Idea In our campaign, my character wore a belt mounted personal shield like Kyle's. It added one die to strength to resist energy, but not physical, attacks, and was invisible to the naked eye. The power source lasted for two minutes. This was purchased from The Armourer's Guild for the bargain price of 100,000 credits.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot remember where i saw it, but that shield that Prince Isoder used in Courtship of leia, gave a good level of shielding, but had the problem of heating up and could be forced INTO the person causing them damage...
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a GM, once upon a time I had the players run across a "magic junk dealer" while just passing through a space station during a mission.

The whole story starts with the group mentioning to me one Saturday that in a couple months of playing nobody had acquired any cool equipment. They had also recently come into a lot of money, several million credits (that was someone else's dirty money). So, to fix both problems, while the group was on their latest mission, and just passing through a certain outer rim space station on their way elsewhere, they ran across an antique dealer's shop. One of the characters noticed a fancy looking antique cooking utensil in the display window, and the group decided to have a look around while the cook haggled for the "fancy spoon". Well, I made up unique items for each character to find, one of which was actually not an antique at all, but the stolen prototype of an Imperial personal shield generator. The thing was just a prototype, and it took a while for the PC's to figure out exactly how it worked.

The wearer could use the shield in addition to any body armor worn, so to keep things balanced, sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't. It was also known that the shield would probably burn out eventually, and since nobody in the group was a crack scientist specializing in shield technology, there was no chance of fixing it after it went out. Further, certain Imperial folks were rather annoyed that the device had been stolen, so being caught with it on you would ensure swift and final punnishment. So, the stats I gave it were basically like this:

Personal shield generator
A 10 centimeter long cylindrical electronic device with a small glowing green light on one end. Covered with mysterious gadgetry and encased in high-temper duronium alloy casing. The device is incomplete, lacking control actuators, so operation of the device requires modification (adding control buttons). Further, the device is experimental, meaning that it is unreliable. When it does function however, it is quite impressive.

Game Rules:
Any time the wearer is hit by any blaster attack, thermal detonator or other explosion, the device absorbs 1d6 worth of damage dice from the attack (the attack gets that many fewer dice to roll damage). The device might instead fail to engage or suddenly become inoperative due to it's unfinished and experimental state. Roll 1d6 roll every time the device is used. If a 1 is rolled, the device becomes permanently inoperative. On a roll of 2 or 3 the device does not engage and the wearer takes full damage. On a roll of 4, 5 or 6 the device absorbs 1d6 worth of damage dice normally.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a few types of personal shields, ranging from energy-bucklers, to fully enclosing shields. I usually keep them in the 1D or 2D range, and I usually keep them rare. Depending on make and manufacture, they may operate for a few rounds on a blaster style power cell, or may require a full backpack style generator. It's a big galaxy, I always feel there are variants of technology out there somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: