The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Sunbeam Blasters?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Sunbeam Blasters? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Sunbeam Blasters? Reply with quote

Shocked I just took a look at LocTaal's character Rexer, and I'm scared about those blasters! Are those official?? Whether they are or not, can you give me more specific stats for those?
Love is still the answer take my hand
The vision fades a voice I hear
Listen to the madman!'
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunbeam weapons are munchkin, just ignore them Razz

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I really don't like them. I've made some dangerous stuff, but nothing that powerfull.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, those are like weapons of the apocolypse... Shocked
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I wasn't absolutely sure. If they were real, one could smash a hole in the side of a Y-Wing with one of those! I can imagine seeing something that powerful on the side of a star-destroyer!
Love is still the answer take my hand
The vision fades a voice I hear
Listen to the madman!'
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sunbeam blasters are definitely not official. I would not recommend using/creating any weapon that powerful. They definitely ruin any balance in the game. Smile

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did the sunbeam blaster get started anyway, Loc Taal?

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember exactly how it got started or where it came from. Our characters have picked up a fair amount of "uber weapons" throughout the years. They can be very cool and a lot of fun to have, I just think they make the character too powerful.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the GM. There can be lots of fun when the characters are ultra etlite. Makes for some fun stories. Of course it is fun to play when you have challenges to overcome, blah blah blah, but sometimes you just need a break from being realistic and play SW RPG the true way (IMO): your character being among the best in the galaxy. And why can't a GM give the NPC's just as much power and skills available to them? Way back in the first edition, I had raised all the well known characters skills way above WEG's interpretation. Even Stormtroopers became elite soldiers (as they were suppose to be). Of course people argue that Stormtroopers are not that great, but when you compare them to the heroes of the SW movies, they shouldn't be, but yet in the beginning of ANH, you see maybe only one or two fallen Stormtroopers compared to the Rebels on Tantive IV.

And the Sunbeam's were nothing. There are times when playing a character that makes high-ranking Imperials, veteran bounty hunters and dark Jedi shake in their boots so much fun. Very Happy
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally someone else who sees Stormtroopers the way I do!
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I like trying to create situations like this one (for when I was the GM).
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know... there are things appealing about having a mega hero, but then it just opens up a whole new dimension of even more powerful villians, actually... the prime example i have of a system that doesn't seem very good for epic players is D&D 3rd... i mean, as soon as your character hits 21st level, you have to fight baby godlings and stuff... all the monsters they bring into play in the epic game just totally over power the PCs and there's nothing they can do about it (trust me, I've tried to design the perfect epic character)... so for that reason I'm a little afraid of ever getting too powerful, many games have shown me that they can always throw a bigger fish right back at me... I guess i just got out of power gaming in Cyberpunk, although the sunbeam weapons seem kinda cool Razz Wink

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just believe that Stormtroopers have been chumped throughout the game.

That’s why the Stormtroopers in our campaigns are always above the grade in comparison to the standard. Besides, they are still not going to be able to take out a PC mano-eh-mano, but a group of them will definite give beginning PC’s pause. Also once the PC’s get up in exp, they it really means something when they can defeat them readily, it gives them a sense of accomplishment.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the stormtroopers got robbed, but i've found that just in sheer numbers stormtroopers can be a real pain... imagine if loc taal (the actual character) decides to ignore the 80 or so stormtroopers that are set up around him, and they combine action a shot (which they can do with no multiple action penalty) they could have 20D shot that does something like 10-12D damage... I mean, han solo isn't scared of 4 sitting in a room or whatever, but when he ran in the room of what 20? what was he doing? running away, they're not meant to be a threat in small numbers, they pwn in large groups, and that's just the way it is (if you leave it alone) In the face of a large group, the smart character who wants to live gives up Razz no power character can survive 12D energy damage Razz (unless the GM rolls 12... but that's not the point)

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know my thoughts on why I believe they have been cheapened in the game man.

I still stand by my opinion in this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: