The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Concentration - Controlling abuse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Concentration - Controlling abuse Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liana
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could limit the types of powers that characters can use. If they haven't been making an effort to RP study, practice, meditation, etc. of a particular force power (like Concentration, for example, which seems to require the ability to focus one's thoughts and calm one's emotions), don't let them learn it.

My consular in our tabletop game doesn't have Concentration, and won't until she masters the first cadence. At that point, I feel it's justifiable for my character, since she's been trying to focus more on discipline than sheer power or her persuasive abilities.

Of course, some players are more willing to "hamper" their progression for the sake of RP than others.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karae wrote:
Forgetting about bringing Lightsaber Combat up with Concentration, here's why I've limited Concentration in my PbP game here on the forums.

If a player starts to use the force with assistance (ie Concentration), even when they reach a point where they could do without the assistance, they'll be less likely to abandon it, as they've become so used to using it at the same time.

That means that often, having the Concentration power, can replace bothering to increase dice in force skills, for the sake of activation.

Oh, I know that the dice MAY be raised.. but that's most likely to allow them to access new force powers, that they want to use Concentration to use...

Oh, you of little faith... Razz
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a character in my game once that used concentration a lot. It was during a Empire Era game, so I limited his use by telling him (truthfully) that Imperial jedi-hunter types would find him if he used the force too often.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xynar wrote:
Doesn't Concentration effect only a single skill? If so, it can't be used for Lightsaber Combat (Control+Sense).

yes, but i can use concentration this round and make the sense roll, then next round concetrate to bring up the control side..
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott2978 wrote:
I had a character in my game once that used concentration a lot. It was during a Empire Era game, so I limited his use by telling him (truthfully) that Imperial jedi-hunter types would find him if he used the force too often.

have a rule in place where if any force use, even a skill being concentrated on pips over 30/40, they make enough of a force ripple that those hunters now know of their presence, and have located the PC... Then if they do it again, they get the force hunters on them.
Ineti
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't expect my players to abuse the Concentration power in my upcoming d6SW game, but just in case, I built in the following into the Concentration description:

Quote:
A Force-user may use this technique a number of times per game session equal to the number before the “D” in their control skill (e.g., a Force-user with control 2D+2 may use this technique twice in a single session).

If it turns out they're abusing even this, I'll drop it to once a session and see how that goes.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a terrible idea.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: