The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fuel Cells
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Fuel Cells Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybertroll
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Fuel Cells Reply with quote

Hello fellow gamers,

I rarely post but I lurk in the forums reading your interesting threads.

I would require your help tracking down the exact rules for Fuel Cell consumption on the 1st edition of Star Wars Galaxy Guide 6. So far I have the following based on what I found on this forum and other sources:

ZzaphodD wrote:
From the 1st ed of Tramp Freighters..

Cost of recharging fuel cells (most light freighters have 50)

Charging Rate / Cost per Cell
Trickle (1 cell/day) / 5 Cr
Standard (1 cell/hour) / 10 Cr
Fast (4 cells/hour) / 50 Cr
Emergency (20 cells/hour) / 500 Cr*

* They are actually replacing cells.

Fuel Consumption
Entering Hyperspace: 1 Cell
Per 6 hours in Hyperspace: 1 Cell
Per Month of Realspace Op.: 1 Cell
Per hour of Combat Op.: 1 Cell
Per hour of atmospheric flight: 1 Cell

My question is the following: This cost is supposed to be extra on the restocking cost of the consumables? Does anyone have the 1st edition of Tramp Freighters with the exact rules on restocking?

I would greatly appreciate any help... It's impossible to find the book and I would like to take a look at the exact rules.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I have that book, but Ill look later this afternoon. Any reason you don't want to just wing it?
cybertroll
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Not sure if I have that book, but Ill look later this afternoon. Any reason you don't want to just wing it?

Thank you very much Smile

I will if necessary but I wanted to take a look at the official rules first.
I use an old Ship Construction System from the 90s by Urban Lundqvist to manage everything on the spacecraft, from how many tons and power are left for upgrades to micromanaging various aspects like consumables and ammo. He was basing the Fuel Cells on the 1st edition Tramp Freighters and I would like to see the exact rules before moving on adjusting them according to my needs.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Urban; he had some great stuff, like the Wing Pylon system, as well as some great stats for other ships that I've used over the years.

In the 1E book, fuel cell costs are listed separately from the maintenance and restocking fees; it seems more like an optional rule that breaks fuel and other components into separate figures for those who want to play a slightly more complicated game.

If you can find it, 1E is worth picking up and using alongside the 2E Tramp Freighters book, as it has some useful ideas that weren't included in 2E.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cybertroll
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I remember Urban; he had some great stuff, like the Wing Pylon system, as well as some great stats for other ships that I've used over the years.

I am still using his Starship Construction System ver 3.0. I've made a huge excel out of it and I am able to manipulate every little detail of the ship Very Happy Helps me a lot to be able to do power reroutings.

crmcneill wrote:
In the 1E book, fuel cell costs are listed separately from the maintenance and restocking fees; it seems more like an optional rule that breaks fuel and other components into separate figures for those who want to play a slightly more complicated game.

If you can find it, 1E is worth picking up and using alongside the 2E Tramp Freighters book, as it has some useful ideas that weren't included in 2E.

I hope that someone in here has the book so he/she can tell me the rules cause I cannot find the book anywhere, neither printed or in pdf.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it (looked up the answer before I posted). I've since left the house, so I can't quote specifics, but there was a separate price listed for consumables. Give me a couple hours and I will get back to you.

cybertroll
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Give me a couple hours and I will get back to you.

Thank you very much Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, cost in consumables is equal to (# of crew + # of passengers) x total days of consumables x 10 credits.

Additional fuel cells cost 500 credits each and weigh .1 tons.

Fuel consumption rates are the same as described above.

A solid fuel converter uses the following ratios:
    1 fuel cell charged requires 1 ton of heavy/dense materials or 5 tons of light materials (oxygen, water, cellulose, waste, etc.)

Converts 1/2 ton per hour.

Scoop offers no stats, with the description unchanged in 1E

Solar converters recharge at a variable rate based on their proximity to a star (1-3 per day in- system, .1-.2 in deep space)

Anything else?

cybertroll
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm so in essence they kept only the consumables restocking in 2nd ed. with the same price and dropped the fuel cells. 1st ed. demanded more money from the pilot for a complete restocking.

Thank you for posting me also the converter ratios Smile
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cybertroll wrote:
Hmmm so in essence they kept only the consumables restocking in 2nd ed. with the same price and dropped the fuel cells. 1st ed. demanded more money from the pilot for a complete restocking.

Pretty much. In all fairness, the fuel cell rules require more bookkeeping in-game, which can drag down the pace of a game pretty rapidly if the GM doesn't keep ahead of it. IMO, it is better as an optional rule for people who don't mind a more complex game.

Quote:
Thank you for posting me also the converter ratios Smile

No problem. It is getting harder and harder to get copies of the old WEG books, even with internet assistance, but if you can find a copy of 1E Tramp Freighters, its worth picking up and using as a companion piece to the 2E book.

cybertroll
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Pretty much. In all fairness, the fuel cell rules require more bookkeeping in-game, which can drag down the pace of a game pretty rapidly if the GM doesn't keep ahead of it. IMO, it is better as an optional rule for people who don't mind a more complex game.

I play the pilot and the owner of the vessel, a non-combat character in the company of two Jedi. Taking care of my ship, modifying it, upgrading it and bookkeeping is more or less half of the fun I have in the game Smile

It seems I will have to adjust the rules about cost and consumption a bit though so in total they will end up closer to what 2nd ed. says about how much you need to spend for restocking your ship. It's already expensive as it is, usually I can barely keep any credits in my pockets after a delivery.

Plus with 1 Fuel Cell per 6 hours of hyperspace you can't travel more than 10-12 days in hyperspace. Which is too little, there's no safety net in case something goes wrong in the Astrogation planning and you end up stranded in the middle of nowhere. I think I will suggest upping it to 1 FC / 12 hours, it seems more reasonable.

crmcneill wrote:
No problem. It is getting harder and harder to get copies of the old WEG books, even with internet assistance, but if you can find a copy of 1E Tramp Freighters, its worth picking up and using as a companion piece to the 2E book.

Yes it is. I found a couple of copies on e-bay but they were from US and it would end up around 40 euros to buy one - too much.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel cell tracking (like blaster shots and encumberance etc) are often good ideas in writing, but most often get overlooked/ignored for pace.
cybertroll
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Fuel cell tracking (like blaster shots and encumberance etc) are often good ideas in writing, but most often get overlooked/ignored for pace.

It is but it all depends actually on the player. If the player really wants to do it and the GM trusts him to do it, then it will be there.

I am very meticulous when it comes to tracking consumables, ammo and other things.

On a three year Shadowrun campaign, playing a Troll street sam/merc, I kept track of every single bullet that came out of my guns, bought ammo when it was needed, made sure that it was written on my papers and knew exactly how much I had all the time.

The same I did with the previous Star Wars campaign when I was playing a smuggler/conman. I kept track of every single transaction my character ever made in my captain's log, including consumables, hyperdrive overhauls (but not Fuel Cells - that's a new thing getting into our bookeeping).I still have the log of the first year of that campaign scanned (half in Greek, half in English)

I actually enjoy this, especially if it's part of my Role Playing. And now that I play again the owner of a ship, I intend to do the same, using mainly excel though and less handwritten notes. Most of us in my current RPG group are like that actually and those who are not are covered by the ones who are.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the only major differences between the two editions were in the Starship Modification section, with the different drive types being generic "stats only" drives, rather than the specific named drive types in the 2E. There was also an option for drives where the captain could trade top speed for increased cargo capacity, at a rate of 20 metric tons per 1D of speed (This option was only available at the time of engine installation).

Rollenspiel
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
.I still have the log of the first year of that campaign scanned (half in Greek, half in English)

That's some admirably detailed records! And I even learned a new Greek word (kefalaio). Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: