The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Emperor's Shadow Guard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Emperor's Shadow Guard Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Emperor's Shadow Guard Reply with quote

Here's a brand new (and admittedly kick-@$$) class from the upcoming Force Unleashed game.

The Emperor's Shadow Guard was an organization of elite soldiers who served the Galactic Empire during the Great Jedi Purge. They were based on the Emperor's Royal Guard, their appearance almost identical except that their armor and visor colors were inverted, with the full body armor and robe being black and the visor red. Shadow Guards were completely mute and rarely seen in public, dispatched on special missions by Palpatine himself. It was rumored that some of the Shadow Guard were corrupted Jedi captured during the Purge; whether or not this was true, all Shadow Guards received basic training in the Force and were armed with lightsaber pikes. They were known to accompany Imperial commandos in battle.

When I first got into Star Wars, I used to think Royal Guards were force users, so I think it's cool that that image has finally been brought to life in this new elite guard. Talk about the best, of the best... of the best!

So, even though we don't know much about these dudes yet, does anybody want to take a stab at statting them?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here a the Royal Guard's stats, which I think are a necessary starting point.

Quote:
Imperial Royal Guard
Type: Royal Guard
DEXTERITY 5D
Blaster 7D, blaster artillery 6D, brawling parry 6D, dodge 7D, melee combat 6D, melee combat: force pike 8D+2, melee parry 5D
KNOWLEDGE 2D+1
Streetwise 3D+1, survival 6D
MECHANICAL 2D+2
PERCEPTION 2D+2
Bargain 3D+2, command 5D+2, hide 6D+2, search 6D+2, sneak 6D+2
STRENGTH 3D
Brawling 6D, climbing/jumping 6D, lifting 5D, stamina 6D
TECHNICAL 2D+1
Demolitions 5D+1, first aid 3D, security 4D+1
Character Points: Varies, typically 1-5
Move: 10
Equipment: Heavy blaster pistol (5D), armor (+2D physical, +1D energy, -1D Dexterity), force pike (STR+3D)

And then, there's the Sovereign Protector, which seems to play a very similar role to that of the Shadow Guard.

Quote:
Imperial Sovereign Protector
Type: Imperial Sovereign Protector
DEXTERITY 5D
Archaic guns 8D, blaster 9D, blaster artillery 6D+2, bows 6D, brawling parry 7D+2, dodge 8D. melee combat 6D+2, melee parry 6D, missile weapons 7D, thrown weapons 6D+1, vehicle blasters 6D+2
KNOWLEDGE 4D
Intimidation 6D+1, law enforcement 5D+2, scholar: Dark Side lore 5D, streetwise 5D, survival 7D, willpower 5D+2
MECHANICAL 3D+2
Beast riding 5D
PERCEPTION 4D+1
Command 5D, search 6D, sneak 5D
STRENGTH 3D
Brawling 6D, climbing/jumping 7D, lifting 4D, stamina 6D
TECHNICAL 3D
Demolition 5D, security 7D
Special Abilities:
Force Skills:
Control: 2D
Sense: 1D
Force Powers:
Control: Remain conscious, resist stun
Sense: Combat sense, danger sense*, life detection, life sense, sense Force
This character is Force-sensitive.
Force Points:1
Dark Side Points: 3
Character Points: 9
Move: 11
Equipment: Force pike (STR+3D damage), battle armor (+3D physical, +2D energy, sensor suite adds +1D to search or Perception)

The Dark Empire Sourcebook states:
Quote:
Just as the Royal Guard are the finest of the Imperial stormtroopers, so the Protectors are the highest order yet. Palpatine may create still more elevated ranks in the future, but for now, the Protectors are the summit.

So, would the Shadow Guards be above or below the Sovereign Protectors? Keep in mind that Dark Empire is set some 5 years after Endor, and Force Unleashed is somewhere between Episodes 3 and 4. I would set the Shadow Guards as the most elite at that time. And maybe they were later replaced by the Sovereigns, when the threat of Jedi remnants no longer existed (which would mean Shadows would be more powerful in the Force). I mean, Shadows wield lightsaber pikes for a reason! Sovereigns rely on the more mundane force pike.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably stat them somewhere above Royal Guards, below Protectors, and well below Vader in Force Powers. They probably wouldn't have the same sort of background as the Royal Guard and Protectors, probably not being derived from Stormtrooper stock; rather being a completely separate group, along the lines of the Emperor's Hands, though less personally attached to Palpatine.

Type: Shadow Guard
DEXTERITY 5D
Blaster 7D, blaster artillery 6D, brawling parry 6D+2, dodge 7D, lightsaber 6D, melee combat 6D+1, melee parry 5D
KNOWLEDGE 2D+2
Streetwise 3D+1, survival 6D, Scholar: Force lore 3D+1
MECHANICAL 2D+2
Repulsorlift Operation 3D, communications 4D, sensors 3D+1
PERCEPTION 2D+2
Bargain 3D+2, command 5D+2, hide 6D+2, investigation 4D, search 6D+2, sneak 7D
STRENGTH 3D+1
Brawling 6D, climbing/jumping 6D, lifting 5D, stamina 6D
TECHNICAL 2D+2
Demolitions 5D+2, first aid 3D+1, security 4D+2
Special Abilities:
Control 4D
Sense 3D
Alter 3D
Force Powers:
Control - Absorb/dissipate energy, concentration, control pain, enhance attribute
Sense - Life detection, life sense, danger sense, combat sense, magnify senses, receptive telepathy, sense Force, sense Force potential
Alter - Telekinesis, injure/kill
Control/Sense - Lightsaber combat
Control/Sense/Alter - Enhanced coordination
Character Points: Varies, typically 1-5
Force Points: 1
Dark Side Points: 3
Move: 10
Equipment: Heavy blaster pistol (5D), armor (+2D physical, +1D energy, -1D Dexterity), Lightsaber Pike (5D)

I'm not sure I'm huge on the concept of the Shadow Guard... if only due to time line constraints, the fact that Palpatine already has other legions of Jedi hunters and that Force Users already seem pretty plentiful within the Empire and the universe in general during a time frame in which Force users are particularly rare (when they're supposed to be quite rare anyway).
I do, however, see their benefit in a video game type setting or as adversaries for particularly strong PCs to encounter once or twice in important situations. But in a Star Wars continuity/setting sense, I dislike the idea Smile

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sense - Life detection, life sense, danger sense, combat sense, magnify senses, receptive telepathy, sense Force, sense Force potential

All in all an excellent job. The only part I noticed that seemed a bit off was 'Sense Force Potential'.

I would think that if it got bad enough to send these guys out (or any of the Elite Imperial Force Sensitives) that 'scouting for potential' has pretty much been cast by the wayside.

These don't seem like the 'recruiting party' type. They're the ones that are sent when the head hunters have failed. Besides SFP can have quite the backlash againt the user. If these guys are supposed to be the best of the best of the best, I doubt they would risk giving an enemy a tactical advantage by being hurled against a wall or staggered slightly while they probed for force potential.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, you can find out if someone is force-sensitive with a good Life Detection roll, can't you?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I initially interpreted "elite soldiers who served the Galactic Empire during the Great Jedi Purge" as meaning that they were involved in the purging; as such needed to be able to identify the Jedi. That may not be the case, I dunno. The power could easily be dropped.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the icky d20 stats. I'm not real good with the d20 so not sure how to convert them to d6.

Star Wars Roleplaying Game: Saga Edition Statistics

Imperial Shadow Guard Initiate CL 10

Medium Human nonheroic 6/Soldier 6/Elite Trooper 1/Force Adept 1
Force 3; Dark Side 7
Init +17; Senses low-light vision, Perception +16
Languages Basic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Defenses Ref 21 (flat-footed 20), Fort 22, Will 24
hp 63; Threshold 22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speed 4 squares
Melee lightsaber pike +12* (3d8+7**) or
Melee unarmed +13 (1d6+6) or
Ranged heavy blaster pistol +11 (3d8+4)
Base Atk +11; Grp +13
Atk Options Point Blank Shot, Power Attack
Special Actions Damage Reduction 10, Delay Damage

Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 9
Talents Armored Defense, Damage Reduction 10, Empower Weapon, Equilibrium, Power of the Dark Side
Feats Armor Proficiencies (light, medium), Cleave, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (lightsaber pike), Force Sensitivity, Martial Arts I, Point Blank Shot [9th level], Power Attack, Skill Focus (Initiative), Skill Training (Use the Force), Weapon Proficiencies (pistols, rifles, simple weapons)
Skills Initiative +17, Perception +16, Use the Force +11
Possessions Shadow Guard armor (+7 armor; as ceremonial armor with helmet package), lightsaber pike, heavy blaster pistol, comlink (encrypted, long-range [miniaturized], holo capability), utility belt with medpac

* Includes 1 point of Power Attack
** Includes +1 damage die for Empower Weapon
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is that from, Ginzain? I thought their stats would only be released in the upcoming Force Unleashed Sourcebook...

I don't wanna go through the trouble of converting them if they're not the official stats...
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Force Unleashed preview.

http://wizards.com//default.asp?x=starwars/article/FUpreview1
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, goody. Later on I'll try to see how one goes about converting a Saga character.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Oh, goody. Later on I'll try to see how one goes about converting a Saga character.

You could always do a conversion to d20 and then to D6! Razz
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the preview makes it seem like these guards have very limited force capabilities, with their only ability in the miniatures game is light saber block, and they have only a single use, which translates to a very limited force connection, and minor force training.

I'm thinking:

Control 3D
Sense 2D
Force Powers:
Control - concentration, control pain, enhance attribute
Sense - Life sense, combat sense, magnify senses, receptive telepathy
Control/Sense - Light saber combat

However, that is my take from the Miniatures Game, I guess we wont know until we see them in Action in the FU Game and Novel.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus, I don't know whether the Equilibrium talent should be translated into Accelerate healing, Remove Fatigue or both. Or do you suppose Control Pain alone covers it?
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have my Saga PDF here at work, so I might be talking out of my @$$ here.

From memory, The Force Talent Equilibrium is used to help a character when hit, not while in combat or afterwards, so that is why I said control pain, and not Accelerate Healing or remove fatigue.

However, being a CR10 creature with 6 lvls in soldier, we might want to up the physical stats a little.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a breakdown of my ideas of how things translate from Saga to D6 in this guy's stats:

Senses low light vision - Helmet visor gives bonus to PER in low-light situations

Languages Basic - No languages skill, plus he's mute so...

Speed 4 squares - Translates to Move 8, but that's ridiculous. Move 10 or maybe 11.

Melee lightsaber pike +12 - Helluva good Lightsaber Pike skill, around 7D-8D. Only doubt is whether that's a Specialization or a new skill, since it's an exotic weapon. I'm leaning towards a new skill.

Melee unarmed +13 - Great Brawling, over 7D.

Ranged heavy blaster pistol +11 - Good Blaster skill, over 6D. Probably shouldn't be restricted to the Heavy Blasters specialization.

Point Blank Shot - Raise the Blaster skill a couple pips.

Power Attack - Raise Melee Combat a bit.

Abilities - Converts to DEX 2D, KNW 2D+2, MEC 2D, PER 2D+2, STR 3D, TEC 2D. That's not too bad, only DEX needs a BIG boost. Maybe 5D, like the Royal Guards.

To be continued....

(PS. It would be great if we had Saga Edtion Royal Guard stats. Have they published those somewhere?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: