The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsaber Combat Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Lightsaber Combat Question Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Lightsaber Combat Question Reply with quote

So, I've begun running d6 SW again. Apparently it's more popular than d20 in our little group; something I was a bit shocked at.

We had an issue last night with Lighsaber Combat and I wasn't sure what was accurate and I'm hoping you can help me with it.

I'm sure you all know this stuff, but to prevent confusion I'm listing the facts as I had them, to help you better understand where my mistakes may have been made, if any:

1. Liana, our Expelled Jedi Consular, has Sense 4D and Control 3D.

2. When you parry the result becomes the opponents new target number.

3. Liana rolled 33 on her parry with Lightsaber Combat active.

4. The book states: "The Jedi may also attempt to control where deflected blaster bolts go; this is a "reaction skill" and counts as an additional action.

5. She makes a Control roll to control the blaster bolts.

Now when we were ambushed by a squad of Storm Troopers we ran into a problem. She rolled a 33 for her parry and I got confused.

Is every blaster bolt you parry a separate parry roll? If so this would override what the rules say about parries and dodges.

Is the Control roll after the deflection affected by a MAP or do you use your full pool?

Now, I'm not sure if I'm right, but this is how I handled it: Every Storm Trooper that failed to over come 33 had a blaster bolt deflected back at them and Liana rolled her full control pool to hit them.

I thought she would lay waste to them, but out of 5 the shots that came her way she only hit with two of them. It seemed okay to me.

Did I do it right?
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye. Every attack directed at Liana needs to roll a 33 to hit. As far as directing where the attacks go that's a control roll. Now the problem is this. Since directing where the blaster bolt goes is an action, that has to be declared. Each directed deflection thus imposes a MAP. To direct 5 bolts would be a MAP of 5, 1 more for the parry, and 2 more for keeping lightsaber combat up. That's 8 MAP's or -7d off all actions. With only 3d control she'll never hit anything. With only a 3d control Liana simply can't parry with lightsaber combat running and redirect. A single redirect would be 4 actions and -3d. Unless she blows a force point.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Being a "prequel jedi" in the WEG system isn't easy at all. A moderately experienced jedi character can't expect to be able to to all the cool things. That's HARD. Deflecting blasts back at opponents is VERY HARD. Not even a master can manage to deflect the blasts of 5 opponents shooting at him simultaneously. Come to think of it, isn't that how Ki-Adi-Mundi died?
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought reaction skills didn't need to be declared. I know the MAP would continue to stack, but she has to declare deflections?

Last edited by Revenant on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she doesn't care where the deflection goes it's only a parry. But if she wants it to hit a spefic spot then yes, it's an action and has to be declared.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't necessarily have to declare "5 blast deflects" at the beginning of the round, but you have to declare the number of actions you will take that round, 6 in that case, plus the 2 from Lightsaber Combat.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revenant wrote:
I thought reaction skills didn't need to be declared. I know the MAP would continue to stack, but she has to declare deflections?

The parry itself is a reaction, not the redirection of the bolts..
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Exactly. Being a "prequel jedi" in the WEG system isn't easy at all. A moderately experienced jedi character can't expect to be able to to all the cool things. That's HARD. Deflecting blasts back at opponents is VERY HARD. Not even a master can manage to deflect the blasts of 5 opponents shooting at him simultaneously. Come to think of it, isn't that how Ki-Adi-Mundi died?

And yes, that IS how Ki-Adi-Mundi died. Wink

As always, you're right on top of it, Gry!
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ki-Adi-Mundi died because he was supposed to. Had he been meant to live through the scene he would have parried every blaster shot and defeated every clone trooper all with a broken ankle and a severed hand. For this reason, I find it difficult to use the movies as a referance.

Shame too, I liked Mundi.

However, thank you all for the assistance. I thought the deflection was part of the 'reaction skill' so I wasn't counting it as an action. I am now wiser. Very Happy
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for personal taste, although all of you have assessed the rules correctly, in a situation like this I usually say bugger to the rules and judge a resolution according to what would be both realistic and entertaining.

Since a Control of 3D indicates a rather novice Jedi, there is no way this Jedi would be able to redirect ALL FIVE bolts, but I might call it that one or two were redirected towards the attackers, and maybe one or two could hit something by accident for comedic effect (say the groin of a nearby statue for instance).
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
Just for personal taste, although all of you have assessed the rules correctly, in a situation like this I usually say bugger to the rules and judge a resolution according to what would be both realistic and entertaining.

Since a Control of 3D indicates a rather novice Jedi, there is no way this Jedi would be able to redirect ALL FIVE bolts, but I might call it that one or two were redirected towards the attackers, and maybe one or two could hit something by accident for comedic effect (say the groin of a nearby statue for instance).

Actually that's exactly what I did. I told her she might get two or three, but all five at her skill would require a FP. She went with two and we moved on. Since I wasn't sure about the control pool part after the deflection we thought it was best to just keep the game moving.

Since she is inexperienced I told her she defected them all rather haphazardly (looking a bit silly and panicked in the process)... and she had no idea how to get them where she wanted them to go (the Knights make it look so easy...).

One I told her was intentional, the second was lucky the third and fourth just rebounded into the background but the last one struck a steam pipe near one of the characters heads (a Mandalorian mercenary) which resulted in him hitting deck and screaming: "Hey, hey, hey!" then mumbling "Damn mirialans, cross eyed, every last one of them..."

It got a big enough chuckle out of me to get him 1CP for humor, and her 1CP for being the butt of our humor.
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always the deflected bolt flying into another delectable surface and rebounding to hit a stormtroopers rifle right in the barrel
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revenant wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

Actually that's exactly what I did. I told her she might get two or three, but all five at her skill would require a FP. She went with two and we moved on. Since I wasn't sure about the control pool part after the deflection we thought it was best to just keep the game moving.

Since she is inexperienced I told her she defected them all rather haphazardly (looking a bit silly and panicked in the process)... and she had no idea how to get them where she wanted them to go (the Knights make it look so easy...).

One I told her was intentional, the second was lucky the third and fourth just rebounded into the background but the last one struck a steam pipe near one of the characters heads (a Mandalorian mercenary) which resulted in him hitting deck and screaming: "Hey, hey, hey!" then mumbling "d*mn mirialans, cross eyed, every last one of them..."

It got a big enough chuckle out of me to get him 1CP for humor, and her 1CP for being the butt of our humor.

Sounds like you handled it really well then, kudos to you!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:

Technically she should not have even been allowed to redirect one bolt. 2 actions for keeping LS combat up, 1 for the parry then 1 for the redirect would whipe out her control all together.
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Ana Decides to parry a blaster bolt and control where it goes. This is two more actions in a round, which means a total of four actions(don’t forget the control and sense to keep the power “up”), for a penalty of –3D: Ana’s lightsaber skill is 5D+2, and her lightsaber’s damage is 7D. Ana’s attacker is using a blaster pistol that causes 4D damage.

First Ana makes her parry roll with her lightsaber: her parry roll of 18 is higher than the attacker’s blaster roll of 13, so Ana parries the
bolt.

Now, Ana tries to control the blaster bolt. Her target is 20 meters away – that’s a Moderate difficulty for the blaster pistol. Ana rolls a 14 with her control – just barely good enough to hit. The blaster bolt bounces off Ana’s lightsaber blade and hits another goon, causing 4D damage."

Now there is conflicting reports. One person stated that every action is -1D while the book says it's -1D for ever action after the first you take. Either the book is wrong or we are.

In the example above, either Ana rolled her full control pool (Which 5D6+2 averages 14-20 per roll), or rolled 2D6, got lucky and two 6's and added 2. That's the only way she could have made a 14 (I'm not counting the Wild die or Force Points since the example doesn't state they were used). Since her light saber damage is 7D, the facts tell us she only rolled 2D6+2, making a 14 exremely unlikely.

The book says if you declare 4 actions, that -4 to your die pool. It also says above that for 4 actions it's only a -3 penalty.

Me cornfrused... Crying or Very sad

"The boy is plain dagnasty evil!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: