The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

D6 vs. D20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> D6 vs. D20 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: D6 vs. D20 Reply with quote

What's your preference?

My opinion, shortly put is this: friends don't let friends play D20.

But I have to admit that they source books they're putting out are very nicely done, but I refuse to direct any money to that franchise.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering this is a D6 only forum, I doubt you'd find many here who prefer D20.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
Considering this is a D6 only forum, I doubt you'd find many here who prefer D20.

yup. Preachin' to the choir Razz

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though this is a D6 forum, i have seen this type of topic pop up a few times Razz

D6, no contest Wink

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if people know anything about me, I think it's pretty obvious that I'm D6 all the way!

Even when you consider the new material, Saga edition, I'd still much rather use D6. Saga is moving closer to D6, but there are still parts of it that prompt a nervous twitch in my eye. While it's substantially better, complexity wise, than the OCR or RCR, it's still clunky.

They way I look at it, since the D20 games seem to be moving closer and closer to D6, why don't they just take that final jump and PLAY D6!

Sure, D6 has a couple of hiccups with things, but as a whole the system is much more smooth, simple to learn, simple to teach, easy to make things for and generally lends itself to more cinematic play than any of the D20 incarnations do.

In the long run, I have a gut feeling that all prior versions to whatever will be the "last" game version Star Wars will be in for D20, will be forever lost and forgotten. While D6 went through 3 editions during it's run (1st, 2nd and 2nd R&E) for the most part the game system stayed the same. A character created in 1st edition can still be used in a 2nd R&E game with very minimal alterations. The same cannot be said for D20's OCR, RCR, Saga editions. A character created in OCR has absolutely no hope of being compatible with a Saga game. While an OCR could go to RCR with some tweaks, Saga made it so pretty much everything prior was worthless. They basically threw out the baby with the bathwater, so to speak. So with the OCR and RCR relegated to obsolescence and incompatability, I don't think you'll see many sites like this one that will keep their flames alive.

I'd much rather play a game....and HEY, I do!.....that can be compatable with pretty much any version of the game system that came out for it. I'd much rather play a game where things are simple, fast, easy to understand, and there's a plethora of information for it! So for me, it's D6!
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:

True, but that is merely an assumption, and we all know what happens when we ASSUME! Laughing

I have spoken to people who happen to prefer D20, but usually because they had a bad experience with D6 which I think was more due to bad GMing rather than the rule system.
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Well, if people know anything about me, I think it's pretty obvious that I'm D6 all the way!

... A character created in 1st edition can still be used in a 2nd R&E game with very minimal alterations. The same cannot be said for D20's OCR, RCR, Saga editions. A character created in OCR has absolutely no hope of being compatible with a Saga game. While an OCR could go to RCR with some tweaks, Saga made it so pretty much everything prior was worthless. ...

I think this is a marketing plug, as if the b@st@rd* aren't making enough money. "Let's make our crappy rule set slightly less crappy so our customers will have to buy all over again!"

That's what I liked about WEG, whenever they updated their rules, they always provided a little guide at NO COST to upgrade 1st ed material. [/b]
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D6! I'll take buckets of dice over volumes of rules any day....
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm going to be the Devil's Advocate on this one! Twisted Evil

Let's see, the advantages of D20 are...

Um...

Let's see...

Wait! No... No, never mind...

Evil or Very Mad
Karae
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my D6 Campaign ended, I'm playing in a Saga game at the moment, as an Astromech droid.

I dunno if it's just the GM's style (he's not run for us before), or if it's down to the game mechanics, but it ALL seems to be combat, which leaves me stuck with nothing to do for long periods in the game sessions.

I think I'm going to be playing Mahjong in those tonight Sad

I am looking forwards to the next game however, which is going to be Star Wars, using the Hero System.
noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sorry to hear that Karae.

You may fire when ready
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought long and hard about this one, so here's my 2 cents worth..

D6: More cinimatic, easier to learn and play (A couple of six sided dice, pen, paper, a couple of rule books and your good to go), able to change the rules to meet your objectives.... etc

D20: Hack and slash for skill points (or whatever they use) harder to understand. Smells like D&D.... etc...

Plus D6 just feels more like starwars, if you know what I mean!!

OK so I really didn't think that long and hard about it.... D6 all the way!!!

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog

Last edited by Doomhead on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karae wrote:
After my D6 Campaign ended, I'm playing in a Saga game at the moment, as an Astromech droid.

I dunno if it's just the GM's style (he's not run for us before), or if it's down to the game mechanics, but it ALL seems to be combat, which leaves me stuck with nothing to do for long periods in the game sessions.

I think I'm going to be playing Mahjong in those tonight Sad

I am looking forwards to the next game however, which is going to be Star Wars, using the Hero System.

Perhaps you should consider messing around with Minis during the game...organization, tantalizing perhaps for the promise of a future game...or just plain playing around with! Very Happy
Karae
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean lining the AT-AT and AT-ST minis up behind the R5 figure I use for my droid?

Hmm... I might try that next week Very Happy
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own all the D20 SW stuff. It's mostly used for information towards a D6 game that we have going on at the moment. The players are seeming to like it better than D20.

D20 SW is nothing but AD&D. It's like all they've done is turned out to play like an MMORPG.

"Ok, you kill the viceroy, he explodes into 86,000 credits. You gain 10,000XP and a +3 Double Lightsaber."

They have designed it to revolve around combat... combat with thier minis... that they want you to purchace...

Seriously, WotC has destroyed the RPGs I used to love (D&D and SW). However, while I may not perfer them, my players do. So for gifts I get D&D books and SW books and in return I do my best to run a great game for them.

In short, I'm neutral. Any system has it's place as long as you're having a great time with it.

"The boy is plain dagnasty evil!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: