The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My Cardinal Rule of Roleplay: What is yours?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> My Cardinal Rule of Roleplay: What is yours? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alcon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: My Cardinal Rule of Roleplay: What is yours? Reply with quote

For me there is one Cardinal Rule of Roleplay that I apply to any and all roleplaying games is: Never ever act for a character that is not in your control in any way. It applies for the GM and for the players.

It's one of the things that annoys me most about GMs or players. When they speak for my character. Even little things: "(PC1) smiles at (PC2) who smiles back." Maybe PC2 didn't wanna smile back, but rather planned on snubbing PC1. Even if the player for PC1 is relatively sure that the relationship between the characters warrants such action, he doesn't know that.

As a GM I work really hard to never ever put actions or words in my characters mouth. By which I mean, if a Storm Trooper steps out from a door way -- hoping to catch a character by surprise -- I try not to put it like this "A Storm Trooper emerges from a door way, catching you completely by surprise, a shocked expression on your face." Rather "A Storm Trooper emerges from a door way. OOC: Your surprised, how do you act?" And then allow the player to decide how the surprise registers on his characters actions and faces.

It's pretty hard to do sometimes. It can be really tempting, especially in short exchanges, where you're pretty sure of what the other character is gonna do to just go ahead and do it for them. But I've found that while Rp goes a little bit slower, it's totally worth it because their is only one player playing each character. It can turn what would have otherwise been a meaningless exchange in to a much more interesting one: "(PC1) smiles at (PC2)." "(PC2) glares back at (PC1). 'What are you smiling at, huh?'" "(PC1) suddenly looks really confused, '...'"

So that's my Cardinal Rule, what's yours? What to you is the most important single rule to try and hold to while roleplaying? (Aside from the Stars Wars Rule of Thumb :p )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I have a clearly defined cardinal rule in my head but the rule you've just described is very high up in my priorites. I usually get surprised when exchanges aren't played out in this way. Although watching someone hold a conversation by themselves (IE two NPC's talking) can be very amusing.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's irritating.

But I think it's appropriate for GM's to dicated involuntary actions for the PCs.

For example:

PC: I'm hiding in the Durri Berry crate from Ploovo's thugs.

GM: Sure, roll your hide skill....a 26...no problem, you're totally safe.

PC: Great!

GM: But how do you feel about Dravid Snakes?

PC: Huh?

GM: As I recall, your character has a total phobia of snakes, especially Dravid Snakes which love Durri Berries.

PC: Oh no...

GM: I'm afraid a sickly scaly sensation slithers past your arm as you're hiding in the darkness.

PC: I keep quiet.

GM: Roll stamina....ouch! Four. Although you try to bite your lip, you let out a sharp squeal as you jerk back flailing at the snake....

As far as cardinal rules:

Don't argue with the GM
I hate RPG "lawyers". "But it says on page 144..." I made the call, I don't care what page 144 says and I can tell you where you can shove page 144. Nuff said.

Don't interrupt
I as the GM can make Darth Vader come out of nowhere just to b#tch slap you if you keep that up.

No whining
This is along the same thread as arguing. As GM, Yoda will come out of nowhere, b#tch slap you and say "Shove lightsaber up your @$$ I will, if whining like a little girl you don't stop."

Bathe
Not normally a problem among my friends and I, but ranks very high among environmental hazards at gaming conventions. Please, a little Sure goes a long way.

The GM CAN be bribed
I'll add +5 to any roll for a cookie, I'll let you reroll anything for $5, and for $100, you can be a badder Jedi than Yoda, Mace Windu and Young Obi-Wan combined.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be Flexible
Situations don't always go the way you want. Rules don't always apply as written (or at all). New rules may appear. Roll with it, make the best of the situation... but don't b**** about it. It's one thing to point out what the rules say to make sure that it's understood, but if the GM changes it, knowing that information, that's the way it is... go with it.
Flexibility also covers a lot of the concepts above, like rules lawyering, whining, etc.

I'm also a fan of not acting for other characters; let the PCs dictate their characters' actions... not you. It does slow things down a little, but it ensures that each player feels like they have ownership of their character and have responsibility for what happens to them.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of mine.. if you are the most experienced guy/gal on the table, give the newbies a chance to do/solve/say something before you act. just cause you can do it, does not mean you should.

Another. If gaming, game. Don't talk on a cel phone, watch TV, play the PC/nintendo etc.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is simple. Have fun and make the game fun for others.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Karae
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*agrees with Orgaloth*

The reason we roleplay (apart from to get away from the wife/girlfriend/Significant Other) is to have fun, and spend time with friends.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think Org nailed the cardinal rule. At the end of the day, what it all boils down to is having fun. All the issues of combat-oriented, story-oriented, character-oriented, rules-heavy, freeflowing, railroading can go one way or another, as long as the game is fun for all. Ive had some very well conceived games that were simply not all that fun, and many crappy ones that were a hoot. At the end of the day, thats what really matters.
noctum_carpe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun.

You may fire when ready
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all you who just posted the "Have Fun" rule, I kind of assumed that that was the intended end result of the "cardinal rules". As such... what is your cardinal rule to bring about the "Have Fun" result?

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Karae
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does "Try not to kill all the party in the first session" count? Twisted Evil
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Have fun is my Main rule. But other then that it would have to be something close to flexible. "Dont let the rules get in the way of the story". Rules are there to help ensue order, but if it gets in the way of a good story, feel free to bend them a bit, either fore or against the players.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a big one Vong.

The Story must flow. If a situation comes up where you are forced to spend thirty minutes comparing rules to figure out a result of a specific situation, it fails to be fun.

I tend to slip in and out of "Cinematic Mode" where I will narrate the action loosely based on the dice.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. The story (like the Spice) must flow.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not fear, for fear is the mind-killer....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: