The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Valley of the Jedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Valley of the Jedi Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Valley of the Jedi Reply with quote

So, I've read about the Valley of the Jedi, and I've even seen snippets of it in JK2: Jedi Oucast.

In Jedi Outcast Kyle Katarn steps into the pillar of power and regains all his Force power after years of not using them. Desann uses it to amplify his powers (even though he is Darkside and the Valley is a Lightside Nexus) and give a bunch of regular Joe's the power of the Force (making them instantly Force Sensitive and trinaed in lightsaber combat)...

Now, I'm not saying this is correct (after all it's a video game), nor am I saying that the Valley should have those powers or that what the books print is accurate...

I thought I'd simply ask you this:

What, if you put the Valley of the Jedi in your games, would you have it do for players who basked in its power?

"The boy is plain dagnasty evil!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think I could or would give it a set of abilities that I would apply to each game... it would be very specific for each game.

In my current campaign, I am running an all Jedi party, and it will make an appearance. However, it's not going to do them much good. However, the bad guy's might get some good use out of it, thats for sure.

I was originally planning the Nexus to give the PC a dream test like in the Dark side cave on Degobah. Pass, you get a bonus, fail...well... better luck next time.
Melorn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowledge as a goal/story starter, artifacts(lightsabers for examples, semi-broken holocrons), a force spirit with just enough left for a couple cryptic phrases.

Maybe since it's for light siders, healing and visions are boosted.

Makes me want to replay Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight and the expansion again. Though it makes me motion sick for some reason.
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Melorn wrote:
Though it makes me motion sick for some reason.

I've heard that a lot. Never happened to me though.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be loathe to have something like that in one of my games... yeah, it works ok, as a stretch, for a video game, but in terms of RPG... I dunno.

If I were to incorporate it, I'd try to keep the bonuses minimal... and/or temporary. Those without Force sensitivity gain it, and COntrol and Sense at 1 or 2D; Force sensitives get COntrol and Sense at a D higher than non-Sensitives, and Force Users gain an additional D or two in each Skill... but only for a while.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be a great Adventure or Campaign objective as perhaps the only surving accounts of the Valley of the Jedi date back to the Sith War for instance. Where is the Valley of the Jedi? Who knows, find the clues!

It would be great in a Classic Era campaign in which the PC party races against Palpatine's agents to find it, or maybe a quest in a Jedi Academy era campaign in which Master Skywalker sends some students.

I like it.

This is similiar to an idea I once had involving an artifact called the Manabon Amulet which would magnify a person's Force powers ten-fold. Light side characters raced against a Sith Lord I created named Darth Zeal. What Zeal did not know is that because it was oriented to the Light Side, it would destroy a Dark Side user instantly.
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the PCs in our game was a slave; eventually she would have been forced into the business of 'vice' had a pair of Jedi (a Master and Padawan) not discovered her Force sensitivity.

Recently, after being expelled from the order, her former master (the Padawan who discovered her) returned to her a locket that her owner on Onderon gave to the Jedi when they acquired her.

She researched and discovered the locket was a puzzle and when solved it revealed a star map that led to the planet of Russan where the Valley of the Jedi is located.

She traveled there and learned from a blue glowie force guy that she was a descendant of a long lost bloodline of guardians. The Guardians of the Valley, a sect of 'Jedi' whose purpose was to watch over the Valley and see to it that it never falls into the wrong hands.

To be accepted she must first pass a few tests, locating The Valley was the first and for that she received a boon.

The second is far more difficult because she cannot return to the Valley until she completes it. She must find three people who have 'lost the Force' and help them restore their link to it. In other words whatever wounds they suffered that caused them to turn their back on the Force she must help them heal it.

The third I dunno... I'm still thinking of it... maybe bring Anakin (the blue glowie she spoke to) some chinese take out or something...

For her 1st boon The Valley granted her +1D to all Force Skills. I'm not one for handing out stuff like that to players, but she's an excellent RPer, really hot, and has a great rack...

I'm such a pig...

However the Valley itself I played out like this:

Anyone who is not Force sensitive gains Force sensitivity as long as they remain within 100 meters of the central chamber. They lose this ability if the leave the area. This was actually RPed out very well by my group. They discussed how they could hear and see everything with more clarity and the onslaught of the entire galaxy speaking to them all at once was deafening and giving them a headache.

When they left the two characters that accompanied the ex-Jedi felt depressed and sorrowful. Saddened that they could no longer hear the galaxy they felt as if they had left behind a part of their soul.

Those who stood in the stream of energy who were not Force sensitive immediately became so. Those who were already Force sensitive with no Dark Side Points would feel ‘recharged’ and more at peace gaining D6 Force Points.

The ex-Jedi walked away with 10 Force Points (4 plus the 6 she gained from the stream) and she’s going to need them since she is on her way to battle Looh’ra, Astra, and a Sith Lord… alone.

Tomorrow nights game promises to be interesting.

Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revenant wrote:
I'm not one for handing out stuff like that to players, but she's an excellent RPer, really hot, and has a great rack...

We'll be the judge of that.... pics? Wink

Otherwise I would say that the bonuses fit as long as you're cool with them in the campaign. If I needed my players to be at a certain power level, then I would create situations that will give them a boost like +1D to all Force skills or maybe attribute dice or skill training.
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xynar wrote:
Revenant wrote:
I'm not one for handing out stuff like that to players, but she's an excellent RPer, really hot, and has a great rack...

Otherwise I would say that the bonuses fit as long as you're cool with them in the campaign. If I needed my players to be at a certain power level, then I would create situations that will give them a boost like +1D to all Force skills or maybe attribute dice or skill training.

This belongs in the cardinal rule post, but I suppose one might add:

No favoritism among PCs except for the one with a nice rack.
Laughing

Okay, I'm sorry, I'm really going to quit it this time...
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xynar wrote:

Oh, that'll go over well.

Rack: "What's with the camera Dave?"

Me: "Well, see there are these guys on the internet who are just as interested in your chest as I am... could you lift your shirt... just a bit... please? I'd appreciate it. This'll just take a sec..."

Quote:

My gaming group consists of women... I'm the only guy that plays. If I used this rule they'd know... and kill me.

Quote:
Okay, I'm sorry, I'm really going to quit it this time...

Uh huh... addicts say the same thing... heh.

Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revenant wrote:
Xynar wrote:

Oh, that'll go over well.

Rack: "What's with the camera Dave?"

Me: "Well, see there are these guys on the internet who are just as interested in your chest as I am... could you lift your shirt... just a bit... please? I'd appreciate it. This'll just take a sec..."

Rack: No way... unless theres extra force points in it for me
You: ummm... how about CP's instead.
Rack: No Dice.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:

Nah, with gamers, that can backfire on you. We have 4 guys (including myself) and one girl in our group, and the one with the best rack is me.
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

Nah, with gamers, that can backfire on you. We have 4 guys (including myself) and one girl in our group, and the one with the best rack is me.

Shocked
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revenant wrote:

My gaming group consists of women... I'm the only guy that plays. If I used this rule they'd know... and kill me.

Dude... I don't know if I should feel envious of you, or frightened for you... it boggles the mind, and begs the question: "How did THAT happen?"

masque wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

oh, wow. Shocked

Dude... there are some things we just DON'T need to know... and I think THAT was about 3 of them... Shocked
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to game conventions, there are lots of fat dudes in gaming. I'm just saying it's probably not a good guideline, Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: