The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How well known was Darth Vader?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How well known was Darth Vader? Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: How well known was Darth Vader? Reply with quote

I recall a thread about this in the past, but I thought I'd start a new one to see if opinions have changed any over time.

So, Darth Vader... known throughout the galaxy? Known only to those in certain circles? Icon of terror or military/politcal leader?

If people know of him, are opinions different between the coreward worlds and the outer ones?

Does the average citizen in the core know of Darth Vader? Does he know him as "Darth" or some other title? Does he know who Vader is, or has he just heard of him? Has he heard of Vader at all?

And the average Rebel, how much do they know about Vader?

The average Imperial?

I'm curious to see what the current prevalent thoughts and opinions are now.

Scott2978
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How well known was Darth Vader? Reply with quote

scott2978 wrote:
I recall a thread about this in the past, but I thought I'd start a new one to see if opinions have changed any over time.

So, Darth Vader... known throughout the galaxy? Known only to those in certain circles? Icon of terror or military/politcal leader?

Definitely icon of terror. The Emperor's Right Hand Man. Kind of like Himmler - Hitler's leader of the Shutzstaffel.

scott2978 wrote:
If people know of him, are opinions different between the coreward worlds and the outer ones?

I, personally, think that more people would know of him the closer to the core worlds. Much like the Emperor would be... as you go closer to the rim, there is less "law" there, and, as such, less "real" interference in those worlds at large...

scott2978 wrote:
Does the average citizen in the core know of Darth Vader? Does he know him as "Darth" or some other title? Does he know who Vader is, or has he just heard of him? Has he heard of Vader at all?

Again, most people would know his name, and that he's tight with the Emperor, but may not realize exactly how powerful (both politically and in the Force) he really is. He's big, bad, scary lookin', and he's got the Emperor's will on his mind and anger management problems... and if he shows up, you're basically in trouble...

scott2978 wrote:

"Oh, Shyte..." followed rapidly by either "RUN!!!!" or "Man... we are SOOO boned!!!"

scott2978 wrote:
The average Imperial?

Probably along the lines of when he shows up, you take orders from HIM, regardless of what anyone else says. And I'm thinkin' that he's pretty much the closest to having God on their side...

scott2978 wrote:
I'm curious to see what the current prevalent thoughts and opinions are now.

Scott2978

Those are my basic thoughts on the matter...
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So, Darth Vader... known throughout the galaxy? Known only to those in certain circles? Icon of terror or military/politcal leader?"

Likely spotted in the background at various events. Most likely people would think that's a really weird Enviromental Suit for a strange species.

In the Imperial Military, there's rumours about him, but he's not in "The Chain Of Command", so those that stick to "The Book" will treat him as just another REMF Politico.

"If people know of him, are opinions different between the coreward worlds and the outer ones?"

Most definetly. 'Bout the same opinion as the rest of the Empire.

Most probably don't know. Those that do will likely know him as "Lord Vader". Lord of what, who knows.

Pre-Yavin, not likely. Post-Yavin, yeah. And "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Sithspit!"

The average Imperial?

The Average Imperial wouldn't know about him, aside from the occasional shot of him standing behind The Emperor.

Those that do will probably see him as an example of the strength and security of the Empire.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah, I would have to agree with the other two... pretty much anyone who pays ANY attention to galactic affairs knows who Vader is, that he's an important government/military official and that he's generally associated with important events and that he's, at the least, dangerous.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
... at the least, dangerous.

I think the armour says that enough, all on it's own. Razz
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:

Pre-Yavin, not likely. Post-Yavin, yeah. And "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Sithspit!"

I didnt think he did anything at yavin to particularly stand out to the rebels... He was in a tie, and no one knows who was in the tie Razz

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that survivors of Vader encounters (like Luke who saw him kill Ben) would have made him quite well known after Yavin.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

Last edited by Esoomian on Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Rise of Darth Vader novel, which I admit has been a while since I've read it, Vader was a veil of mystery. Right after the end fo the clone wars a lot of the people questioned assumed he was a cyborg or droid akin to Grevious. Others thought a General or some other higher up Milatary leader, but the specifics we're not available.

He had to prove himself to the upper eshelons of the Imperial Army and Navy before they showed him the respect he wanted. Even 19 years later, at the beginning of ANH Vader's power was questioned by high ranking imperials.

Leia knew who Vader was, so it goes to assume that either the people of Alderan knew of him, or the Senate knew of him, or the Rebel Alliance knew of him. Did they know he was a Sith? *shrugs shoulders*

They did know that his presence meant bad times for those in his path.

He was known to the Bounty Hunter's guild, which probably means that he was known by a lot of the bad @$$'es around the galaxy.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in Wedges Gamble, they visit the museum and there's a big display on the battle of Endor which is narrated by Vader. I'd say that on Coruscant, he was pretty well known, considering he had his own massive palace.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 501'st legion was nicknamed Vader's Fist
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golbez wrote:
The 501'st legion was nicknamed Vader's Fist

I think to most of the other military units would have known them as just the 501st, and one of the best units in the galaxy. It probably wouldn't be until you joined the unit that you knew their nickname.

Just my thought on that.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
I didnt think he did anything at yavin to particularly stand out to the rebels... He was in a tie, and no one knows who was in the tie Razz

Actually, I would be refering to Princess Leia's report on how the Great General Ben Kenobi died.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
vong wrote:

Actually, I would be refering to Princess Leia's report on how the Great General Ben Kenobi died.

ahhh, very true. my bad.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
ahhh, very true. my bad.

Not to mention the whole Alderaan go KA-BLOOIE thing as well. That was was more Tarkin.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How well known was Darth Vader? Reply with quote

Ok, here's my take on it. I remember writing on that other old thread, but lets see if anything's changed:

Vader, at the time of the Rebellion (which is what it seems you're asking about) must be one of the most important individuals in the whole galaxy. I mean, he's the Emperor's first man! Of course, since he's shrowded in darkness and mistery, information on him will be sparse and faulty. I think most everyone in the "civilized" galaxy have heard of him or have seen his visage somewhere on the news. Most would be able to point to a picture and say: "that's that Vader dude". But misinformation would surely run rampant. The farthest you got from the core, the more vague people's knowledge would be, and fact would be equally mixed with myth and spacer's tales. However, the closer to the core, the more fact would be mixed with propaganda as well. So in the end I don't believe anyone would know the real truths about the guy.

In the core he would be viewed more as a political/military leader, a bastion of Imperial rule, someone to be respected and obeyed. Further out, his attrocities would be more well known and he would be more the icon of imperial terror, a stormcrow, so to say.

As for the Darth title, I don't think many people would know that. And even if they did, nobody would know that's a Sith title. I think nobody but a few select individuals know the Emperor and Vader to be Sith. The title Darth might leak here and there, but to little effect, I would imagine. Most would know him as Lord Vader, as if it's some kind of noble/military title.

I think Rebels would be very aware of Vader. Since the Emperor is the political figure, and never out on the field of battle, to the Rebels Vader would be the real chief enemy. The guy leading the assaults and all that. Tales of Vader's doings would surely circulate among troops.

Same thing for the Imperials. Vader is the guy who appears suddenly and shakes the whole chain of command. Vader is the guy to respect, obbey and fear.

At least that's my take on it. I like Vader, I think he's supposed to be important, he's supposed to matter. I hate some of these new stories that diminuish his character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: