The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New tech i have come up with..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> New tech i have come up with..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: New tech i have come up with.. Reply with quote

Now here is a list of general tech i have made.... the first is a take off, from battle tech of their C3 system.
C3 Targeting and Control System
The C3 unit is broken into 3 unit types. Master - workstation and slave.

The slaves are for star fighters; the workstations are for small cap ships/cargo ships while the masters are for medium and up cap ships. The benefits are as follows...
1) All ships in the fleet can use one another's targeting data. System; as long as a C3 unit is not being jammed, it can fire upon the target with the shortest-range modifiers.
2) A ship with sensors shorter range than some of their weapons ranges can still fire at long ranges, by using slave equipped snubs out expanding it's view.

Note any unit cut off from at least a workstation cannot participate (whether due to jamming or just out of range)
Range of the unit is how far it can 'control' others for the master and work station, for the slaves, how far apart they can be from one another and be linked.

Master: cost - 460,000 credits Range 240.
Can control up to 14 workstations and 36 slaves.
Workst: Cost - 120,000 credits Range 120
Can control up to 24 slaves
Slave: Cost 50,000 Range 40
Can have up to 4 controlling unit.....

Each master (usually on the main command ship) has 3 squadrons directly slaved to it for a fighter defense grid, and 14 picket ships as long range scanners. Each picket (workstation) has 2 squadrons linked into it, with 3 others in it's memory, so when one squadron goes out for what ever reason, a new one can be brought into the command field. As a slave can have 4 controllers, a squadron of fighters could have 3 pickets (workstations) and one command (master) over controller. This allows for all sensor and weapons data to be rotated through any of them....

Benefits of C3 link up.
Use of the closest range category to the target, of any 'ship' in the link for ALL weapons from any ship in the link. +1D of fire control for all weaponry on workstation equipped ships, and +2D of fire control for all
master equipped ships for all the weaponry.

GHOST ECM
This new piece of tech, was found, by the Ex-imperial scout Fenris, early on in his career, after a Navigational fubar. Fenris came out of hyperspace, well over 1 standard week from the edge of known space. He came upon a planet that was entirely mechanical, and had the bodies of living robots on. This and the below piece of tech was found in a building marked for technical research. It took Fenris and 8 of the NIF's greatest techs 3 years to make them work.
System: To operate, it requires the user make a difficult starship repair roll to activate. It will NOT WORK if the ship it's installed on is going over half its rated Sublight speed. If it does work, the ship will be undetected by ANY form of sensor system currently available. Although, visual spotting and Ion bursts can drop it, it will make any ship, "cloaked", without the penalty of hindering the ships own sensors (like the cloaking device Thrawn used). Only 7 ships currently have working units on, All 3 huntsman and monitor class Penetrator gun ships, and fenris's MRX-BR Pacifier, the behemoth.

CHAMELOID CLOAK.
See above for information on the discovery of this tech. This uses a closed loop 3D FDI holographic system to visually masks the ship it is on. It continually scans the sky/background, to get a current picture so it can mask the ship, making it "blend" in with wherever it is. Like the above ghost ECM, it will not work if a ship is going over 50% of its Sublight speed.
System: all that is required to activate it is the flipping of a switch. While it is up, the ship cannot move faster than half it's rated Sublight speed, Or use any energy based weapon system, or the masking effect is nullified. While, active, opponents are penalized by +2 column shifts on the difficulty scale (moderate to v.diff), or if at or above heroic, adds +15 to the search roll to spot. If this is combined with Ghost ECM, the ship will be undetectable by anything technological (although the force is unhindered). As above, it is only on 7 ships, and there are currently 6 additional units spare, but there is no price tag as these are not for sale.....

PULSE-BURST ION CANNONS
This, technically is not a new tech, as it is a refinement of old tech. Discovered during the Thrawn offensive by Lonar industries, it enhances regular ion cannons making them even deadlier. Lonar sold the design specs and all production models to Fenris after the imperials turned them down. Whether they kept any information is unknown.....
System: these come in 4 sizes, light, medium, heavy and planetary. To upgrade a regular ion cannon, costs 12,500/25,000/55,000/120,000 credits, but the cost is worth it. It also requires a difficult starship weapon repair roll to modify the weapons. Once done, the ion cannon's range is doubled (light, and medium), or increased by half (heavy and planetary), and the damage is increased to 5D+2/7D/9D/13D+2 respectively. It only uses 5% more energy than the standard ion cannon, and is less likely to break.

GRAVAMETRIC BOMBS
These bombs are nothing more than Geltiric gems (native to the Nistanni home planet) housed in a shell. When they are exploded or hit their target, they release a low-field EM burst, which causes the activation of any fault line in the area. If used against ships, it will do nothing other than shake it up.
System: while there are 3 scales of bombs, they all will only do a set 3D damage against ANY starship that DOES NOT HAVE AN ACTIVE gravity well projector. If the ship does have an active GWP, the damage is 10D, and this will also cause the projector to implode. This and the implosion is sufficient to destroy most capital ships of similar size to the interdictor. If used on a planet (or within the atmosphere of an asteroid), it causes an earthquake of the following intensity/size; star fighter scale - 4.8 Richter rated/3 miles, freighter scale - 5.2 Richter rated/4.5 miles, and capital scale - 6 Richter rated/6 miles. These do exponentially increase with one another as well as with ANY EXISTING FAULT LINE!!

EMP WAVE SHELLS
These missiles are nearly the same as the grav bombs, but they use the Tashiric gems, which are also found on the home planet of the Nistanni. Unlike the above gem, it causes an Electromagnetic pulse to emanate fourth after the gem is destroyed or crushed. Unlike the effect of an ion cannon, it will destroy any electronic circuitry that has power to it, EVEN those that are in standby mode.
System: There is only 1 scale of these shells, and the NIF has over 3,000 of them at their disposal. They do 7D ionization damage (effectively) to all ships and are not die capped for capital size. The radius of the wave is 5 space units. If used in an atmosphere, the damage and range increase to 10D/50 KM.

NOTE for DM's: All these technologies are for use in a game AFTER the Thrawn trilogy, and are in the control of the NIF. They do give the latter 2 techs to those who serve them, usually only 4 of each

And lastly a new missile type.
D.I.P.D (Dedicated Ionization Particle Director)
This new missile type came about during the early rebellion, but due to the acts of several brave Rebels, it did not get into mass production. Only about 400 ever made it off planet, but whether the plans did, is unknown. If a missile hits (std to hit roll), roll 8D. Roll the ships shields, and half it. Minus this from the 8d roll for the missile. The remaining is the number of 'flakes' that coat the ship. When the ship reaches a certain number of flakes (dependent on the prevailing weather conditions), a lightning bolt will hit it. It fires out of a standard concussion missile tube, but requires 900 credits worth of modifications to do so. Once the missile launcher is modified, it cannot be used to fire NORMAL concussion missiles. For 1500 credits, the modifications can be made to allow the interchangeability of the missile types.

Weather: none to light
250 flakes for a 5D bolt (all damage is star fighter scale)
275 for a 6d bolt
300 for 7d
325 for 8d
350+ for 3d capital scale

Weather: moderate
200 5d
225 6d
250 7d
275 8d
300+ 4d capital scale

Weather: Heavy
150 5d
175 6d
200 7d
225 8d
250 3d+2 Capital scale
275+ 4d+2 Capital scale

Weather: storm
75 5d
100 6d
125 7d
150 8d
175 4d capital scale
200 5d cap
225+ 6d cap

This heavier version of the above missile, distributes 10d flakes, rather than the normal 8d. It can only be launched from Modified proton torp launchers. The modifications cost is 1200 credits, or for 1800 credits the launcher can be made to fire either this missile type or normal torps.

As to how the flakes coat the ship, prior to the warhead being loaded into the launcher, the ships sensors scan the target ship to locate high pockets of heavy polarization. It then includes the reverse polarity into the flakes (which already are magnetic) so when the explosion flings them out,, they get drawn onto the ship. Even if they have shields up, the flakes coat them, 'waiting' to be drawn to the hull by the dropping of the shields. As they are as yet (in my games) known about, other than for the 4 ships who have fallen victim to them, and of course the people who made them, no one knows how to defeat it.
As for how to, if the ship's mechanic can locate this 'polarity' that is attracting, and somehow reverse it (Difficult diff [17], + 1 per 5 flakes coating the ship, so if the ship has currently 120 flakes, the roll is at +24), he can force them away.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It just isn't Star Wars." Is what I thought at first, but than did a little research.

This is really just an advanced form of "Slave Rigging", a name for remote controlling a ship.

There was an imperial commander who had to do this with his AT-AT and AT-ST walkers. He had many of them, but not enough pilots. So he had his engineers rig up systems where he only needed one pilot to control 10 AT-ATs. It was a smashing success for a while.

So taking it just one more step further, we have the C3 system. It's actually quite wonderful.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the reasoning i came up from it was from reading the Xwing novels. A number of times one ship uses the targeting data from another.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's some cool technology... now it's mine!
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminds me of something my GM threw at me.

A Juggernaught that had some extra armour welded to the front of it. It was piloted by an insane droid at an even more insane rate (Literally, the generator was overloading just from the energy going to the motors!).

But it could just as easily been remote controlled. Well, it could have, save that we had some *REALLY* good communication jamming going on.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. This sort of creativity adds to the game. Especially if a group opposing the PCs is armed with this exotic (unexpected) tech.
Kehlin Yew
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we invented our own cloaking system...
completely invis at any speed... but if any weapons are fired, breaking atmosphere, explosions, anything else that would bend light..(thats how we explain our cloaks to the newbie PCS, just the bending of light) makes a 'shimmer' in the cloak and you can see the ship.

then the "Redneck Cloak" we used on our space station.... 100km space station, we had paid a whoooole lotta people to tailor us a huge black piece of cloth... and we threw white splotches on it for stars...

then we actually got attacked one time, deployed the cloak from a tower on the station, using a complicated system of deployment,.. *shakes head* that was bad...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit to the DIPD missile.

And lastly a new missile type.
D.I.P.D (Dedicated Ionization Particle Director)
This new missile type came about during the early rebellion, but due to the acts of several brave Rebels, it did not get into mass production. Only about 400 ever made it off planet, but whether the plans did, is unknown. If a missile hits (std to hit roll), roll 8D. The targeted ship rolls hull and half their shields rating. They subtract this total from what the 8d gets. The remaining is the number of 'flakes' that coat the ship. When the ship reaches a certain number of flakes (dependent on the prevailing weather conditions), a lightning bolt stands a great chance of hitting it. For each round within or near the prevalant weather conditions, AND at or above the minimum flake level needed to summon a bolt, roll 2d. On a 11 or above the first round a bolt will strike the ship, causing the listed damage. Each additional round the 'target number' to call in a bolt of lightning drops by 1. The damage that is dealt is akin to ion damage but unlike regular ion weaponry, systems shutdown are shut down until replaced due to the electronics within it frying.
It fires out of a standard concussion missile tube, but requires 900 credits worth of modifications to do so. Once the missile launcher is modified, it cannot be used to fire NORMAL concussion missiles. For 1500 credits, the modifications can be made to allow the interchangeability of the missile types.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BattleTech.

Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time...a long time!

Remeniscing aside, I remember the C3 system fondly: my attempt at conversion kept it to the Master plus 3-4 other slave units for simplicity.
I've done a few 'mech conversions in the past, but that's another story...

I'll have to playtest some of these other goodies you've concocted. They look like just the thing to spring on complacent players Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh.. thanks Schnaarre
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: