The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starships Stats Discussion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Starships Stats Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Hawk Warboy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, excellent. Thanks, Ankhanu.
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Drake Starfighter is based on the ship pictured in the comic book Star Wars 27: Star Crash.
By number 45 this serie was known as Star Wars : Republic. Eventhough this number 27 has nothing related to the Republic and Clone Wars event.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so it's fanon then. Thanks.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:

Thanks for putting this up! I still tend to use Speed Dice for most games, but it's good to have the conversions onhand.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: 2nd R&E to Star Warriors Reply with quote

I know that the Rules Companion book has conversions from 1st Ed. stats to Star Warriors, but they left out directions for how to include turn numbers. Has anyone ever developed a system for converting 2nd R&E starship stats to Star Warriors?
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check it out when I can (not sure how long that'll be though), since I've got both.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the conversion document I created a while ago. It includes all the official conversion forms, and also my own additions, based on the Star Warriors stats in existance.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UBFP3HOJ

Enjoy.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gry! How did you put this together?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking about the Turn Number conversion table, it was quite a bit of work. I gathered all the Star Warriors ships stats that had been published, and compared the ship's Turn Numbers with their D6 Maneuverability rating. I put all that in a table and started ironing it out and filling the blanks. Weapon ranges is simply applying the weapon's D6 ranges to a measure of 400m per space unit.

Hope you enjoy it.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was the turn numbers I was particularly interested in. I still have a few questions - it might help to use an example - say the X-Wing:
Speed/Space: 1st Ed=4D, 2nd R&E=8
Maneuverability: 3d

So for your Star Warriors conversion, Does a "Space" value of 8 correspond with a Star Warriors maximum speed of 8 (up to 10 using double overspeed)? Then I just look at the row with the 3D heading, and use those entries for turn numbers for each column, up to the 10th column? (i.e. at speed of 1, turn # is 1; speed 7, turn # is 5)?

Are the turn numbers listed for the normal or advanced Star Warriors rules (hex sides only, or sides and vertices)?

For the "Weapons Ranges" chart in your Word doc, is this the equivalent of the "Gunnery Values Chart (3.52)" in Star Warriors? For the X-Wings 4 laser cannons, with Space Range = 1-3/12/25, why are there difficulty numbers out to a range of 6 hex spaces (instead of 5 for standard Star Warriors rules, or 10 for advanced)? The difficulty numbers don't appear to be the same as for Star Warriors QMF guns in Chart 3.52.

What is the significance of the bold face type in your charts?

Finally, I have a question/suggestion/comment about Prequel starfighters vs. Original Trilogy starfighters, with respect to your pdf Starship Sourcebook, if you do start another iteration. In comparing the stats of the ARC-170 from the prequels to an X-Wing, the speed and maneuverability are identical, weapons are comparable, and the hull code is higher for the older ARC-170. Shouldn't the X-Wing stats be better, given that it's a later version starfighter?

Thanks again for your responses - it's amazing how much work you've done on this. Hasn't Wizards of the Coast been trying to hire you yet?!
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good Gry! I'll have to try this out--a busy week prevented my trying conversions out.

Aside from scaling-up the lethality of Starfighter combat (roll of '12' is an automatic "Make a Survival roll please"), it's a good visual aid. The pics in the front of the Star Warriors rule book are the exact same size as the counters, so they can be copied ad nausium for major battles!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see if I can remember my reasonings, it's been over a year since I last looked at that.

A Space of 8 corresponds to a Max Speed of 6 (up to 8 with double overspeed). And you are correct on Turn Numbers.

Turn Numbers are listed for normal Star Warriors hex rules.

As for weapon ranges, I discarded the standard values and instead applied the RPG values to the grid, so it's more flexible and varied. Wherever I could I tried bringing Star Warriors closer to the RPG rules.

Bold type weapon ranges are there just to make it easier to find the most common ranges (ion, laser and my own personal use for missiles).

Now, regarding the balance between prequel and classic trilogy ships, well, it's a pickle. First of all, those are conversions, so blame it on Wizards. Second, who's to say an older ships can't be better than a new one? Star Wars technology seems to be in a rather static place from Old Republic to New Republic, things don't look to be changing as rapidly as, say, our own real 100 years past.

No, no job offers so far. Still waiting on that call. Boy, wouldn't that be nice...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, if you`re using Star Warriors, you do have my custom-made starships stat-sheet, don't you?
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Gry!

Ah, so you're assuming 1 space = 100 m, and 1 Star Warriors hexagon = 400 m. So 1 hexagon = 4 space. The chart makes sense now.

Star Warriors Max Speed is always 2 less than 2nd R&E Space, using your assumptions, right?

That's an interesting thought on the Old to New Republic technology differences. I guess that kind of makes sense, although why transition to lesser capability ships? Maybe it's kind of a Tolkien-esque tip-of-the-hat to a nostalgic view of earlier times, and lost knowledge after the fall of the Old Republic. Or maybe not. Smile

So did Wizards produce an official set of conversions from D6 to D20 that you can use backwards? I've seen different D6 converted stats for Wizards material, and I just assumed it was a fan-based conversion.

I think I have your starship stat sheet - is it titled "Gry Sarth Control Sheet 2007-01-05.jpg"? I guess I might have titled it that. It looks very professional.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before you get the call from Wizards. Good luck with whatever you do for a living in the meantime, and thanks again for your helpful responses!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: