The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starships Stats Discussion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Starships Stats Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Ah, so you're assuming 1 space = 100 m, and 1 Star Warriors hexagon = 400 m. So 1 hexagon = 4 space. The chart makes sense now.

Yeah, I think that's pretty much it.

Red 331 wrote:
Star Warriors Max Speed is always 2 less than 2nd R&E Space, using your assumptions, right?

Not really. Not sure why, but Star Warriors speeds are scaled differently, probably to limit the movement of the map. So, if you look, a Space of 2 means a max Speed of 2, but a Space of 16 means a Max Speed of 12.

Red 331 wrote:
That's an interesting thought on the Old to New Republic technology differences. I guess that kind of makes sense, although why transition to lesser capability ships? Maybe it's kind of a Tolkien-esque tip-of-the-hat to a nostalgic view of earlier times, and lost knowledge after the fall of the Old Republic. Or maybe not. Smile

Sure, why not. Plus, the Clone Wars was a full-blown galactic conflict, so technology thrives in such times and money flows more freely. The Rebellion was more of an underground thing, so it's understandable if the machinery used is not that good...

Red 331 wrote:
So did Wizards produce an official set of conversions from D6 to D20 that you can use backwards? I've seen different D6 converted stats for Wizards material, and I just assumed it was a fan-based conversion.

They did produce a conversion guideline, though it was a bit skittish. Gary Astleford (who now works for them) produced a much more complete one which is what most people use. Still, there's a fair bit of guesswork and common sense required to producing conversions, it's not clear-cut at all, so variations are possible.

Red 331 wrote:
I think I have your starship stat sheet - is it titled "Gry Sarth Control Sheet 2007-01-05.jpg"? I guess I might have titled it that. It looks very professional.

Well, my file is certainly not called that, but if it's a gray starship stat-sheet, with little buttons for the maneuvers and levers for energy control and shields, that's it.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Wizard and Astelford conversions available for download somewhere?

Yes, it looks like I have your starship stat-sheet.

Back to the original topic of this post, other than removal of any fan-made ships, and inclusion of a few new ones, what other changes would you like to see with a new update to your Starship Stats Book?
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find Gary's work on the Rebellion website. Just do a google search for D20 to D6 conversion and look for the Rebellion.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can just go here:

http://www.verminary.com/rebellion/

Though I've incorporated or used as a basis all of his pertinent stats for my books.

As for a new edition of the Starships book. Well, other than the removal of those fan-made ships, I think it would just be pretty much an update. There would be a few corrections to old ships, replace some images with better ones that have since appeared, some new deckplans, new d20 conversions and new fan-made stats for other unstatted ships. The difference wouldn't be as great as the difference between the original edition and the "revised & expanded". I don't think I would include any major new feature, like the inclusion of fluff text or whatever. Though I was thinking of creating a completely new layout for the thing...
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about including some set of special rules related to starships like those found in the Pirates & Privateer sourcebook? i.e blaster gas for turbolaser, energy redirection, systems call shot...
And/or, add the stats of the various engines available for sale found in GG6. I know they have their part in the Equipment Statbook but it's nice to have everything related to the same subject at hand.
Just my two cents.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the main thing is: the Starships Stats book is already big enough. In fact I think it's already clumsily huge, which is why I'm always searching for ways to cut it down. So I don't want to start including more things than, well, starships stats.

I remember there was a project floating around of a an "optional rules" sourcebook, which would be the right place for such things to go.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your plans for the updated Starship Stats book sound Good, Gry, and I agree about limiting it only to official starship stats.

I suggested the creation of an "Optional Rules" Sourcebook a while back:

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1803&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It hasn't really taken off yet, but there is a thread in place, and a suggestion as to how things might get started.

I'm curious, Gry - how do you develop D6 stats for video game-based vehicles, as you did with the Sundered Heart earlier in this thread? Are these from some WoC materials somewhere, or did you just develop them yourself?
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I read all the info I could find on the ship (pretty much just wookieepedia) and developed the stats from that, as well as some guess-work from staring at the picture. I started with the official Corvette stats and modified it accordingly. WOTC had nothing to do with it.
Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on A RP A-wing Veriant for a updated Stat book? Little faster throw in those concussion missiles. I've got some ideas if you dare to have a gander.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might add a note about the possibility of a missile launcher, but I'm not touching the speed. WEG established it very clearly, so i'm leaving it as is.
Kirkler
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well as long as those missiles are an option. I don't under stand why in the movies and in the books they have missiles but in WEG they had a jammer.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably differing versions, but only one listed. I didn't mind the reduction in opponents' Fire Control honestly, but the hitting power of missilery argues for itself.

A while back I did an A-Wing variant that removed the Shield generator for improved sensors, sensor masking (a la Svelte-class craft), & a x1/2 Hyperdrive. Was a fabulous scout! Very Happy
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry - if you do decide to do an updated doc, I think it would be nice if you indicated somehow in the "Source" field those ships for which you developed stats yourself (i.e. video game - based ships).

It would also be nice if page numbers were included for all references.

Easy for me to suggest these things, since I wouldn't have to do the work!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if an item doesn't have a source listed, then you can assume the stats are fanmade. Simple as that.

I included page numbers wherever a page number was available. Sometimes the item is on supplemental material for the book, which is not numbererd.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a first edition of Tramp Freighter source book. Cruiser class 1000 has Hull 5D and shield 2D.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: