The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Y-Wing News
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Y-Wing News Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Y-Wing News Reply with quote

The official site just posted a concept drawing of an "early Republic version of the classic Y-Wing" that will appear in the new Clone Wars cartoon:

That's very cool, but it raises a few issues.

Right of the bat it renders the brand new "Starships of the Galaxy" book outdated. If the Republic employed Y-Wings during the Clone Wars, then this statement from the book is contradicted: "...the Y-wing was designed to be used in the Clone Wars, but wasn't in production until after that conflict ended." Hehe, they could have given the guys at Wizards a heads up...

Then there's the important question, is this a different ship from the Y-Wing we know and love or is it the same thing, only with some cosmetic differences? My opinion is that this look simply replaces what the Incredible Cross Sections book presented as the "original, stock, unmodified, out-of-the-box, you don't see those anymore" Y-Wing. Meaning an Y-Wing with lots of added coverings and plates:

Whether this is the case, or if this is some "proto Y-Wing", would it require modified stats?

What is YOUR opinion?

Last edited by Gry Sarth on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do hate the propensity for retcon that the owners of the Star Wars franchise have... "Hey! We have something that's awesome and people love that has a relatively stable continuity... let's destroy it!!"

Um, I think the only thing I might do to change the stats for this thing would be to slow it down a space and maybe reduce the maneuverability a bit for the added weight of all the extra panelling and maintain some reason as to why they would be stripped down in the future. Maybe increase the cost as well to reflect the extra materials.

That said, it does look kinda neat... but more as a Y-wing revision than a Y-Wing precursor.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, it does look neat, but it does look more like a "prototype drawing" then something that would have actually made it out into production.

im willing to chalk it up to "it was ready to go to production, but the war ended and the project scrapped"

It would be interesting to get a hold of one in the later years, for the fun of messing with the imps minds

"What the H*** is that" "umm it appears to be a crappy y-wing" "hold fire, hes worse off being alive"

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Xenon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's a craft from which Koensayr developed the later Y-wing. It makes sense, seeing that basically: ARC + Z-95 -> X-wing and V-wing + Actis Interceptor -> TIE Fighter.

Therefore, the book isn't automatically outdated, unless this one is called a Y-wing. According to the notes, I'd say it will be called Delta-wing or something like that. It could even be much more different in the end, since this is only concept art.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, so far it seem to be called a Y-Wing, maybe Delta version or something...
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
I really do hate the propensity for retcon that the owners of the Star Wars franchise have... "Hey! We have something that's awesome and people love that has a relatively stable continuity... let's destroy it!!"

Too true....too true. That's one of the things that really turning me off of some of the conversions. I don't fault the people converting them, as they're just using stats already made and converting. But why in the world is nearly everything in the past stronger, faster, more durable and more powerful than things later on (as presented in the Original Trilogy)?

Its like Star Wars is turning into Rifts, with each later product creating or modifying things to more powerful versions of itself just so you can always have the "more awesome" thing to use in the new books. Rolling Eyes

It all leads to the question of whether you want to keep updating, changing and retconning everything as WOTC releases new books that mess with stuff put out before.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is WOTC's way of doing things. Look at D&D Every new book adds something more and more powerful.

So now they do that with star wars

Its a good business model, so all the players have to keep buying more and more crap Razz

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. This looks like actually something not just produced by Koensayr, but a BTL-series fighter.

It doesn't have to be more AWESOME than the current crop of BTL fighters in the OT, but it is the same type of fighter.

It has the same overall shape of the spacecraft, with fairings and extra equipment installed. The fairings could be coverings for extra equipment like missile launchers, ECM, extra fuel tanks or enhanced sensors.

The fairings aren't primary structure, so the Y-wings can be flown with the fairings removed as seen in the movies, if the special equipment aren't installed. As long as the primary structure of the spaceframe is intact (which I would guess is the basic internal Y shape of the fighter) the craft is airworthy

In fact, both versions can exist simultaneously. The one in the cross sections book can be the one with extra equipment removed and fairings are used to cover the bare minimum shape of the fighter, as opposed to the movie where the fairings are off. The rebels are working on a budget, after all.

For a real world analog, check out these two pictures of the Eurocopter Super Puma:

http://www.canit.se/~griffon/aviation/img/ljungbyhed96/hkp10_puma.jpg

http://www.swiss-airshow.ch/Helicopter/Super_Puma/Images/Super%20Puma-9s.jpg

The first image has extra coverings on the helicopter's floatation equipment at the nose and on the sponsons at either side because its role over the sea. You can argue the Y-wing pictured above is an extreme case of needing fairings to cover its specialized equipment.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd call this a prototype as opposed to the production model. If anything it appears "Crude" compared to the Y-Wing we're familiar with: less speed & maneuverability are certainly good options here.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like it should be the y-wing with extra armor.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a heavy BTL-Series with a full ball turret rather than just the swivel turret. Heavier power generator as well, or a larger bomb bay.

Easily could be a production varient. Like a Mosquito Fighter-Bomber with an extra Ball Turret.

Or, as suggested earlier, just more fairings included for more armour that were removed by Rebel Techs.
Hawk Warboy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, this could be a individual advanced prototype, perhaps one- (or a few-) of-a-kind, like Vader's EpIV TIE...

Just because something's pretty, don't necessarily mean anything about it's performance, as well (in relation to the power question). Although, to be sure, Wizards is a massive power-inflation backer.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind this has nothing to do with Wizards; it's a Lucas Film thing regarding the upcoming cartoon.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Hawk Warboy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, I just felt like a cheap slam on Wizards. Twisted Evil
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawk Warboy wrote:
Agreed, I just felt like a cheap slam on Wizards. Twisted Evil

Been there! Done that! Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: