The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

WEG for sale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> WEG for sale Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: WEG for sale Reply with quote

http://www.westendgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4620

Apparently the new owner has been having a tough time on gaming forums or something, and has mismanaged the company...

What a sad end to a once great company... At this point, I'd like Wizards to scoop them up, and release SW stuff under the WEG name... go full circle, Galaxy Guides and stuff... even if it is D20 stuff....

What a sad end.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: WEG for sale Reply with quote

ebertran wrote:

What a sad end to a once great company... At this point, I'd like Wizards to scoop them up, and release SW stuff under the WEG name... go full circle, Galaxy Guides and stuff... even if it is D20 stuff....

What a sad end.

YEah.... putting WEG under WOTC d20 WOULD be a sad end.

As it is, I've seen bits and pieces of what's going on. Suffice to say, Hellsreach (Owner/Boss of WEG) has had a lot of bad luck lately. The "mismanagement" you speak of is partly due to the fact that they were going to release a MAJOR supplement (Septimus) and took about $5500 in preorders. Then something happened, and they decided that it wasn't going to be put out after all. So... WEG got left holding the bag on a lot of small debts.

From what I understand in reading posts and such Hellsreach put a sizable amount of his own money into the company. When Septimus failed... well, it is HIS company...

Personally, if I had the money, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, and work on King George returning SWd6 back to where it SHOULD be...
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it goes to a worthy, business savvy fan who picks up oodles of licenses, hires back the best of the old faces and some new ones too and somehow all of this revives roleplaying as a whole.

BTW: When that happens, I'll buy them breakfast at Milliways
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabre wrote:
I hope it goes to a worthy, business savvy fan who picks up oodles of licenses, hires back the best of the old faces and some new ones too and somehow all of this revives roleplaying as a whole.

BTW: When that happens, I'll buy them breakfast at Milliways

That'd be nice. Right now, there's rumors of Steve Jackson picking up some of the IP, Torg supposedly, based on an old offer he made. Dunno how true it is, but I generally like what Evil Stevie does, enough that I volunteer demo for the company.

Me, I'd like to see someone take the D6 system and make it open, either with OGL or some other license. I like the idea of the OGL, but I've never liked the D20 system. I'd love to see lots of people able to take D6 and use it for creative new systems, it's always been in my top 3 rulesets (the other classic favorite of mine being MERP, now improved as HARP, and of late the third being a tie between GUMSHOE and ORE).
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
Me, I'd like to see someone take the D6 system and make it open, either with OGL or some other license. I like the idea of the OGL, but I've never liked the D20 system. I'd love to see lots of people able to take D6 and use it for creative new systems, it's always been in my top 3 rulesets (the other classic favorite of mine being MERP, now improved as HARP, and of late the third being a tie between GUMSHOE and ORE).

Actually, before this all went ka-put, that's what Eric was planning to do. To be honest, if I'm reading right, he's STILL planning on doing it.

Of course, it'll just be open source for the d6 system, NOT the specific games under WEG.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsiberDragon wrote:

Of course, it'll just be open source for the d6 system, NOT the specific games under WEG.

Sure. I don't mind that, though, I would love to see more D6 games out there, I might even try my hand at one myself.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEG's Star Wars really got me more into RPGs than other systems. I join the crowd in hoping things go well!
The Game Guy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
WEG's Star Wars really got me more into RPGs than other systems. I join the crowd in hoping things go well!

I hope something good comes from the sale and they can get back on track.

I would love for them to get SW again but I just don't see that happening sadly.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that ship has sailed a long time ago.
The Game Guy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Yeah, that ship has sailed a long time ago.

I would love to see Star Wars back with WEG and a new version of D6 SW happening but I dont see it happening
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding. It's a wonderful dream, but it's not one that's likely to come true.
Jedi Schrute
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There an echo in here...?
The Game Guy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as for the sale of WEG all I can say is that it is in the process. Since Hellsreach/Eric Gibson is in my gaming group we all got together and had dinner about a week ago.

While I am not sure I can repeat everything that was said the process is happening.
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:

Me too, on both accounts. I have three favorite RPG systems: D6 for it's superior simplicity and elegant story-telling, MERP/Rolemaster for the criticals (always fun), and HERO/Champions for a really framework system.

-shnar
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never played HERO, but I have GURPS, which I dig a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: