The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Firearms ammo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Firearms ammo Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there are diffrent sorts of rounds for firearms?
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bet!
explosive rounds, armor piercers...
Just ask Crell.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, armor piercing is -1D off of an opponent's armor bonus (against physical of course Razz) and explosive tipped is +1D damage, you put that in a morellian enforcer and woooooh stay out of the way of those 4 rounds Razz

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that irked me was firearms, you would figure in a galaxy with their kind of technology they would invent some different types of rounds that could off-set some of the drawbacks of them.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've got Armor piercing and high explosive (detonite tipped) firearms rounds

Armor Piercing: -1D to physical armor soak
Detonite Tipped: +1D damage

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One would think with some of the versatility of projectile weapons that they could and would invent some more that 2 types of ammunition.
Hell, even I can think of 5 or 6 just off the top of my head.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then make 'em Razz

besides, in the long run blasters are more effective, firearms are cool and all... but any guy wearing armor is less affected by physical damage than energy...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I agree that generally blasters are much more effective, sometimes for “special” occasions the versatility of some sort of projectile weapon would come in handy.

I will don’t you worry, I’m going to have fun with my buddies Jedi…”block this, butt-wad!”
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use a morellian enforcer Very Happy
6D+1 base damage if i'm correct... yep... 6D+1... hook that bad boy up with fireball rounds or something... that'd be sweet

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking Cortosis rounds for Jedi to play with. Twisted Evil

I'm going to be all over these rounds.
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
The one thing that irked me was firearms, you would figure in a galaxy with their kind of technology they would invent some different types of rounds that could off-set some of the drawbacks of them.

I think one reason the books don't have more types of ammo available for firearms is that firearms are basically archaic weapons in the Star Wars universe. Maybe at one time different types of ammo were more prevalent when firearms were widely used, but there just isn't the demand for it anymore. Very Happy

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go with that, Loc.

So far, my group faced two different forms of firearms.

One of the PCs was stuck for years on a planet that prevented electrical devices from working. He juryrigged steampowered... Everything, really (Although he did figure out how to get an alien equivilent of a Ford F-350 Diesel Engine working again... As long as he had a hill to push it down.). He packs what the GM titled the "Indy", or "A Gun Just Like The One Indiana Jones Carries". I looked it up (Being the group's researcher), and found out that it was a Revolver made during WWI (And a little bit in WWII) that was chambred in .45 ACP. In the game, it's much, much bigger and more powerful (And scary *LOUD*!!!). We have since had earplugs designed to filter out the noise to prevent hearing loss. Paid through the nose for it as well... But worth it.

Next time we faced one, it was a Smoothbore Cap & Ball Black Powder Single Shot Pistol in some unknown (But big) calibre. Our resident "Big Rodian With Bigger Guns" took a shot from it in his Power Armor... And... In *FRONT* of the GM screen so there was no fudging... The round did serious damage to him and his suit. Were it not for the Jedi, it would have been doubtful that he'd have ever spoken again (Shot hit right in the Voice Box!!!). "Ummm... It wasn't quite Lead, nor was it quite Gunpowder" as the GM put it, mildly.

And, once, when GMing, I had an NPC pull out a surprise on some Bodyguards with a SMG (Described as a "Superchromed H&K MP-5"), and had him fire that out the back end of the Golf Cart.

You can just see it... Two guys, in Golf Outfits (Traditional no less, KILTS!!!), driving away as fast as possible in a Golf Cart with bullets blazing!!!

Yes, I'm a sick, sick person.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, every weapon has its merits and flaws, and there is no “do it all well” gun out there.

Blasters are efficient, destructive, reliable, light, and have tons of ammo.

Projectile weapons have versatility because of their option for different types of ammo, but they are heavy, temperamental (compared to blasters), and have a very limited amount of munitions.

I mean if I was a sniper, I would most definitely choose to use a gauss weapon, but if I was frontline soldier it would be blasters all the way.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one guy in my game who only used firearms... he had 2 slugpistols (4D), 1 submachine gun (4D but had burst fire), and a 10 gauge shotgun (5D)
they're kinda cool weapons... but he usually only has one full load for the shotgun, 1 spare magazine for the subby and the 2 pistols (each)

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thats the trade off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: