The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Yoda with a darkside point?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Yoda with a darkside point? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Yoda with a darkside point? Reply with quote

I know that the WEG material stopped printing before the prequel trilogy, but I was wondering a couple of things.

In RotS, both Yoda and Obi-Wan use the force to attack someone. Yoda uses it against Sidious, and Obi-Wan uses it against General Grevious, who is technically still living and breathing (No matter how badly this part is, it's still true)

I was just wondering what you guy thought about this?
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If memory serves, both of them were attacked and defending themselves, so therefor, it's ok... no DSP...
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember it saying in the description for Telekinesis "Anytime this power is used to attack someone the user gets a Darkside point"
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jedi Schrute
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a Squib on Tatooine named Mace Windu...but in the movies he turned into a purple saber wielding badass with a penchant for quoting Ezekiel and eating a royale with cheese. Point being, Lucas don't pay no mind to WEG's rules.
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very true. I also don't follow the rules in the WEG books about the force being so black and white, much more like they are in the newer movies.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, by the old rules and understanding of the Force, they would accrue DSPs for a couple of their Force attacks.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see Yoda on the darkside
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are shades of grey in the force- remember, it all depends on one's point of view.

In my mind, if a Jedi uses TK to injure someone, the Jedi only gets a DSP if the intent was malicious or unwarranted.

If Jedi got DSPs for using the force to injure, Lightsaber Combat would be the end of most Jedi....
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
There are shades of grey in the force- remember, it all depends on one's point of view.

In my mind, if a Jedi uses TK to injure someone, the Jedi only gets a DSP if the intent was malicious or unwarranted.

If Jedi got DSPs for using the force to injure, Lightsaber Combat would be the end of most Jedi....

I also believe this is true, but in the books there isn't room for gray. Everything is black and white, the force included. All force powers that in and of themselves injure someone give the user a darkside point regardless of intent. Me and my group have changed this ruling, to make the force in our games have much more a gray area.

Last edited by DarthMortis on Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoda probably has 20 years to atone for the DSP. Come to think of it, there's no reason to think he hasn't acquired and lost a DSP or two in his 900 years.
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would surmise Yoda's dark side point comes from turning Luke into a weapon of revenge against the Emperor and his own father. Yoda and Obiwan were both opposed to the idea or even the possibility of Luke redeeming Vader and withheld from him certain truths they feared could affect his loyalty to their cause.

But that's just a guess. Yoda lived 900 years. Who knows what mistakes a guy can make in that amount of time?
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabre wrote:
I would surmise Yoda's dark side point comes from turning Luke into a weapon of revenge against the Emperor and his own father. Yoda and Obiwan were both opposed to the idea or even the possibility of Luke redeeming Vader and withheld from him certain truths they feared could affect his loyalty to their cause.

But that's just a guess. Yoda lived 900 years. Who knows what mistakes a guy can make in that amount of time?

I don't really think that Yoda would get a Darkside point for not telling Luke that his dad was Vader, as well as training him in the ways of the force. It was better for the galaxy at large that Palpatine was killed and that the Empire lost control of the galaxy. It says no where in the book that you get a Darkside point for lying, or telling half truths "Your father was killed by Darth Vader." Is pretty true, Vader himself says that the name Anakin means nothing to him anymore
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS they say, many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon one's point of view. I'm not sure that Obi-wan nor Yoda were exactly deceptive in how they handled the situation.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
AS they say, many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon one's point of view. I'm not sure that Obi-wan nor Yoda were exactly deceptive in how they handled the situation.

Anakin Skywalker wrote:
"From my point of view, the Jedi are evil!"

Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthMortis wrote:
I don't really think that Yoda would get a Darkside point for not telling Luke that his dad was Vader, as well as training him in the ways of the force. It was better for the galaxy at large that Palpatine was killed and that the Empire lost control of the galaxy. It says no where in the book that you get a Darkside point for lying, or telling half truths "Your father was killed by Darth Vader." Is pretty true, Vader himself says that the name Anakin means nothing to him anymore

So, he was just going to mention that Vader used to be Anakin Skywalker AFTER Luke killed him?

I guess it's best not to chance Luke not sharing the view that they aren't the same person, since Yoda wanted Palpatine and Vader dead. Trivial details like 'I'm sending you to kill your dad' can wait for after the deed is done. No way he'll be upset about it, right? I mean, the guy is beyond redemption, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: