The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Adventure Journals
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Adventure Journals Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Schrute
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Adventure Journals Reply with quote

I was thumbing through some of the adventure journals I had recently purchased and am always amazed at some of the unique ideas, settings and characters people come up with for SWRPG. It occurred to me, after I realized the AJs only spanned, I think, 15 editions, that this format shouldn't end. The AJs have provided us with a ton of material that's become everyday use in SWRPG.
I was just wondering if anyone around would be interested in compiling something similiar to an Adventure Journal. I know a lot of you have homebrew species, rules, adventure ideas, characters, etc. I've come up with a few things myself and can edit anything as well. So...what am saying is....who's comin' with me, huh? Who's comin' with me?
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in receiving this sort of product, but I've seen similar efforts come and go.

The one who managed this would have to be vigilant, single-minded, abundantly available, totally dedicated, and annoying as a squib on stims to chase down contributors and hold them to the fire to produce material, then advertise the final product with the tenacity of an email spammer to every RPG community on the net to round up people still interested in pen&paper RPGs, the Star Wars setting and the D6 system, and the only rewards there would be to look forward to would be potential harassment from the license holders, and the chance to do it all over again for the next issue (which you better deliver on a timely schedule or you'll hemorrhage interest).

I don't mean to discourage this at all, because it was a great idea then and could be great again, but know that you are opening a can of worms that runs so deep it may seem bottomless.

Best of luck.
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest thing I think would be to create a Wiki site that allowed contributors to post their information up in a more organized fashion. Then, you could create a monthly newsletter that highlighted the latest contributions. Would be cool if contributions could be rated too, both along the lines of Useful and Canonical.

Some ideas are going to be waaaay out as far as "canon" is concerned, but still very useful ideas for roleplaying, and if your campaign doesn't mind that, then go with it. Like, I saw a Star Wars:Earth module somewhere (don't remember name), but the idea that the Empire came ot our galaxy in our time, so they had stats for earth guns and equipment, etc. That'd definately go in something like the Adventure Journals, and would fit nicely on a Wiki site, though the canon would be questionable.

-shnar
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shnar wrote:
The easiest thing I think would be to create a Wiki site that allowed contributors to post their information up in a more organized fashion. Then, you could create a monthly newsletter that highlighted the latest contributions. Would be cool if contributions could be rated too, both along the lines of Useful and Canonical.

Some ideas are going to be waaaay out as far as "canon" is concerned, but still very useful ideas for roleplaying, and if your campaign doesn't mind that, then go with it. Like, I saw a Star Wars:Earth module somewhere (don't remember name), but the idea that the Empire came ot our galaxy in our time, so they had stats for earth guns and equipment, etc. That'd definately go in something like the Adventure Journals, and would fit nicely on a Wiki site, though the canon would be questionable.

-shnar

I'd gladly put up my wiki for this... it's essentially what I was starting to do with it... until my Masters thesis completely ate my "free" time.

I am interested in taking part as well... in the next few weeks anyway. I expect to have my thesis defended by January, which will free up a lot of time.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a series of 4 (I think) Star Wars RPG Online Journal produced in pdf around the time AOTC was released. They were made by members of the Holonet Forums with art by SWAG illustrators, albeit these also had d20 stats as well as D6. I wonder if there are copies still online for download.

Edit: Sorry. I believe the second volume was produced as pdfs. When you printed and bound it, it looks awesome in your hands. The first volume was only on the web and was only in D6 IIRC - all long gone by now. I just did a Google search for it. It was created originally in the spirit of WEG's Adventure Journal.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted it once before and here it is again.

SW Online Journal
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xynar wrote:
I posted it once before and here it is again.

SW Online Journal

Woot! Thanks, Xynar.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea. It'll be hard as an editor. But I've got things I'm willing to contribute. However, the problem is that the main contributors around here are already working on converting two or three WotC books, and finishing a RotS book.

I think that there is a niche for the thing you want to do. Heck, I've even thought about trying to get this going myself. We all do adventures, campaign settings, and things of that sort. It would just take time for people to write it up and submit it.

Art would be hard. I haven't seen any artists around here for a LONG time.

But, still, I like the idea. Would you help with the RotS book until we can get that done? Once we get that done, I'd be more than happy to help you with your idea.
Jedi Schrute
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stoked there's a lot of interest in the idea. I think Shnar Ankhanu's got a great idea with the wiki style and the newsletter.

I'd be more than happy to help with the RotS book, Cheshire, editing is my specialty, and I can help with anything else too. PM me the details
obidancer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

"Sometimes seeing is just a matter of looking"

Characters from the Thractin Campaign on this site

My latest pieces:
portait of Axel Stone;
portait of Fatt Tingstown;

So I'm sure there are artists around... Wink

I'm sure with some time and appropriate request I could contribute to some pieces for the Journal.
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, there are probably a lot of us artists hiding out who would be more than willing to chip in pics they may have...

-shnar
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obidancer wrote:
cheshire wrote:

"Sometimes seeing is just a matter of looking"

Characters from the Thractin Campaign on this site

My latest pieces:
portait of Axel Stone;
portait of Fatt Tingstown;

So I'm sure there are artists around... Wink

I'm sure with some time and appropriate request I could contribute to some pieces for the Journal.

I requested a character drawing for my character that I am currently playing (Daroth Mortanis) and all I got was " Go to this site" which I did, signed up for. And still haven't gotten any responses. -.-;...sorry.

I would like to see some more Adventure Journals.

"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LamontCranston
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could check deviantart, epilogue.net, and conceptart.org. Plenty people there doing Star Wars/sci-fi art.

Have the 15 issues of the Adventure Journal been put online?
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LamontCranston wrote:

Have the 15 issues of the Adventure Journal been put online?

I've only ever seen 16 and 17.
LamontCranston
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah same masque. Very strange, even the old Polyhedron magazines that carried Star Wars material are scanned and uploaded.
Schrute and others with copies of the Adventure Journal - would you fellas be willing to scan & upload pdfs to share with the rest?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: