The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force points and using light side points
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Force points and using light side points
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarash
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Force points and using light side points Reply with quote

I may let characters have light side points and use them just like dark side points. It will be seperate from force points. If a character gets a dark side point he losses so many light side points. I am thinking since using the dark side is much easier then using the light side to cap light side points at a certain number. That way the bonus you get on force skills will not be overpowering. It will be an added bonus for players to do the right thing etc. because they know if they mess up and get a dark side point they will loose the light side points they have.

I am not sure how I want to go about doing it. Any suggestions or comments are welcome. I am thinking maybe letting a beginning character have 1 light side point then as they progress maybe making a max of 5 light side points or something to that effect. The dark side is suppose to be easier but the light side is supposed to be equal but harder to learn right? I figure this would be a good balance and a good alternative for characters to stay good.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too sure about that. The whole purpose of the dark side point system is to show that the Dark Side is "Quicker, easier, more seductive". If you emplace a similar mechanic for the Light Side then you diminuish the seduction of the Dark Side's call.
Zarash
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be similiar yes but I would have a cap on it so it would not get out of hand. I think I know what you mean about the seduction of the dark side etc. I just think there should be light side with the dark side instead of having force points and dark side points. I have not gmed any games yet or anything I am still trying to get a really good grasp of the rules and change around things or houserule some things and see how it works.

I just think that there should be some kind of bonus for a character trying to do right but make it harder to aquire. It would give the force player character some kind of goal and help a newer player out as they seem to be really limited picking a force sensitive character at the start. I like this better then just giving a character a dark side point. If it gets out of hand or anything then I will probally take it out.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what it is true that a starting character who chooses to use the force is limited in nature, I dont think that this would be a good rule to add. As gry said - the bonuses given for going dark side are to represent the "quick and easy path" to learn the dark side (easier to become a dark side master then it is a light side one).

Now instead of changing this rule, think about what type of game you want to play and the type of players that are in it. If you have a good group, the players wont mind if the force sensitve player gets bonus dice to their character. You might even offset it with a force character gets no equipment, where a non force character gets 30,000 worth of equipment.

So there are ways to make jedi characters not pieces of flimsiplast, but you have to know the jealousy level of the party first. If your players are ok with one being a jedi, and obviously more powerful, then just give bonus dice to the jedi. Perhaps running a higher powered campaign as well (bonus dice to everyone) is a viable option.

all in all I think that there are many other ways that you can offset the weakness of starting force sensitives, rather then changing the rules.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Zarash
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When making a force sensitive character can you let the player exchange some of the 7 skills for the force skills? For example you take away 2 attributes for sense and control and have 1d in each. Is it ok to let a character use some of the 7 skill points to raise the force skills like regular skills? Like raising the sense and control to 2d each by substituting 2 skill die? Would it be ok to let the charcater have the extra bonus from the skill die only when in lightsaber combat or something like that? When does a force sensitive player become to powerful and upset play balance?

Since you are both saying it would be a bad idea I am sure you both have much more experience then me. Would this be a more viable option to use?
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can. Once you've established the 1d with the attribute dice, then you can use the skill dice to raise it. Also remember that the force skills are as cheap as normal skills cp wise.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, if you do go with the light side cap, how about they can get 1 for every 3d they have in their highest force skill? So there isn't a benefit for having 1 or 2d, but at 3d they get the 1d benefit.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarash wrote:
When making a force sensitive character can you let the player exchange some of the 7 skills for the force skills? For example you take away 2 attributes for sense and control and have 1d in each. Is it ok to let a character use some of the 7 skill points to raise the force skills like regular skills? Like raising the sense and control to 2d each by substituting 2 skill die? Would it be ok to let the charcater have the extra bonus from the skill die only when in lightsaber combat or something like that? When does a force sensitive player become to powerful and upset play balance?

Since you are both saying it would be a bad idea I am sure you both have much more experience then me. Would this be a more viable option to use?

Depends on the GM; some allow, others don't. Personally, I started allowing this some years ago and it works fine. It makes the Jedi a little more competent in the Force (but still very prone to failure), and maintains their weakness compared to the other characters by reducing their available skills. The reduced skills, in conjunction with their reduced attributes, make them still on par with, or weaker than, the other characters despite mild competence in the Force.

Giving some extra dice to the Jedi to allocate will help even the playing field starting out... but I'm not huge on that idea. I like the idea of weak/squishy Jedi just learning their stuff... it makes the power they attain later all the more appreciated. Starting out powerful and getting more powerful is a bit of a let down and there's no sense of accomplishment.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Zarash
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nephew wants to play a smuggler type and brother is wanting to play a jedi apprentice character. I just did not want his character getting wiped out on the first fight they have. It seems like the force sensitive characters are very limited. I know from you all that they get more powerful later but I was just concerned that if his character gets killed off fast it would turn him off the game. They have played D&D before so it won't be to much of a shock but this is a totally new rules set for them to learn.

I am trying my best to set things up. They like playing with figures as well as roleplaying so I had to figure out the character moves etc compaired to the squares on the map. It has been a pain to try to figure out how I want to do it.

Characters
I figure at cautious movement it will be at 1/4 move because I am going to set each square on the map at 2 meters. So at cautious move they move 5 meters which would equal 2 squares 1/4 of 10 would be 2.5 so I will round down.

At crusing it will be half move which will be 5 because half of 10 is 5 and it would equal 10 meters on the map with squares.

High speed will be the actual move rate which is 10 and on the map that would equal 20 meters.

All out will be double there move which on the map would be 40 meters but moving 20 squares on the map.

I will actually be sticking with the move that they give in the book for each speed mode.

Vehicle movement was alot harder I took the vehicles move and divided it by 10. So if I have a combat snowspeeder it would be 350 divided by 10 which equals 35 from there I made that the all out speed. after that I kept having it down to cautious speed. I did this so it would work out on a map with squares.

So the air speeder would equal
All out = 35
High speed is half that rounded up = 17.5 which would be 18
crusing is half that which =9
Cautious is half that which is 4.5 = 5

Taking an AT AT is 21 divided by 10 2.1 round down to 2
All out is 2
high speed is 1
crusing is .5 so every other round it can move 1
Cautious is .25 so every 3rd round it can move one

Pretty complicated but thats what I came up with for vehicle map movement lol. For space battles I am going to stick with Star Warriors I think. I enjoy trying to figure things out and I am very lackluster in the gm part of games. I still have yet to figure out an adventure I want to do. I have a few ideas and will probally post in the adventures section so you guys can give me some ideas.

Thanks for all the help so far. I love this site a great group of friendly people.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarash wrote:
My nephew wants to play a smuggler type and brother is wanting to play a jedi apprentice character. I just did not want his character getting wiped out on the first fight they have. It seems like the force sensitive characters are very limited. I know from you all that they get more powerful later but I was just concerned that if his character gets killed off fast it would turn him off the game. They have played D&D before so it won't be to much of a shock but this is a totally new rules set for them to learn.

Well, that comes down to making good choices as the character. Life expectancy goes WAY up when a character actively avoids being in a fight (which is something a Jedi should aspire to anyway). Yes, Jedi are easily killed... but in Star Wars, pretty much everyone is; that's part of the appeal of the system, doesn't matter if you're Chuck down the road, Han Solo or Luke Skywalker, a single stray blaster bolt could end your career pretty quick (unlike other game systems where it takes colossal damage to slow someone down).

If the character makes use of things like cover, dodging (or not dodging if the range difficulty is probably higher than their Dodge skill), smooth talking their way out of a confrontation, etc. the character should be able to make it through the early vulnerable stage of the game. Since they're accustomed to D&D already, think of it like playing a wizard... quite weak and vulnerable early on, but a powerhouse as you get into higher levels; you don't send your wizard into melee with the Fighters.

As for the maps/grids... don't put TOO much into it. It's a tool to help you organize your combats, it's not THAT big a deal. Remember, one of the major strengths of d6 is it's streamlined simplicity; adding complicated rule sets to muddy it up means that you should probably consider a different game system. Keep it loose, keep it easy. Putting too much math and precise measurement into it will kill the game.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: