The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Armor Weapons Skill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Armor Weapons Skill
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Armor Weapons Skill Reply with quote

As the caption states, is there such a skill?

having watched mandalorian it dawned on me that many of the weapons installed in his armor should be used with such a skill rather than like "missile weapons" for the knee "missiles" he uses.

I can in many ways see the same with some of the "wrist weapons" that is not covered in the general laser gauntlet, or wrist lasters.

I would place the skill under maybe Dexterity, or possibly being a skill where you an installed weapon system , much like in a powersuit and a vehicla I may be inclined to place it under mechanical, but to me for now DEX makes the most sense.

Anyone have something on this skill at all?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have sworn there was an already existing thread for what skill should weapons attached to armor use.. but my search fu must be on the frits...
fogger1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Armor Weapons Skill Reply with quote

Mamatried wrote:

having watched mandalorian it dawned on me that many of the weapons installed in his armor should be used with such a skill rather than like "missile weapons" for the knee "missiles" he uses.

I can in many ways see the same with some of the "wrist weapons" that is not covered in the general laser gauntlet, or wrist lasters.

I would place the skill under maybe Dexterity, or possibly being a skill where you an installed weapon system , much like in a powersuit and a vehicla I may be inclined to place it under mechanical, but to me for now DEX makes the most sense.

It exists in RAW but it's not really well described. It doesn't show up in the skill lists in either 2nd edition book, or anywhere else that I can recall.

Boba Fett seems to always have it at 6D, and his wrist lasers and flame projector are listed as using the armor weapons skill in the 2nd ed. sourcebook as well as the movie trilogy sourcebook and Dark Empire. The other weapons on his armor (Turbo Projected Grappling Hook, Rocket Dart launcher, Concussion Grenade Launcher) are listed as using missile weapons, however.

Jodo Kast also has it, at 5D.
Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Armor Weapons Skill Reply with quote

fogger1138 wrote:
Mamatried wrote:

It exists in RAW but it's not really well described. It doesn't show up in the skill lists in either 2nd edition book, or anywhere else that I can recall.

Boba Fett seems to always have it at 6D, and his wrist lasers and flame projector are listed as using the armor weapons skill in the 2nd ed. sourcebook as well as the movie trilogy sourcebook and Dark Empire. The other weapons on his armor (Turbo Projected Grappling Hook, Rocket Dart launcher, Concussion Grenade Launcher) are listed as using missile weapons, however.

Jodo Kast also has it, at 5D.

it could have been this Boba Fett thing I noticed.
Now what I can see given the weapons used is a speciality skill or yes a seperate weapon skill.

I can see it either way work mechanically like missile weapons, Blaster and maybe a speciality like wrist blasters.

but yes I was wondering about some write up on the skill rather than just the vague references....it could imo have been an error and meant to be blaster specializations like wrist blasters.

But seeing din Djarin again and the knee pad "missiles" I can see this in a way be missile weapons, but still is so small I can't see anyoe with the skill alone even knowing about the weapon, and for that I would say armor weapons.

is just the LOL, the rules and write up on the skill I actually miss
pakman
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call them a specialization of my shooting skill, Marksmanship(integrated weapons).
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I had seen the Armor Weapons Skill detailed in the Bounty Hunters Galaxy Guide. Please do not hold me to this as I have not been able to run a Star Wars game since 2007 and currently have no access to my books to verify this. I also would not be able to say if it was the first edition or second edition of that book (I have both editions of many of the GGs). If you have or can get access to that book, I would look there. I am fairly certain that GG had more detailed rules for modding Armor and Weapons.
fogger1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
I believe I had seen the Armor Weapons Skill detailed in the Bounty Hunters Galaxy Guide. Please do not hold me to this as I have not been able to run a Star Wars game since 2007 and currently have no access to my books to verify this. I also would not be able to say if it was the first edition or second edition of that book (I have both editions of many of the GGs). If you have or can get access to that book, I would look there. I am fairly certain that GG had more detailed rules for modding Armor and Weapons.

I have that here, lemme check...

Bounty Hunters was only released for 2nd ed. - in a quick skim, I can't find anything on armor weapons (aside from the skills under the aforementioned Boba Fett and Jodo Kast). The weapons detailed in the book are all blaster or missile weapons or what have you, even when they're something I'd expect to see on armor (wrist lasers, .

No modding rules either. The only modification rules I know of are in the rulebooks, or Cracken's Rebel Field Guide (1st ed.) or Galladinium's (2nd ed.). I may be misremembering, though.
fogger1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ran across a brief description of armor weapons as well as a weapon that uses it, in Adventure Journal #3, from the "Outlaw Battle Armor" article.

Quote:
Armor weapons is a Dexterity skill used to fire blasters and other firearms mounted on the armor.

Also of note:
Quote:
Missile weapons is used when using a missile weapon incorporated into a suit of armor. Missile weapons include mini-proton torpedo launchers and grenade launchers.

It also goes into brawling and melee combat in armor, and the powersuit operation skill.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems odd to me that a Blaster, a Firearm and a Flamethrower would be separate skills if they were of a hand-held design, but suddenly become one skill once they're incorporated into armor. If the game's design recognizes enough of a difference in the mechanism, even if the different types of weapon are configured as pistols, rifles, carbines or what have you, then that should carry across into the weapons when they are integrated into a suit of armor.

I tend to agree with pakman, in that an Armor Weapon should be a Specialization of whichever normal Ranged Weapon Skill said weapon falls under.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Armor Weapons Skill Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
It seems odd to me that a Blaster, a Firearm and a Flamethrower would be separate skills if they were of a hand-held design, but suddenly become one skill once they're incorporated into armor. If the game's design recognizes enough of a difference in the mechanism, even if the different types of weapon are configured as pistols, rifles, carbines or what have you, then that should carry across into the weapons when they are integrated into a suit of armor.

I agree. 1e had no flamethrower or missile weapons skill but Boba's armor had that tech, so in writing Boba's stats they created armor weapons to cover them all for simplicity's sake. Then when they adapted Boba's stats to 2e they had missile weapons and they made that update for applicable weapons but there still wasn't a flamethrower skill, so they carried the armor weapons skill forward to cover that in his 2e stats. Then later there were non-armor flamethrowers so they needed a non-armor-related skill to cover it, but they just didn't go back to update Boba's stats.

On my skill list, I have a flame/spray weapons skill and no armor weapons skill.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Armor Weapons Skill Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
On my skill list, I have a flame/spray weapons skill and no armor weapons skill.

Same, although I would likely allow a character to earn a familiarity bonus that is applied to weapons integrated into their personal armor.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

I tend to agree with pakman, in that an Armor Weapon should be a Specialization of whichever normal Ranged Weapon Skill said weapon falls under.

I agree there.. If they are separate one way, why shouldn't they be separate the other??
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Armor Weapons Skill Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:

Same, although I would likely allow a character to earn a familiarity bonus that is applied to weapons integrated into their personal armor.

Since armor-integrated weapons would likely be the minority in those weapon types, I would probably handle it as an un-familiarity penalty for the armored versions until a character becomes acclimated to it (rather than armor weapons be a default difficulty with a familiarity bonus eventually). Honestly I do not remember how I've done it before because armor weapons appear so rarely in my game.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: